Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cable Wireless Modem

• 29-08-2010 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi,

Damaged my current cable wireless modem..

So I need to replace it.

Can anyone suggest a decent cable wireless modem, I run two laptops and one PS3 of the modem, all wireless connections.

Anywhere up to € 80 would be acceptable ......

My provider is UPC, not sure if that relevant or not

Regards & thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 mshaw43488

hi i got one from littlewoods.ie for 50 euro and its excellent is a buffalo airstation. i was bit worried about getting it asi have never used this brand . setup was 5 mins and the coverageis excellent it works properly at the other end of the house and in my garage take a look see what u think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 JohnDublin

Yes, I seen that, I couldn't find many reviews but if you are using it successfully then I might give that a go

Just wasn't sure if I needed a specific modem for UPC (other than obviously being a cable modem)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You'll have to get UPC to provision the modem, otherwise it won't work. UPC supply equipment that you use, but you do not own. If you broke it, then you broke UPC's property. They may still replace it for you.

The Buffalo Airstation is not a cable modem, so it won't work anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 JohnDublin

jor el wrote: »
    You'll have to get UPC to provision the modem, otherwise it won't work. UPC supply equipment that you use, but you do not own. If you broke it, then you broke UPC's property. They may still replace it for you.

The Buffalo Airstation is not a cable modem, so it won't work anyway.

Right .....

I seen the Buffalo Airstation is not a cable modem but thanks anyway

I didn't realise that you needed UPC to provision a modem. Its irrelevant anyway as today I got the UPC modem back working .... I say I got it back working, I plugged it n and it worked so really I didnt fix it :).

Another issue I have is the UPC modem is always dropping signal or losing connection when I have the 3 items connected, two laptops and 1 PS3 ....

If I was to get a router and connect it to the modem, I assume I don't need that provisioned and that may also improve my signal around the house. Would that be a fair assumption to make ?

Thanks in advance for your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Is the modem just a modem, or does it have a routing function too? If it's just a modem, then you can only have 2 items connected to it at a time, as UPC only give you 2 IP addresses. If you add your own router, that will take care of that problem, and should work fine. Just make sure it's not a DSL router.

• Advertisement
Advertisement