Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rain Harvester / Water Butt

Options
  • 29-08-2010 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Waterford City Council is now selling water butts (capacity 100 litres) for €35 incl delivery to your door.

Very useful if, like me you are a gardener. You just use the supplied fitting to attach it to your drainpipe & any rainwater going down your drainpipe is diverted into the rain harvester. It's very safe, has a lid & also comes on a plastic stand so you can pop your watering can under the little tap & fill it up to your heart's content !

You have to go into the Environmental Services offices on the 1st floor of the new Waterford Crystal building, fill in a form & hand over your money. I ordered mine on a Monday & it was delivered on the Wednesday, though they say to allow a week for delivery.

I'm very pleased with it, would definitely recommend it if you need to water pots / flowerbeds from time to time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

I've been looking for one of these.

How big is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Fishy1

About the same height as the city council wheelie bins, though not as wide. Looks nice & neat, very easy to install.
    Holds 100 litres.

Thanks

I need to get it through a door into a chicken run and hid it behind a shed

It's very good value as a lot of the smaller ones that only hold 100L cost more than this.

Oops! I got a bit carried away there, capacity is 100 litres, not 1000 ! I edited my posts to show correct capacity.

Sorry about that - I still got loads of fills out of it for my trusty watering can. :)

Still cheaper than most of them that are that size as the stand and other bits are usually extra anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

Any chance you could throw up a quick snap of yours, Fishy1?

The Da might be interested in one of these for his back yard, could be good to show him what one looks like and get a feel for size etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I was thinking, if you can elevate it near the top of the roof, you could get some pressure, and then use it for things like washing the car as well as watering the garden.

Would this be practical, or would you need a different system (maybe I should invent it myself :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

dayshah wrote: »
    I was thinking, if you can elevate it near the top of the roof, you could get some pressure, and then use it for things like washing the car as well as watering the garden.

Would this be practical, or would you need a different system (maybe I should invent it myself :) )

I wouldn't imagine you'd get great pressure from that height. Maybe if you got a wind-powered pump as well. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Adyx wrote: »
    I wouldn't imagine you'd get great pressure from that height. Maybe if you got a wind-powered pump as well. :p

And if the wind isn't blowing a solar-powered fan to blow the windmill :)

Seriously though, the windmills in Netherlands were made to pump water, so you might be onto somethings to have a windmill that would pump the water to an appropriate height.

Hi,
    Sorry for delay in replying. It's a bit too dark out at the moment to get a photo of the rain harvester, but I went outside & looked for the name. It says it's the "Be Green mini Rainsaver".

I googled it & found this info & image. Am chuffed because this website is charging €65.95 :D It looks very, very like the one I have, but I only paid €35 incl delivery from City Council.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭purplepug

Any idea if this is still going on?? Would be handy to get one in

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

best get one before they are made illegal
    http://lucas2012infos.wordpress.com/2013/05/02/collecting-rainwater-now-illegal-in-many-states-2-may-2013/

:P

But on a serious note, they are a great idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭Hooked

purplepug wrote: »
    Any idea if this is still going on?? Would be handy to get one in

Was watching the Waterford thread to check on one of my posts and saw this...

Spotted a 210 litre version in Aldi the weekend. FYI

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thursday-specialbuys-23rd-may/products-detail-page/ps/p/210-litre-water-butt-set/

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭purplepug

Ooo nice one thanks for the tip! Will check out the link now :D

Advertisement