Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What exchange am I connected to / using?

• 30-08-2010 2:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

How can I find out what exchange I am currently on?

Also.. Eircom, for the second time ever, have randomly dropped me down from 3mb to 2mb..

Last time I was on 3mb from 6mb.

I'm supposed to be 3mb and am paying for it.

I'm going to phone tomorow and they'll tell me the same again - "oh sorry, yeh that shouldnt be like that".

What the **** is that? Poor aul mary hit the wrong button when she was cleaning the keyboard?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Advertkriz

Well first of all where are you located?i need your location to tell you what exchange your on.

And secondly ,the reason you may be on 2mb instead of 3mb is because of your "line attenuation".

Eircom may have automaticly changed you to NGB(Next Gen Broadband) depending on what exchange your at, and if they have then you will be on the "Up to 8mb package".

So eircom can see your line attenuation and adjust your download/upload speed according to what your phone line is capable of based on the attenuation among other factors....

PS:This is what happened to my connection since the migration to NGB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

Bah.

Just got off the phone with tech support - Eircom.

Basically my situation was -
    We were on 3mb for a long time, then the first rollout (months ago) saw people get free upgrades UP TO 6mb or 8mb, whichever it was.
    At first I thought nice one but then as it was applied to us, we had whats called higher interleaving I think. The line couldnt actually get more than 3mb.
    I noticed a significant ping increase in games, so I talked to someone in Eircom and they helped me out. He switched back down to the 3mb package specificly.

All was well and pings were back down for gaming. I was kinda suprised that everything went so well and smoothly with just one phone call.

Now (and for the last month I suspect - I didnt really check) we are down to 2mb. Its extremely noticable when more people start using the internet, for anything.
    I phoned and told them of the situation, that we've somehow been knocked down to 2mb. I was told that right now we're on the next generation broadband and the line can only get 2300 at the moment and its not likely to change. He said he cant put me on the 3mb line like I was before for x years.

He told me I'm on the dbc12 exchange in Drogheda. Pings are fine untill people start doing anything. Nothing has changed in my house though. All was fine and well untill you wake up one morning and 'congratulations you are one of the lucky few to be downgraded in our next generation technology'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

The most annoying thing now is that everything was fine for years.
    *poof* you are now on NEXT GENERATION!! broadband.. and as a result you are now experiencing less than before.

Advertisement