Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2 stroke v 4 stroke

• 29-08-2010 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

hi would a 4 stroke outboard be much more lighter on petrol than a 2 stroke ? whats for & against both engines.please.
    thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭murphym7

coolvale wrote: »
    hi would a 4 stroke outboard be much more lighter on petrol than a 2 stroke ? whats for & against both engines.please.
    thanks all.

Simply put the 2 stroke, in theory, burns more fuel than the 4 stroke, this only become important with a big engine - you would not really notice on a small outboard. The 2 stroke does however give more punch per HP than the 4 stroke. The 2 strokes are lighter and have a better power to weight ratio (only really important on really big engines or very small boats)

The 4 stroke, again in theory, should last longer as it has its own lubrication system unlike the 2 stoke that has a mixed petrol lubrication system. 4 strokes make less noise also.

I am unsure though as to whether the manufacturers are permitted to make 2 strokes any more though (environmental reasons I think).

Basically if I was buying a 2/3HP engine for my dingy/tender I would try and pick up a 2 stroke - if I was buying a 30/40 HP engine for a fishing boat I would go with a 4 stroke.

Advertisement