Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking: "It's what grown-ups do"

• 30-08-2010 12:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭

I think there's a huge portrayal of drinking being the done thing in adult life, which is making it more attractive to kids, who just wanna act like grown-ups

They're always drinking in the soaps, every day, early in the day they're in the pub

and families going to pubs for dinner, so the parents can have a few pints

I just think it's something kids shouldn't be around

Wat u think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭force majeure

Just as a matter off interest for me to point out, both my parents were non drinkers yet me and my two brothers still wound up alkis without any help. One is now dead and the other only half their OOO yes and the two parents are playing drum and bass at the gig in the sky too.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 CatHerder

unreggd wrote: »
    I think there's a huge portrayal of drinking being the done thing in adult life, which is making it more attractive to kids, who just wanna act like grown-ups

They're always drinking in the soaps, every day, early in the day they're in the pub

and families going to pubs for dinner, so the parents can have a few pints

I just think it's something kids shouldn't be around

Wat u think?
    You're right that social drinking plays a big part in everyday life, particularly in Ireland and the UK.
    The thing is that, many people can and do drink socially without developing a problem. I don't think that trying to change our culture or restrict children's exposure to it will have any impact on problems that can develop, any more than the introduction of prohibition in the United States.

To my mind people just need a little education in recognizing the signs of Alcoholism in themselves (not in others)

AA can improve your life, which is contrary to what most drinkers think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

The problem is grown-up fun = alcohol. Fun may not be had without it. The best fun you'll have is with it.

cantdecide wrote: »
    The problem is grown-up fun = alcohol. Fun may not be had without it. The best fun you'll have is with it.
    Grown-up fun to me is sex :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

CatHerder wrote: »
    Grown-up fun to me is sex :p

And a much healthier passtime it is, too :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I read an article recently which kind of relates it this. It said that Ireland's main problem isn't the fact that the teenagers are acting like grown ups. It's that the grown ups are acting like teenagers, thinking that even at 50, they can be falling out of nightclubs, getting absolutly smashed and setting horrible examples. And then, of course teenagers are going to follow that example, since there's little else for them to follow...

I read an article recently which kind of relates it this. It said that Ireland's main problem isn't the fact that the teenagers are acting like grown ups. It's that the grown ups are acting like teenagers, thinking that even at 50, they can be falling out of nightclubs, getting absolutly smashed and setting horrible examples. And then, of course teenagers are going to follow that example, since there's little else for them to follow...
    I was falling out of night clubs at 45, I wasn't trying to set an example though and I doubt anyone seen me as a roll model.
    I don't think young people look to their elders as examples any more than I did in my twenties. In fact I'd say it's the opposite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

cantdecide wrote: »
    You don't really believe that do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭booksale

kids in pubs are the culture and i dont think there is a problem the kids see adults drinking and looking forward to drink when they reach the age.

although i am not from ireland, i like the culture that kids can have dinner in a pub. when i first read it from lonely planet 'warning' us to see kids in pub, i think it's a very unique and special thing.

i remember i had a taste from my dad's beer when i was a little girl. the memory is so good (though the taste was... :eek: for a little girl).

i agree with one of the posters that it's the awareness about alcoholism. education in drinking rationally is urgently needed.

drink yourselves to a level to be stupid and harmful to yourselves and others is just awful.

Advertisement