Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cracked Hands

• 29-08-2010 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi All,
    I have a 6 Month Baby, and latley i am having trouble with my hands,all my knuckles and sides of my fingers have cracked. it is from washing my hands. they are very stinging.
    i am not washing any more or less then i have done since i had my baby. i am sure it is some sort of dermititis ???? i am using Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream and balm to help, it works for a while.
    i just wanted some advice or feedback if anybody else is having difficulty with there hands.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

Try using the E45 cream I get breakouts on my hands a lot and this helps a lot

Hope this helps

I absolutely swear by La Roche Posay Lipikar Baume. It's for adults and young children suitable for hands face and body. It's the only thing that stopped my daughter's hands getting painfully chapped. It's not particularly expensive either and comes in a big tube that lasts for ages. Most stockists have samples of it, see if you can pick one up before buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bp1

Thanks for the advice, E45 does not work on my hands as i have gone through alot of it. I will try La Roche, i also just bought a soap free hand wash which i thing might help,as the soap in the washing stings my hands.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I found E45 rubbish, i use aqueous cream a big 500g tub for 4€, i use it after i Wash my hands (at least 40 times a day).

sometimes at night i use the same brand as the aqueous cream but an emollient instead.

each can picked purchased at the chemist,

its pointless using something more expensive because you just keep washing it off your hands.

If it is really bad see your doctor you might need a steroid cream.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I had this problem last winter and had it really bad last pregnancy.
    use aqueous vream to wash your hands and get cotton gloves for night time.
    I found e45 cream was of little help but the hand wash was good.
    Lather your hands in a good handcream then wear the gloves to bed,I found this helped loads.Nutrogena do good hand cream and l'occitane do good one but are expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

E45 is a water based cream, if this doesn't work for you, try Silcocks base which is oil based.

You can get a large tub very cheap and you can use it as a cream and as an emollient hand wash. It doesn't smell the prettiest but it works. Its recommended if your baby has dry skin too.

I find just the plain old Vaseline Intensive Care hand and nail cream (pink bottle) very good and not greasy, and it smells nice too. Its also quite cheap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

E45 is a water based cream, if this doesn't work for you, try Silcocks base which is oil based.

You can get a large tub very cheap and you can use it as a cream and as an emollient hand wash. It doesn't smell the prettiest but it works. Its recommended if your baby has dry skin too.

I find just the plain old Vaseline Intensive Care hand and nail cream (pink bottle) very good and not greasy, and it smells nice too. Its also quite cheap!

I second the silcocks base, its sold by the same companys who sell the aqueous cream. (in fact i didnt know which one to get so i purchased all 3):D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bp1

Hi,
    Thanks for all the advice, i forgot about aqueous cream & Silcocks base both of which i have, i have the over night gloves and i have been using them for the past few days.
    there is a differance but not out of the woods yet. getting there !!
    i have decided to use all my hand creams i have in the house first before i go buying more as i have just about all that everybody has mentioned it is just getting to use them.
    i will keep you posted !!
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Moylaragh

I have the exact same problem.

Here is what the Dermotologist told me -

Wash finger tips only in hot water - not entire hands. Dont use scalding water

Use rubber gloves when doing dishes

NO SOAP.....

Gloves in shower when washing hair

If touch raw meat only wash with silcock's bace

Use only emulisfier most. on hands

Invest in disposible, rubber and cotton gloves for everyday tasks - 1 year on from bad hand dermatatis it is FINALLY improving

Get perscription for protopic cream (3%) f'ing life saver
    Dont touch raw veg or soak hands (in bath)

Mango and Butternut Squash are very bad raw on the hands

I am deadly serious about protopic cream after the doc telling me to "just moisterise" it was the ONLY thing that worked.

Dont get passed off like I did.. I think I was too wrooied about germs and over washed my hands...

I have RUINED my hands since the birth of mu son now an year and a half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I only started having this problem about 5 years ago and it usually only flares up in the winter. When it does it spreads all over my hands, in between fingers etc so is itchy and sore.

For me neutrogena handcream is the only one that works and I've tried lots including more expensive brands. It usually sorts the problem out in a few days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement