Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aiming to be average....

• 29-08-2010 11:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

Who What and why...
    Who......33yrs old, 70hrs a week working and a young family etc etc so training time will be limited to 6 - 8hrs per week. Background wise - have always been relativly active. Rowed competitively for years.....then a 10yr break where I just cycled/ran/rowed to keep fit. Las year my focus was the 2010 etape, which I completed and also developed the best fitness that I had in years.

Why....another log? Well the discipline of keeping one last year really focused me and makes you think about what youre doing. Also reading other logs here and on the ART forum, especially from people with a similar background/challenges/foucus to you are very inspirational.

What....the goals are muddy so far. Defintely to improve overall fitness and enjoyment of sport. But also to compete. Would love to do another etape/marmotte but dont think i will next year as july is a bad time work and family wise. Intend doing some adventure racing/duathalons in april and onwards. Also will be joining the local cycling club and taking part in the league and open races.
    Will admit to contemplating on turning evil and doing a tri season, but a 3hr spin yesterday, my first in 4 weeks, reminded me how much I love cycling.

Training proper, with a plan, starts next week. will post up details etc soon and any comments/suggestions would be appreciated. thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

Best of luck, i work similar hours so i know just how hard it can be to find time and motivation after a long day, so i'll be keeping to tuned in to your training log to see how it works out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

A new dawn today....lessons learned from last year included not starting too intense too early and also building up my core so.....

The next 2 months, sept and oct, will be preseason training. Each week Im aiming to get 2 1hr runs in, 2 core sessions (20mins rollers at 65%max HR and some abdominal and back pilates exercises) and also a 3hr cycle (65%maxHR)/swim session/1hr rollers session depending on the time available.

week 1 done....

Monday - core. 20 mins rollers warm up and 40 mins pilates type core exercises. RPE 3/10

Wed - LSrun. 8k 40 mins. HR, dont have wrist one but prob about 160. RPE 7/10. Been altering mytechnique recently to follow the pose method. So far no knee pains.

Sat - LSrun. 12k 1hr. RPE 7/10. Lovely evening so kept on running.....no knee pains but woke up sunday with shocking achilles tendonitis. Need to build slowly....am getting old now.

Sun - 40min swim. First time in months and found it surprisingly difficult. Had planned a 10 length warm up and the 10 sets of 100m with a 30s break.....but deceided to build slowly and just did lengths instead. RPE 6/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,611 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

whats your view on mixing running with cycling? I find it a good mix as I can do more overall. I do an 11k run on a Mon or Tue and on a Wed or Thurs I cycle 6km to a park and then do a 5km run then cycle home. Find I'm fresh for Sat cycle.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

Hi Ryder,
    Getting back to training after a longer break than you (and from a lower level of initial fitness !)

Interesting to see how you get on with the Pose method of running. I am carrying dodgy ankle that requires me to take the it too easy on runs. As soon as I try to push distance or speed (higher knee lifts) the ankle is very sore for the next few days.

Trying out something closer to a "marathon shuffle" which I am hoping will reduce the impact on my ankles. Not great for dirt track/forest road types runs though !

Aim is to push for the WW200 in 2011 - working from solo spins of 80km/600m at present.

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »
    whats your view on mixing running with cycling? I find it a good mix as I can do more overall. I do an 11k run on a Mon or Tue and on a Wed or Thurs I cycle 6km to a park and then do a 5km run then cycle home. Find I'm fresh for Sat cycle.

I like 1 LSD run a week, but no more. Running dosent do much for your cycling specific fitness so if you have a cycling related goal next season, and are short on time, I would drop the running. In the off season its an excellent cardiovascular stess, time efficient, and builds up joint/bone strength.
    Hi Ryder,
    Getting back to training after a longer break than you (and from a lower level of initial fitness !)

Interesting to see how you get on with the Pose method of running. I am carrying dodgy ankle that requires me to take the it too easy on runs. As soon as I try to push distance or speed (higher knee lifts) the ankle is very sore for the next few days.

Trying out something closer to a "marathon shuffle" which I am hoping will reduce the impact on my ankles. Not great for dirt track/forest road types runs though !

Aim is to push for the WW200 in 2011 - working from solo spins of 80km/600m at present.

The Pose method......dunno so far. Have my achilles tendonitis, for the first time ever. I decided to try and change my running style after I developed a knee injury last year. Looked up Pose and Chi running and they appear very similar - land on balls of feet/midfoot, quick steps, weight forard etc - and have had no pain running since. previosly i was a heel striker with long slow strides (im 192cm). Went for a extra long run on saturday, when i prob shouldnt, and developed the injury. I read up on the pose running style from a magazine, but you can buy the book online. The book includes some extra exercises, which i havent done, but mostly the style seems common sense - it helped me to imaging like i was running on bare feet and adopt that style while running.
    good luck with your goal.....with 80k spins now, youll have no difficulty with the WW200

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

Ryder wrote: »
    week 1 done....

Monday - core. 20 mins rollers warm up and 40 mins pilates type core exercises. RPE 3/10

Wed - LSrun. 8k 40 mins. HR, dont have wrist one but prob about 160. RPE 7/10. Been altering mytechnique recently to follow the pose method. So far no knee pains.

Sat - LSrun. 12k 1hr. RPE 7/10. Lovely evening so kept on running.....no knee pains but woke up sunday with shocking achilles tendonitis. Need to build slowly....am getting old now.

Sun - 40min swim. First time in months and found it surprisingly difficult. Had planned a 10 length warm up and the 10 sets of 100m with a 30s break.....but deceided to build slowly and just did lengths instead. RPE 6/10

Hey Ryder, i've read your log with interest so far. Your goals are fairly similar to my own & I may be borrowing some of your ideas & routines for my own plan.

Core work is definitely something I have to work on. I've tried the pilates & have a few exercises that i use whenever i'm in the gym. Just wondering what you're referring to when you say "core. 20 mins rollers warm up".

I was going to ask what RPE was for, but google answered that. Would I be right in thinking that using RPE is another (less scientific) way of doing what a HRM would do?

Hey Ryder, i've read your log with interest so far. Your goals are fairly similar to my own & I may be borrowing some of your ideas & routines for my own plan.

Core work is definitely something I have to work on. I've tried the pilates & have a few exercises that i use whenever i'm in the gym. Just wondering what you're referring to when you say "core. 20 mins rollers warm up".

I was going to ask what RPE was for, but google answered that. Would I be right in thinking that using RPE is another (less scientific) way of doing what a HRM would do?

Hi......RPE is officially measure using the Blorg scale, 1 - 14, but think that most like me use 1 - 10. I suppose it is like HR and can be as accurate. I have hr data for all my spins but wanted to use RPE this year as well as an additional measure.....largely because of work and family pressures, i want to compare their effect on my interval sessions. Its obviously also useful for my 'core' days when HR prob wouldnt be as relevant.

The 20 mins rollers is a 20min warm up on cycling rollers. I then spend roughly 40mins do core pilates exercises. the exercises are difficult and do work my core......but am still undeceided about the whole pilates thing. I bought a book on sports pilates and started on the basic workout but found it way too easy.....so jumped onto advanced. These are quiet hard but maybe im missing out on something by skipping all the basic and intermediate exercises?

Am expecting your log to be interesting. I think we do have similar goals although im content to survive at A4. I ve said it before that when moving from 'keeping fit' to actual training last year, i jumped straight in too fast. Looking back, i could have started my intensive work 4/5 months prior to the etape and spent the winter doing core work and enjoying sport more.....worth keeping in mind when your working on your main and minor goals for the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

Ryder wrote: »
    ......but am still undeceided about the whole pilates thing. I bought a book on sports pilates and started on the basic workout but found it way too easy.....so jumped onto advanced. These are quiet hard but maybe im missing out on something by skipping all the basic and intermediate exercises?

I did a beginner pilates class last year & asked about moving on to the advanced level as I found most of the exercises quite easy. I was told that as it was my first time concentrating on core work, I'd be better off going through intermediate before going on to advanced. We tried a few advanced exercises in the last class, & definitely I found them difficult. I was struggling to hold the positions without wobbling all over the place. If you're doing the pilates from a book, it might be worth also going to a few classes just to make sure you're doing the exercises correctly.

really busy week.....but who cares....this is just preseason, preseason training.

Anyway 2 days of core (rollers and core standard workouts), 1 hr on rollers saturday, and 2 20min pieces on sunday at tempo.

Hopefully will get more of the same in next week. Still cant run, my achilles injury is just about letting me walk pain free now - let that be a lesson for me.

Anyway, plan for next week is to get a new set of rollers.....the ones ive been using for the last few months have to accompany their owner abroad, so time to flex the card

Suppose i should a add a note about weight here......still at 84kg, 2 months after the etape.....so happy enough with that. will try to keep it here until christmas and then drop to 80 (if possible) nearer the season

• Advertisement

After 3 years of owning a garmin (a forerunner 305) I finally registered onto garmin connect. This is a training spin I did yesterday - my first spin over 50k since the etape last july

http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/80819865

Advertisement