Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flowing Springs

Options
  • 29-08-2010 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭

My girlfriend father was telling me that there is a spring out in one of his fields and it only begins to flow during a spell of settled weather. It's a well known fact around the locality that when the normally dry springs begin to flow that a spell of settled weather is coming.

Anyone know is there a scientific explanation for this?

Also if anyone could recommend a book on these types of weather related observations it would be brilliant.

Cheers weather boardies :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

I can't think of any concrete scientific explanation, but then again im not to great at these sort of things:D.

It sounds like the sort of thing the weather predicting postman from Donegal uses to predict the weather. If true it's interesting. Maybe somebody with better knowledge might be able to tell you more.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

hmmm, that's an interesting one alright. I can't think of any solid scientific explanation but I've come up with something that's plausible.

The springs usually rely on rainwater seepage in to their "recharge basin" to flow, so it's possible that after a spell of wet weather, there is usually a dry one at some stage, and the basin would be nicely topped up so the spring is flowing. Vice versa, after a dry spell the basin would be too low for the spring to flow, so when the wet weather comes, it still takes a while to top up the basin, so it;s not flowing though the wet spell (unless it's a really long one).

Also take into account that it takes a while for the rainwater to seep through the earth.

Or something. I dunno maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Coles

Seafields,

It would have to have something to do with the geology of the area. Any idea of the local type of rock?

I know it's a remote possibility, but are there any turloughs in the area? I recently read of one in Sligo that only occasionally drains away. Basically there is enough of a mud layer to act as a pond liner until the level drops to a level where the mud dries and cracks. The lake water would then seep into crevices in the limestone below and could emerge elsewhere as a dry weather spring.

I'm clutching at straws here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

SeaFields wrote: »
    My girlfriend father was telling me that there is a spring out in one of his fields and it only begins to flow during a spell of settled weather. It's a well known fact around the locality that when the normally dry springs begin to flow that a spell of settled weather is coming.

Anyone know is there a scientific explanation for this?

Also if anyone could recommend a book on these types of weather related observations it would be brilliant.

Cheers weather boardies :D

Interestingly, some weather lore from the US says the opposite

"Many springs that have gone dry will have a good flow of water before rain."
    High pressure air may reduce the flow of water from a spring, while the reduced resistance of a low pressure system will allow the water to flow more freely. http://www.lemen.com/WeatherLore1.html

and its also mentioned in this book on weather lore which you can browse using this link
    http://books.google.com/books?id=EJBQG-K904cC&pg=PA22&lpg=PA22&dq=sprinsa+%2B+weather+lore&source=bl&ots=-ZRPAGHj1P&sig=7-iJBj4RFjII_4R84c1OHFN0goY&hl=en&ei=y4Z7TIXRIo2N4Aa7kKCrBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CB4Q6AEwAg#v=onepage&q&f=false

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Coles wrote: »
    It would have to have something to do with the geology of the area. Any idea of the local type of rock?

I know it's a remote possibility, but are there any turloughs in the area?

I cant answer either of those questions except to say that the landscape is heavily influenced by the last ice age around there with plenty of features around the locality. This spring is located half way up a mountain too.
    Fionagus wrote: »

Thanks for the link, will have a flick through it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement