Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurogamer Expo

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Sorry to double post... but just to update

Gears of War 3 Beast Mode will be playable.

Fable III will be playable.

Peter Molyneux will be giving the Keynote speech on Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Sorry to double post... but just to update

Gears of War 3 Beast Mode will be playable.

score!
    Fable III will be playable.

score!!
    Peter Molyneux will be giving the Keynote speech on Friday!

where he will announce that fable 3 will give orgasms and do the laundry

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Looking forward to seeing Gears in action.

Would like to listen to Molyneux too - love his enthusiasm and the conviction with which he can pitch things that unfortunately don't always live up to it...Plus he's behind Theme Park and Dungeon Keeper (I thought Theme Hospital but was mistaken it seems) so all is forgiven!

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

How much was it for flights and all for you guys? Wouldn't mind going over but not too pushed going by my lonesome :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I note that Capcom have no announced presence at the Expo (currently). I'd be amazed if they didn't use the opportunity to show MvC3 and Dead Rising 2 (even though DR2 will be out by then).

• Advertisement

Mr. K wrote: »
    I note that Capcom have no announced presence at the Expo (currently). I'd be amazed if they didn't use the opportunity to show MvC3 and Dead Rising 2 (even though DR2 will be out by then).

MvC3 confirmed! Oh hells ya!

Also, Deus Ex Human Revolution presentation :)

How much was it for flights and all for you guys? Wouldn't mind going over but not too pushed going by my lonesome :P

Flights were around €40 each. Hotel came to £90 (for three).

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

This is the first expo I've gone to and I was just wondering what the story with the booths and sessions are. Like for the playable games, do you just line up, take a number or all just mosh into the booths? And with the speaker sessions, are they ticketed or first come, first served?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Mr. K wrote: »
    MvC3 confirmed! Oh hells ya!

Also, Deus Ex Human Revolution presentation :)

Off topic I know but it finally happened. The gamer score reversal :p

I suppose that's the fault of the thesis.

I just got a Facebook update saying that Dragon Age 2 is playable. That's me sorted then. :D

• Advertisement

humanji wrote: »
    This is the first expo I've gone to and I was just wondering what the story with the booths and sessions are. Like for the playable games, do you just line up, take a number or all just mosh into the booths? And with the speaker sessions, are they ticketed or first come, first served?

Some games are winner stays on (MvC3 is likely to take this road). Left 4 Dead (couple of years ago) was groups of 8 (vs mode) and after each match, the next set took their place.

Don't know about some of the more open games though (Dragon Age 2 for example). Saw Little Big Planet in action the last time but don't know how they got through people - maybe like in retail stores where you stare for ages til you guilt someone off :) I only mention this because of LBP2 being there.

Speakers will be a first come-first served system - almost certainly. Must scope out the size of the rooms though (and keep an eye on the queue).

Other Things I Just Spotted - Nintendo are now listed with Golden Eye and Metroid: Other M.

🤪

Other Things I Just Spotted - Nintendo are now listed with Golden Eye and Metroid: Other M.

well thats meh for me. No interest in goldeneye and Other M is only ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Saw Little Big Planet in action the last time but don't know how they got through people - maybe like in retail stores where you stare for ages til you guilt someone off :) I only mention this because of LBP2 being there.

Well, the levels in LBP are pretty short. If it's the same in 2, I imagine people will just get a level each.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

You pretty much queue up behind people, there are reps at each game that usually ask people to move on if they take too long. Wait until person in front of you finishes up, then you move up to the console/whatever.

Speaker sessions, people start queueing in advance, so depending on who is speaking you'd want to get there early. Molyneux for example, will be drawing a crowd, so you'll want to get there in advance and wait it out, to guarantee a seat. No ticketing last year.

koneko wrote: »
    You pretty much queue up behind people, there are reps at each game that usually ask people to move on if they take too long. Wait until person in front of you finishes up, then you move up to the console/whatever.

Speaker sessions, people start queueing in advance, so depending on who is speaking you'd want to get there early. Molyneux for example, will be drawing a crowd, so you'll want to get there in advance and wait it out, to guarantee a seat. No ticketing last year.

I have mixed feelings about Molyneux being first. I'd love to hear him, and will certainly queue. BUT... HMV were doing some special thing where you could get in at 9 on Friday, so if enough people got those tickets then the queue for Molynuex could be full before us plebs are allowed in... :(

Also, Yuji Naka (formerly Sonic Team) is giving a talk on Saturday. Would love to meet him, just to thank him for ChuChu Rocket... It was free after all!!

Also, Yuji Naka (formerly Sonic Team) is giving a talk on Saturday. Would love to meet him, just to thank him for ChuChu Rocket... It was free after all!!

ffs!!!

I would love to meet yuji naka and have him sign the fox :(

I see there is going to be a challenge zone featuring:
    F1
    FIFA 11
    Gran Turismo 5
    Halo: Reach
    Trials HD

Could be interesting!

🤪

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    I see there is going to be a challenge zone featuring:
    F1
    FIFA 11
    Gran Turismo 5
    Halo: Reach
    Trials HD

Could be interesting!

Marvel Vs Capcom 3 added to the challenge zone.

Also, Rock Band 3 confirmed. I'm set now.

Sunday sold out as well, so now the whole thing is sold out.

Well, it was hinted at before, but who's up for beers and any suggestions for venues? The Prince of Teck is just around the corner and is suitably nerdy sounding if you change the spelling.

As for nights, I'd prefer the Friday.

Friday suits me, I'll get back to you about the beers.

• Advertisement

Ah feck it. I just loosely planned out the times that I'll be arriving and it looks like I'm going to miss Molyneux's session. :(

Also, everyone going should take note that the District line is scheduled for works on the 2nd and 3rd. If you were planning to use the underground to get to Earls Court station, the Piccadilly line is the one you'll probably need. Or you can get the Circle line to Gloucester Road and it's about 10-15 min walk from there.

And if you're planning on using the underground, pick up an Oyster card. They're very handy and stops a lot of messing with change machines!

Ok I wont make it to friday due to all day lectures til 5pm... But I can come to the beers after and catch the end of the day.

But more importantly I didnt get a ticket for saturday and I really need someone to help a fellow boardsie out and slip in and get yuji naka's to sign my tails teddy which I use for all my autographs (it has 3 so far). but to actually have yuji naka would be the highlight for me really at the moment.

quickly got a look around tonight after college

Got to try 3D gran turismo and killzone 3. Not a fan of either series to begin with and 3D does nothing to improve my opinion of either.

it was pretty pointless on gran turismo adding nothing to the experiance and was noticable not on the sets that used the wheel etc set up.

Killzone 3 it was more apparant but was bloody annoying. Tilting your head in any direction just ruins the image as the colours all change etc. Which for me makes it unplayable as I tend to move my head abit.

As bad as 3D is most of the time for films its just so much more pointless on games from these experiances. Sure some details are highlighted, you hud and gun are more pronounced but because the experiance isnt scripted to the same extent as a film then much more of the time annoying background details stick out to you as you spin around. And I dont know why but it messed up the graphics on GT when cars got a certain distance from my car the textures got broken up by vertical lines. Kinda annoying.

The only game left for me to consider trying in 3D was starcraft 2 in the nividia booth only found it at the end.

Only other game I got a go of was GOW 3 with beast mode which was stupidly hard and clumbersome to control. yeah its cool getting to control monsters but it feels very much like toned down variants of the l4D horde and lack diversity.

It seems you can unlock better characters. But I was sucking at it so much that I never worked out how to unlock it. Also it wasnt in multiplayer. Only me on my own which made it harder.

Gonna give it another go on sunday for benefit of doubt.

Dance central was quite impressive I thought, mostly cause it seemed to pick up mistakes rather acurately. a Limb would flash red when it was done wrong, so you couldnt waggle your way through the moves ala some wii games. but I didnt get to try it or rock band 3. but intend to do both on sunday.

Slightly annoyed that games already on sale take up a chunk of floor, such as halo reach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Ah feck it. I just loosely planned out the times that I'll be arriving and it looks like I'm going to miss Molyneux's session. :(

Also, everyone going should take note that the District line is scheduled for works on the 2nd and 3rd. If you were planning to use the underground to get to Earls Court station, the Piccadilly line is the one you'll probably need. Or you can get the Circle line to Gloucester Road and it's about 10-15 min walk from there.

And if you're planning on using the underground, pick up an Oyster card. They're very handy and stops a lot of messing with change machines!

Tube travel is going to be an absolute disaster for ANYBODY planning on using it on Sunday evening/Monday (like me trying to get to work:();
    http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/16570.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Pretty cool time lapse vid of the setup and first day over on EG;
    http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/eurogamer-expo-2010-timelapse

Love the way a swarm of people suddenly fill the room:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Loved playing Killzone 3 myself. The 3D did nothing for it really, but the game itself controlled well and it looked superb.

PES 2011 is fantastic, played about five games against my buddy [at different times] and we both loved it.

GT5 was not that impressive to play, though I didn't see it in 3D.

Fable 3 looked very nice. The humour and voice acting seems to have ramped up in quality. The gameplay itself is very similar to 2 so no compalints there.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood is a mixed bag, while it looks fantastic, I am still not convinced that it works as a multiplayer game.

Enjoyed the Expo and though the NVIDEA women were smokin'.

Back after two days there. Great experience, a well run expo!

Couple of things:
    • Be prepared to queue (for everything!) - get comfy on the floor, wear comfortable clothes, etc.
    • Bring water - it's hot and there are queues inside
    • Be at developer talks 30-60mins beforehand (got lucky with RAGE - was there about 20mins before. LBP2 I was there a while before as well). They are interesting talks though
    • Challenge area isn't great - doesn't seem to be very well organised...but still cool to try out some of the games on show (MvC3 for example).
    • Gears of War 3 Beast Mode - there are two rows of systems set up for 5 player Multiplayer play -> Go to these...Otherwise you will be playing single player (think there are two other bays for these)

Try out the Indie games - only did one myself (B.U.T.T.O.N with some friends) but a good laugh...

ZELDA - Queue today was 2-3 hours at one point...Seems to be only one system and there is no looking over someone's shoulder as it's curtained off! It's like DisneyLand!

Main points before I sleep :) Also, sorry Blitzkrieg - my phone bugged out on me it appears. Much needed upgrade!

🤪

BTW could anyone else not find inFamous 2? On the map it was meant to be in the Sony section but even the staff didn't know where it was. Was really looking forward to that.

Otacon wrote: »
    BTW could anyone else not find inFamous 2? On the map it was meant to be in the Sony section but even the staff didn't know where it was. Was really looking forward to that.
    Infamous was beside where you could buy games. There were tv's set up with cushions to sit on.

• Advertisement

Infamous was beside where you could buy games. There were tv's set up with cushions to sit on.

Feck. Didn't see it. I saw Motorstorm there and assumed they were all that.

Advertisement