Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Language Centre?

Options
  • 29-08-2010 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

Just wondering what the modules are like over there as electives go.

Also someone told me you are charged extra for them is that true?

I kinda think I know what elective I am doing semester 2 but for semester 1 I haven't found anything (although I only started looking about an hour ago lol). I thought a new language sounded interesting.:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭FewToLose

Hi there

Would definitely recommend one; you don't pay extra, or at least I hope not!! You didn't have to last year anyway

The modules are excellent in that they are broken down into so many different modes of assessment-oral, aural, mid-term, attendance, final exam, etc. The final exam is held in the last week of term (thus before revision week) so it is a major relief to have that out of the way before the RDS exams start.

I did French when I was in first year (French for General Purposes 2) and I loved it-it was an easy A. My only advice is to choose an offering (where possible) that spans over 2 days-one hour per day; I found the 2 hour stretch a bit too much.

Overall, I would definitely recommend them. Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

Thanks, yeah I remember getting a talk about it during orientation week but I can't remember much of that now.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 graw

Hi. I was terrible at languages in school. I haven't a word of Irish and lets just say, "excuse my French"! :) Anyway, while I was doing my undergraduate degree at UCD I decided to put my electives to good use so I took Russian Level 1 and Polish Level 1. I really didn't know what I was getting myself in for!! BUT, it turned out that I was not so bad at languages after all! For someone with a dismal experience with languages at secondary school I scored a 4.0 GPA in both modules. (A grades). So, if you are thinking of being adventurous but think it may be too difficult, listen to me, it's not! The teachers they have at the applied language centre are great, the classes are laid back and if you take the level 1 courses (ab initio) they start from scratch so you can't go wrong! Lesson one: hello, name, etc etc. Great fun! The classes tend to be lively, there is lots of interaction and it's an easy way to meet people.

Classes are usually small and take place from 6pm until 8pm. 10% for attendance and probably another 10% for homework assignments. 10% for class participation too? I forget exactly how it works but you get the idea and also without having to do much you'll pass and there is no worry about failing. Don't expect any trick questions on the written or oral exams. The course is 12 weeks... they won't expect you to be fluent - just get the basics down and you're sorted. A course outline would be something like: introduce yourself, talk about your family, your interest, describe people, order food, give directions, be familiar with numbers - that kind of thing!

Go on... give it a go! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Rii

It sounds good. I was considering taking a new language, but since I'll be doing Spanish, another language might be too much... I'm thinking Italian might be good. I was so surprised to find Polish is taught as well, never expected my native language to be on that list :D But I guess it's not very popular anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Seriously considering doing Russian or Japanese as an elective :) Just gotta decide which.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Sefirah

It's a really great programme- still can't believe that it's free! Rather disappointed that they've stopped teaching Hebrew, but hoping to get a place in Arabic instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Conor108 wrote: »
    Seriously considering doing Russian or Japanese as an elective :) Just gotta decide which.

I did the first 3 levels of Japanese, it's a lot of fun. Just depends what you're interested in really. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

I took Spanish level 4 and was really disappointed. We didn't cover anything new and the teacher was always missing classes. The other students weren't interested and everyone was just there for the A. It's the easiest class by far that I've done, but I wish I had done something interesting, enjoyable and where I could have learnt something instead.

I've heard good reports from friends who took level 1 classes in new languages.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

I like the idea of doing Russian or Arabic for a change. The only thing is those two languages appear to be available only in level one. Does that mean they teach you to say 'hello my name is' and that type of stuff and then you can't get any further?

If that was the case I'd rather revise my French because it goes up to level 6 and offers modules for business and science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 graw

There was only Level 1 Russian but they introduced level 2 about two years ago. I doubt they discontinued it.

• Advertisement

Kournikova wrote: »
    Just wondering what the modules are like over there as electives go.

Also someone told me you are charged extra for them is that true?

I kinda think I know what elective I am doing semester 2 but for semester 1 I haven't found anything (although I only started looking about an hour ago lol). I thought a new language sounded interesting.:D

They're free. If you're picking up a new language I think stage 1 or 2 is the way to go. I took stage 4 Spanish last year and didn't really work at it, failed, and have to substitute something else this year.
    Just make sure you get the right level, and you work for it (they're fairly hands-on, continuous-assessment type modules, and you'll be grand).
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭TigerIsa

Does anyone know about spanish gen purp 4 or 5, I wanted to take spanish as an elective but the intermediate ones are only on at 6, 7pm-ish! Does not fit into my timetable, I'd have 5 hours hanging around and it's not worth getting the two buses home just to come back in again.

Basically is it usually this time? I was hoping maybe next year it would be different so i could take it up then. Really want to keep up my spanish though!

TigerIsa wrote: »
    Does anyone know about spanish gen purp 4 or 5, I wanted to take spanish as an elective but the intermediate ones are only on at 6, 7pm-ish! Does not fit into my timetable, I'd have 5 hours hanging around and it's not worth getting the two buses home just to come back in again.

Basically is it usually this time? I was hoping maybe next year it would be different so i could take it up then. Really want to keep up my spanish though!

Last year I did Span Gen Purposes 4 and the classes were always around lunchtime so it does seem to change from year to year.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

I applied for an elective in Swahili as a joke. I might think that this was a mistake..

I applied for Japanese. Russian was on at a ridiculous time and while I'd prefer to do that, I'd really prefer to be at home with a cuppa at 7pm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

Which language in particular attracts good looking chicks? No serioulsy which language is easy to learn from scratch and beneficial career wise?

Guys do I need to go to the Applied Language Seminar? My sports induction is on at the same time so I can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭TunaSaladBB

Hi, I'm starting a Masters this semester. I don't get to choose any elective modules. Does anybody know if I there's any way I can take a language class? I don't mind if it doesn't go on my degree or doesn't give me any official recognition.

Advertisement