Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kayaking with poor eyesight??

Options
  • 29-08-2010 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hello there,

I'm starting college soon and was thinking of joining a canoe/kayaking club. I wear glasses/contact lenses everyday. I was wondering what do other people (with poor eyesight) do when on the water. I don't particularly want to go out with poor eyesight but what else can I do ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Fluffybums

Daily disposable contact lenses generally, on the whole they stay in even when you have a dip. The other thing I got hold of is a set of prescription goggles - not very keen on these find the daily disposables much better. Do fish the lenses out after being in the water though to avoid infections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Hello there,

I'm starting college soon and was thinking of joining a canoe/kayaking club. I wear glasses/contact lenses everyday. I was wondering what do other people (with poor eyesight) do when on the water. I don't particularly want to go out with poor eyesight but what else can I do ???

You can wear glasses with a strap or string on, for racing or flatwater in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

I have plenty of mates that Kayak white water with disposable contacts.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

I could also suggest prescription goggles. As in the swimmer kind. Or just paddle with your eyes shut like I do. :-)

Don't let it stop you paddling.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭K2

i paddled for many years using a neoprene strap to hold the specs on, worked a treat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

ZuppyLurk wrote: »
    I could also suggest prescription goggles. As in the swimmer kind. Or just paddle with your eyes shut like I do. :-)

Don't let it stop you paddling.

My stepson uses these ones
    http://www.aquagoggles.com/
    and they are great if a bit awkward.

Cooler, would be the daily disposables. They should stay in but if you do get them wet, change as soon as possible to avoid infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

You can't use contacts on the river. The germs!!

I don't have great vision either and it is a bit annoying (keep an eye out for stray branches, they come out of nowhere!). It makes it harder to notice details and things but you get used to it. It doesn't make paddling any less enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Conal1

I use an old pair of glasses when paddling, tied on with a strap, which you can get from any opticians for about €5. (Try & get a strap you can tighten, not all can) I've been upside-down under the water more often than I care to remember and I have never lost them nor have the lenses ever been pushed out of the frame . I reckon wearing a helmet helps keep them on as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

You can't use contacts on the river. The germs

You can, I and many others have without issues, although they can wash out. If you are not comfortable with that glasses straps work well even on very powerful water.

The ultimate solution is laser surgery. Can't recommend it enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

KenHy wrote: »
    You can, I and many others have without issues, although they can wash out. If you are not comfortable with that glasses straps work well even on very powerful water.

The ultimate solution is laser surgery. Can't recommend it enough

Laser is supposed to be very painful!!!

• Advertisement

Not at all. Disconcerting for a few hours maybe, but definitely not painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I was at canoe polo yesterday...eye surgery would make life so much easier!! Its so hard when everyone is out of focus :P I'm just worried that 10 years down the line it would stop working and then I'd be screwed. :P

It's not a case that Laser Surgery can "stop working". It wont stop natural degregation of your eyesight as you get older, but you certainly wouldn't be left screwed in 10 years as a result of having it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

lots of discussions on surgical corrections on the eyecare forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1012

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭baloonatic

The current slalom world champion used to rock glasses with inch thick lenses. Since got lazered. I did too, you won't regret it.

Advertisement