Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurogamer Expo

Options
  • 29-08-2010 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

Is anyone else heading over to this at the start of October (1st-3rd).

Could be good, and even though it's not the kind of event that people make announcements at, it'll be great to get hands on time with games - a few months before they come out in some cases!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,440 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I really want to go but I wasn't planning to still be in college when it was on :/ oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I am!

Retr0, I'm supposed to be in college too. All the cool kids are mitching :p

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I might head along to this. Does anyone want to form a posse? It saves me being the sad loner in the crowd. Instead I can be the sad loner in a group!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

I'm heading over for the Friday and Saturday with 2 friends, can't wait tbh. Trying to find something to do on the Friday night also.

Retr0, I know it's not missing the time, it's the cost incurred that is the issue, but afaik we're getting 2 days, flights and 1 nights accommodation for about €140. Sabre knows the exact figure, but it's very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I'm likely going, if I have the money. Had a great time last year.

• Advertisement

koneko wrote: »
    I'm likely going, if I have the money. Had a great time last year.

Any highlights in particular? Actually, do you have any advice/tips for this year? Things to avoid for example?

I missed it last year, so I'm really looking forward to this!

Highlight was Chet Faliszek from Valve. Rubbing his face in the fact we beat them at L4D, then getting a shout out during the dev session. Plus getting to hang out with friends while playing games. Rad times all round.

Tips:
    - Don't get there when it opens, mega queues and no real benefit (unless you're the very first person, who got a prize)
    - Be sure to check the exits a few times, they gave some free stuff away that ran out by the end of the day, only got stuff because we popped out for lunch
    - Wear comfy shoes
    - Bring a bottle of water
    - Meet up with people and get hammered
    - If you're someone working on getting into the game industry (dev, programming, art, whatever), they have mini career fair stuff set up, so maybe bring your CV I suppose!

Thanks koneko!

It would be cool if there was a decent number from boards heading over - could organise a few drinks or something!

Boards beers would be cool.

When I was there two (pretty sure it was two) years ago...

** There was a cool street exhibit - Human P.O.N.G.; was pretty funny.
    ** The careers fair is mainly aimed at programmers, artists, etc rather than some of the other areas (unfortunately) - I was hoping for something in the area of marketing.
    ** There are other things on - London gets BIG into games at times. EA had a massive stand set up in a square (trying to think of the name of the street - a main one anyway)...and there was an Indie game developer showcase nearby too.
    ** Be patient naturally - games will draw a crowd and CERTAIN games will definately. Some of those are more open so it may be a case of the players eventually get bored
    >> Street Fighter was winner stays on, Left4Dead was in batches of teams, LittleBigPlanet could have been the latter.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Boards beers would be cool.

London Boards Beers FTW!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Can somebody please point out to Eurogamer staff if you run into them how ridiculous their 4/10 review score for Mafia 2 was?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

And also their Darkfall review!

Have fun over there!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,440 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Would someone ask Ellie Gibson to marry me if they run into her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Hmmmm... I might grab a ticket for this as well, the prospect of a London boards piss up is very tempting!:p

*Mental note, ask Mel Gibson to marry Retr0gamer. God, I hope you're white and Christian!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

thank god i'm living in london at the moment. Gonna head over to this. I was at earls court for the movie/comic con recently and its a pretty good big space. Cash machine right outside the door and 2 more inside etc.

boards beers afterwards would be good!

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    thank god i'm living in london at the moment. Gonna head over to this. I was at earls court for the movie/comic con recently and its a pretty good big space. Cash machine right outside the door and 2 more inside etc.

boards beers afterwards would be good!

Great stuff, looks like we have a few people going at least, probably more to confirm over the coming weeks. I'm suggesting beers on the Friday night, because I won't be there Saturday night :D

Also, BlitzKrieg, IIRC a bunch of us bumped into you and Retr0 at VGL.

I'm meeting up with friends and going to EG piss-ups so wouldn't be up for a Boards beer, but could say hi to folks that make it over too :D
    If I'm going, still not sure :(

Also, BlitzKrieg, IIRC a bunch of us bumped into you and Retr0 at VGL.

You did indeed i got my fox signed at VGL...might bring him to this just in case I can snag another for the list (I recently had andrew robinson sign the back of his head)

koneko wrote: »
    If I'm going, still not sure :(

Beg, steal, borrow ;)
    BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    You did indeed i got my fox signed at VGL...might bring him to this just in case I can snag another for the list (I recently had andrew robinson sign the back of his head)

I'm also curious as to who we might bump into. I know there's absolutely ZERO chance of it, but I'd love to meet Cliff Blezinski and Peter Moore. Realistically, we're only going to get the promo guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Flights booked :D

Vegeta wrote: »
    Flights booked :D

633802202918840145-Excellent.jpg

🤪

I'm all booked to go too. So who's definitely going then? And what about this Boards Beers?

humanji wrote: »
    I'm all booked to go too. So who's definitely going then? And what about this Boards Beers?

Definitely going:

Sabre0001
    Mr. K
    Vegeta
    /V\etalfish
    Burning Eclipse (above 5 are all Friday/Saturday)
    Humanji
    Blitzkrieg

Not sure:
    Retr0gamer
    Koneko

As for beers, as previously pointed out a bunch of us are heading over Friday morning. Maybe meet up Friday night for a few?

Flights booked, going all days with a bunch of friends, luckily I bought my tickets when they went on sale initially as Saturday is all sold out now.

ahh f8Ck your kidding me...

I booked my flights last week and almost forgot to get tickets for the expo. Thank god I remembered in time.

i got friday and sunday...which will hopefully be fine for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I'm flying over on the Saturday morning with a couple of friends and we're staying for the Sunday too. Would it be worth getting Boards listed in the Social section of the What's On page?

• Advertisement

Some really interesting games are confirmed as playable. Can't wait to get hands on time with LittleBigPlanet 2. Few others as well.

Not sure if it's worth getting listed there, we're not a huge bunch... I suppose if this gets more interest, then maybe??

Advertisement