Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road bike for new year

• 29-08-2010 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hi guys. I know that there are tons of first roadbike threads at the moment so I will keep this one to the point, and to be honest I'm looking for feedback on a specific model. I have battled the 'hybrid or road' battle (currently MTB). And have read everyones advice that eventually you'll want drop bars and reluctently accepted this - I trust you and know I would regret flat bars down the road (no pun intended). So anyway, first road bike, want comfort, long distance, build fitness, join club, sportiv but to complete - not to win or particularly race. Reliability, comfort, value so now the big choice is the bike - after much deliberation I reakon the giant defy 2: feedback good and bad please! Thankyou!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

Giant Defy 2 is a reasonable bike. You'll probably enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

Thanks serendip - is it the best fit for the type of bike I'm looking for ie a first road bike for under 1k? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

I'd say the Defy should fit your job description very well.

Possibly not the best value for money but there probably wouldn't be much in it.. -Do you mind saying much are you paying for it.??

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

I haven't shopped around for a price yet - still looking at all my options but think it's around €850 - it may not be under c2w though in which case I might get something second hand and nicer spec. It's just tough to know what is value for money and what's not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

aquanaut wrote: »
    I haven't shopped around for a price yet - still looking at all my options but think it's around €850 - it may not be under c2w though in which case I might get something second hand and nicer spec. It's just tough to know what is value for money and what's not!

At that sort of money there isn't going to be any huge improvement in spec. Its a good solid starter bike and the Tiagra stuff should give good service. If you like the look of it and it feels good then I would go for it.

S/h not a great option imo unless you are pretty clued in about bikes and prepared to hunt. Buying new reasonable quality and minding it is the best value in the long run.

Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement