Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good ice cream shop in town

Options
  • 29-08-2010 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

I remember when I was younger, one of the biggest treats of going into town was getting an ice cream in The Vineyard. Tiramisu flavour was my poison of choice. Since it became a Spar, there hasn't really been a good ice cream shop in town, at least that I know of. Scoop in the Eyre Square Centre is gummy and tasteless, and Murphy's in McCambridges is a joke (€5 for two small scoops?).

I was down in Kilkenny for the past few days and there was a lovely ice cream shop called Emily's, who made their own homemade ice cream. It was really competitively priced too, €4 for three huge scoops on a cone or in a tub and some of the nicest and largest selection of ice cream on offer. They also sold them in Ben and Jerry's-style 500ml tubs and if only I had some way of bringing them home without going off I would have bought ten of them!

I just think Galway is crying out for a good, homemade ice cream shop that doesn't charge ludicrous prices for a teaspoon of "luxury gelato" or something stupid. Just good, tasty and homemade ice cream. It's hard to tell how popular it would be during the non-summer months, but the Shake milkshake bar seems to do good business during the winter.

Anyone else feel like going for a few scoops? :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Jaysus the Vineyard, had forgotten about that.

A honeycomb cone was the reward for being a good boy in town. I can still remember how good it tasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

The shop on Bridge street (whose name I can never remember) do an awesome 99... it's got mystical flavoury bits shot through it. Lime, raspberry and the like

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Jaysus the Vineyard, had forgotten about that.

Pfft. Fcuk that. When it was Murrays, the cones they did for 65p were feckin massive.

Only other shop in galway that came close in size was the Hobby Horse out in the shopping centre. The reward for behaving yourself while in Quinnsworth with the auld pair.

The shop on Bridge street (whose name I can never remember) do an awesome 99...

MacIsaacs
    it's got mystical flavoury bits shot through it

Fnarr fnarr :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

soundbyte wrote: »
    Pfft. Fcuk that. When it was Murrays, the cones they did for 65p were feckin massive.

Murrays! Thank you. I was trying to remember what it was called before the Vineyard. Killer 99's!

• Advertisement

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Killer 99's!

99? Bloody rich kid :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Apparently the ice cream in Sheridans is nice. I've not tried it and don't know the price but I've heard people rave about it.
    Buon Appetito do ice cream too, their prices are usually reasonable so I'd say their ice cream wouldn't be too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

moonflower wrote: »
    Apparently the ice cream in Sheridans is nice. I've not tried it and don't know the price but I've heard people rave about it.
    Buon Appetito do ice cream too, their prices are usually reasonable so I'd say their ice cream wouldn't be too expensive.

Which Sheridans is this?

And I've had Buon Appetito ice cream twice now. Really expensive for the amount you get and nothing special to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

The Cheese shop, in town. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was a total rip off, but I've heard very good things about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Elfman

OMG you just blew my mind mate back in 1st year in college we used to hit the vineyard for the ice cream, honey comb or the giant 99 . That and pondering if a pasty 18 years old Cavan boy could pull off the Hugh Hefner look with one their wooden pipes..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Try the new Revive in the shop across from Tigh Neachtins that used to sell lingerie. Not as expensive as McCambridges, I think.

JustMary wrote: »
    Try the new Revive in the shop across from Tigh Neachtins that used to sell lingerie. Not as expensive as McCambridges, I think.

Tried there too. Still very expensive though. Better ice cream and cheaper than McCambridge's, but still not great. Flavours are a bit dull and there's not that many of them.

Also it's bought-in, is it not? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Also it's bought-in, is it not? :)

What does that mean? (sorry, I genuinely don't understand)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dadsobjection

I remember when I was younger, one of the biggest treats of going into town was getting an ice cream in The Vineyard. Tiramisu flavour was my poison of choice. Since it became a Spar, there hasn't really been a good ice cream shop in town, at least that I know of. Scoop in the Eyre Square Centre is gummy and tasteless, and Murphy's in McCambridges is a joke (€5 for two small scoops?).

I was down in Kilkenny for the past few days and there was a lovely ice cream shop called Emily's, who made their own homemade ice cream. It was really competitively priced too, €4 for three huge scoops on a cone or in a tub and some of the nicest and largest selection of ice cream on offer. They also sold them in Ben and Jerry's-style 500ml tubs and if only I had some way of bringing them home without going off I would have bought ten of them!

I just think Galway is crying out for a good, homemade ice cream shop that doesn't charge ludicrous prices for a teaspoon of "luxury gelato" or something stupid. Just good, tasty and homemade ice cream. It's hard to tell how popular it would be during the non-summer months, but the Shake milkshake bar seems to do good business during the winter.

Anyone else feel like going for a few scoops? :cool:

i think that they are keeping this good secret to themselves in kilkenny its lovely and so many choices my kids thought they were in heaven and i got change of ten euros. brill keep it going emilys

JustMary wrote: »
    What does that mean? (sorry, I genuinely don't understand)

Sorry, I might have been a bit ambiguous there. I just meant it's not homemade, if I recall correctly. I think it's just an ice cream manufacturer along the lines of Murphy's or Maud's. Not sure of the name though.
    i think that they are keeping this good secret to themselves in kilkenny its lovely and so many choices my kids thought they were in heaven and i got change of ten euros. brill keep it going emilys

Haha, I'm guessing you did a Google search for "emilys ice cream shop kilkenny"? This appears to be result number one for that search string.

It's true, I was drooling at the colors alone, never mind the taste. I'd love to have somewhere like that in Galway. Somewhere where you'd direct a tourist to, as "a good place to get an ice cream". Nowhere like that at the moment. Although you can't beat a 99 on a hot summer's day :)

Bought some of the ice cream outside Sheridan's yesterday. Have to say, it was the best I've tasted in Galway. It was a little pricey; €2.50 for one scoop and €1.50 for each scoop after that.

I got one scoop of Tiramisu and one scoop of Cookies and Cream. It was absolutely divine. Lovely guy serving it too. Told him I'd give it a good review on my ice cream thread on Boards if it was any good. So I'm living up to my promise!

Now that was proper ice cream. Kudos Moontown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Anyone been to "Ice" next door to Coco's in Salthill?

It looks good but I haven't tried it though.

ErnieBert wrote: »
    Anyone been to "Ice" next door to Coco's in Salthill?

It looks good but I haven't tried it though.

I have. It's nice. Had a lovely Turkish Delight ice cream. Shame about being so far out though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 foodfetishist

Bought some of the ice cream outside Sheridan's yesterday. Have to say, it was the best I've tasted in Galway. It was a little pricey; €2.50 for one scoop and €1.50 for each scoop after that.

I got one scoop of Tiramisu and one scoop of Cookies and Cream. It was absolutely divine. Lovely guy serving it too. Told him I'd give it a good review on my ice cream thread on Boards if it was any good. So I'm living up to my promise!

Now that was proper ice cream. Kudos Moontown.
    Haha! That's brilliant. We were talking about you after Saturday...wondering if you were actually going to put up a reply!

Haha! That's brilliant. We were talking about you after Saturday...wondering if you were actually going to put up a reply!

Haha, thanks for checking up on me!

Have to say it was great ice cream. Expect me back, just not during this weather :rolleyes:

On the subject... have you considered opening an ice cream shop in town? :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement