Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

will i lose my place if i accept cao offer?

Options
  • 30-08-2010 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

I was in college last year and thought that the course i was studying wasnt for me and re-applied to the cao for another course (in the same college). I got offered this place in the offers last monday. My question is - if i accept the new offer would i lose my place in the second year of my original choice?
    Thanks in advance for any info :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ayapatrick wrote: »
    I was in college last year and thought that the course i was studying wasnt for me and re-applied to the cao for another course (in the same college). I got offered this place in the offers last monday. My question is - if i accept the new offer would i lose my place in the second year of my original choice?
    Thanks in advance for any info :)
    Have you passed the exams for the original course? If not, you don't go into second year.

Also, is the second course you applied for in the same genre as the first? AS in, if the first was computers, is the second also about computers? The reason I ask is that you can only do a second 1st year in most places if you are going to do a totally seperate field of study, or you'll have to pay ALL of the course fees - it ain't free if you've already done a 1st year in that field of study.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

the_syco wrote: »
    Have you passed the exams for the original course? If not, you don't go into second year.

Also, is the second course you applied for in the same genre as the first? AS in, if the first was computers, is the second also about computers? The reason I ask is that you can only do a second 1st year in most places if you are going to do a totally seperate field of study, or you'll have to pay ALL of the course fees - it ain't free if you've already done a 1st year in that field of study.
    I should have mentioned that i passed all my exams. I was aware that id have to pay the fees - because i had 1st year done and i was goind doing another first year.
    Both are engineering, first was civil, new one is mechanical.
    So my place should be there in the original course if i accept the new one?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

So my place should be there in the original course if i accept the new one?
    Anyone have an answer for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Anyone have an answer for this?
    Question: why do you need an answer? IMO, ring the college, but I'd be pretty sure if you took one full time course, you wouldn't be doing another full time course, and thus the place would be given to someone else, so yes, I'm sure you'd forfeit the 2nd year of the original course if you took the other 1st year.

Advertisement