Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nikon D90 and Canon 550D choice

• 29-08-2010 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

From the start i do apologise as i know that there is another thread covering some of this but i really could do with a hand on this one. I am finally going to take the plunge and commit myself to using a dslr after many years of p&s and lately bridge cameras as i would like to take my photographic skills (or lack of) up a level. After many weeks of research i finally decided that only 3 cameras fitted my criteria the Nikon D90, Canon 550D and the Sony A550 (now discontinued i think). So that left me with 2 choices and from reading everybodies advice on these pages i went to my local camera shop to try them out and suddenly my mind was made up (or so i thought) it had to be the Nikon just because it felt a little bit better in my hands but that is not saying the Canon was bad because its not its just that the D90 felt more comfortable and seems better made (maybe thats because its a little heavier?). Well anyhow to my problem and in a nut shell its this, both cameras are very good but the D90 is a 2 year old model and the 550D is basically brand new so i am fearful that if i do commit myself to the D90 it might be obsolete in a year or two but as the 550D is still new it will be around for a bit longer. By the way, my main criteria when it came to choosing which camera, was namely picture quality, price and ease of use. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

The replacement of the Nikon D90, the D7000 is supposed to be announced on September 15th, you might want to wait and see what's in store:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Now is a great time to buy a D90. What matter if they become discontinued? They will still remain a great camera. the 550D will be replaced in time too. The images you get from the cam are more important than how up-to-the-minute your gear is.

I use an old D200, love it. Sure there's much better out there, but nor for what I paid ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Now is a great time to buy a D90. What matter if they become discontinued

The main reason is because the supposed specs for the D7000 are awesome (basically like a baby D700, and better than the current D300s) -I'd say hold off till it's actually announced, compare the specs with the D90 and decide then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 nc66

Thanks for all the replies i suppose if i have waited this long another few weeks wont hurt and you never know the price of the D90 might come down a little bit more if the supposed specs for the D7000 are true. Once again thanks for input.

The main reason is because the supposed specs for the D7000 are awesome (basically like a baby D700, and better than the current D300s) -I'd say hold off till it's actually announced, compare the specs with the D90 and decide then

That won't make the current D90 any less of a camera though, is what I meant. Of course the upgrade will be better, be silly otherwise. But I bet the price tag will be nice n' juicy too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

That won't make the current D90 any less of a camera though, is what I meant. Of course the upgrade will be better, be silly otherwise. But I bet the price tag will be nice n' juicy too.

That's absolutely true... it's more seeing what the difference in price/performance is and making the judgement then on if it's worth trying to pick up a bargain, or going for the new, shiny option (I may well end up getting the 'old' D90 myself!)

Oh, you can bet if i come into a wee windfall by time it's out, I'll treat myself :D But I think more realistically, I'll be keeping a close eye on D90 bargains.

Advertisement