Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schools are back

• 30-08-2010 7:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody think there will be traffic chaos this morning due to the link road to Roxboro being closed?

Hope Dooradoyle road isnt busy as thats how i go home

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Roxboro road was jam-packed this morning, however a truck had broken down rite at the roxboro roundabout, I passed it at 8.50 and again at 10am and it was still there.

Most schools arent back until weds the 1st so there will be traffic chaos from then on guaranteed and I for one am dreading any form of accident in the area as the roads are going to bumper to bumper...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I thought all schools were back today, some are back tomorrow too. Most be all back by wednesday. Should be fun

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭timbertime

Easy know the schools when the council decide to start doing road works! They have the road at the top of Father Russell Rd closed to inbound traffic since friday! Diversion down father Russell and back up by the hospital and the south court! Ridiculous as I don't remember the road surface being too bad! Or even if it did what was wrong with summer for fixing it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Was hectic on the Dublin road this morning all the way up to the parkway from town

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

And half the posters here will whinge about the traffic as they stuff their overweight kids into the mommy tank in the mornings themselves!

Its official, your only allowed give out if you dont add to the problem yourself!

Walked to school ever single day from Old Cork road to the childers road and did me no harm at all, secondary school I took the bus. Sure there are kids that do live unreasonable distances from the school but thats what busses are for.

I still think its utter madness that the entire roads infrastructure gets dramatically changed litterally over night accross the entire country and its STILL not changed because who is gonna whinge about it? Certainly not the mommy wagon drivers brigade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

don't forget that for every school reopening, there are hundreds of more teachers on the roads too, plus all the ancilliary school staff, plus the colleges all reopening and all the other people who get summer holidays and/or term time working hours so don't just blame the mommies driving their little darlings to school. In my experience at least alot of parents do carpool their kids if they have to drive them to school as opposed to the amount of single occupant cars on the roads heading into town every single day. bus is not an option to my kids - good old bus eireann but in bus lanes and then forgot to run the bus !!!!! Full length of Condel Road with lovely bus lane and not a bus to use it - could fairly easily have a park and ride in coonagh, or even a city express bus from there to take kids from Cratloe/Meelick, Caherdavin area into the city schools and a city bus run along Condel Road but that would take thinking and planning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Bedlam today around Clare Street at 3pm. I have never seen so many stupid and ignorant people just abandoning their cars all over the place and then shrugging their shoulders at people who for some reason seem to be put out by it by getting trapped in a perfectly normally driving lane because somebodies ugly fvcking children cannot walk 100mtrs to a safe place to pull over.

...................................................:mad:

There were cars parked on double yellows all the way back up both sides of the road to the bus stop passed Frank Hogans.

A guy was then coming out of Frank Hogans and looking right waiting for a break in traffic. This woman parked on the footpath was using her side mirror to check for a break in traffic as she wanted to reverse into the dealership to turn and head towards the Parkway. If she had used her other mirrors she would have seen him but instead she ploughed straight into the side of his €50,000+ 2010 registered car.

:mad:

God I hate 8:30-9am and 3pm outside that frickin school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

+1 to Hightower. Why in the name of fcuk are all children being driven to schools these days? I'm only 22 so this isn't a rant from an old cranky man talking about "in my day". I lived about 15 miles from my school and got up every morning at 6:30am to get a freezing bus to school and had to hang around the school for an hour every morning before classes began at 9am. All of my friends got a bus. The only people that didn't were those that lived within a few minutes of the school and they WALKED.

What is wrong with parents??? Seriously? It baffles me to the point of rage. I don't like the cop out answer that there are no services provided. I guarantee you that there is a bus service available to every child in this country so they can reach their school. Dooradoyle is a disaster, it appears that every pupil is driven to the door of the school. I hate today's parents. We're talking about mostly thirty somethings. That entire generation is retarded. They need the best of everything which includes driving their ugly fat offspring everywhere, taking two holidays a year, and taking out insane mortgages. No wonder the country is tits up.

I used to carpool with other kids when I was going to school as it wasnt worth getting the bus (being late, bus turning up late, bus crowded etc etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭black & white

Berty wrote: »
    Bedlam today around Clare Street at 3pm. I have never seen so many stupid and ignorant people just abandoning their cars all over the place and then shrugging their shoulders at people who for some reason seem to be put out by it by getting trapped in a perfectly normally driving lane because somebodies ugly fvcking children cannot walk 100mtrs to a safe place to pull over.

...................................................:mad:

There were cars parked on double yellows all the way back up both sides of the road to the bus stop passed Frank Hogans.

A guy was then coming out of Frank Hogans and looking right waiting for a break in traffic. This woman parked on the footpath was using her side mirror to check for a break in traffic as she wanted to reverse into the dealership to turn and head towards the Parkway. If she had used her other mirrors she would have seen him but instead she ploughed straight into the side of his €50,000+ 2010 registered car.

God I hate 8:30-9am and 3pm outside that frickin school.

Any pics ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

BESman wrote: »
    +1 to Hightower. Why in the name of fcuk are all children being driven to schools these days? I'm only 22 so this isn't a rant from an old cranky man talking about "in my day". I lived about 15 miles from my school and got up every morning at 6:30am to get a freezing bus to school and had to hang around the school for an hour every morning before classes began at 9am. All of my friends got a bus. The only people that didn't were those that lived within a few minutes of the school and they WALKED.

What is wrong with parents??? Seriously? It baffles me to the point of rage. I don't like the cop out answer that there are no services provided. I guarantee you that there is a bus service available to every child in this country so they can reach their school. Dooradoyle is a disaster, it appears that every pupil is driven to the door of the school. I hate today's parents. We're talking about mostly thirty somethings. That entire generation is retarded. They need the best of everything which includes driving their ugly fat offspring everywhere, taking two holidays a year, and taking out insane mortgages. No wonder the country is tits up.

Not even close to being true. Whilst there may be bus services, many people from outside the town have to travel a number of miles just to get to the nearest stop. So it is not as simple as just hopping on a busfor many families.

I do agree with the gist of what you are saying though, especially about people who are living in close proximity to the school and still insist on driving, and parking in a manner that is unsafe and blocks roads.

Nothing to do with the current generation of parents though, imho. I would reckon that same generation were dropped to school in a similar manner during the 90's, much like kids were being dropped to school in the 80's, and the cycle is just continuing today now that they are adults.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Nothing to do with the current generation of parents though, imho. I would reckon that same generation were dropped to school in a similar manner during the 90's, much like kids were being dropped to school in the 80's, and the cycle is just continuing today now that they are adults.

and just to show my age . . . we were dropped to school in the 70s.

BESman, How on earth can you realistically say " I guarantee you that there is a bus service available to every child in this country so they can reach their school". Its not even close to being true, never was and never will be. Even where sometimes there are bus services, kids have been left behind at side of the road cos the bus is full when it gets to the stop. You speak an awful of generalisations which don't stand up.

the same people who park haphazardly outside schools are the same people who park outside shops with hazard lights flashing, who just look out for themselves and f**k the rest of the population. Nothing to do with age - just human nature for some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

its a f**king bad joke at this stage.

Just look at this with common sense, schools like cbs have nearly 90% attendance from children based in the city (a friend is a teacher there), if you live in the city there is ZERO need to be driven to school as ever major suberb has more than adiquite bus services.

I dont blame the kids, they are lazy like all kids naturally are ... I blame their parents.

The same people who whinge and moan at prime time and every news paper headline of "carnage on the raods", tut their voices and call those "reckless" drivers stupid then get into their sprogmobiles on the monday morning and perform some of the highest acts of stupidity I see on a daily basis on the roads! ..... but its fine... they are driving their kids to school right?!

As far as I am concerned if your residence is registered as being within reasonable bus service distance you should be made put the kids on the bus but of coarse these special breed of idiots would then insist on driving precious to the bus stop then. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

and just to show my age . . . we were dropped to school in the 70s.

BESman, How on earth can you realistically say " I guarantee you that there is a bus service available to every child in this country so they can reach their school". Its not even close to being true, never was and never will be. Even where sometimes there are bus services, kids have been left behind at side of the road cos the bus is full when it gets to the stop. You speak an awful of generalisations which don't stand up.

the same people who park haphazardly outside schools are the same people who park outside shops with hazard lights flashing, who just look out for themselves and f**k the rest of the population. Nothing to do with age - just human nature for some people.

Every one lives within a few miles of a bus stop. Drive the kids there and let the bus do the rest. Of course there are some exceptions but I do think there is a bus service for the vast majority of school children. Parents choose not to use it because the bus won't stop in the driveway of their home, then the precious kids might get wet if they have to walk to a bus stop down the road.

Every one lives within a few miles of a bus stop. Drive the kids there and let the bus do the rest. Of course there are some exceptions but I do think there is a bus service for the vast majority of school children. Parents choose not to use it because the bus won't stop in the driveway of their home, then the precious kids might get wet if they have to walk to a bus stop down the road.

Everyone does not live within a few miles of a bus stop, or within a few miles of the bus route used by the school bus.

Take a little village like Fedamore or Patrickswell, and then say the kid is going to school in St Munchin's or Pallaskenry secondary school, are you saying there are buses that a kid could get on in those villages, or many other villages like those, that will take them right to their schools?

I know for a fact that the school bus between Limerick and Pallaskenry secondary, does not cater for any children coming from Patrickswell, Croom, Crecora etc. The nearest stop for those kids is in Clarina, and the same applies when they are coming home in the evenings.

Kids coming into city schools from places like Fedamore have it even worse as there are very few buses period going that way each day, let alone regular buses every hour or so. So how do you propose those parents get their kids to school without a car?

Granted their are plenty of people who park their cars in a stupid manner near schools with dropping off and picking up their kids, and there are many whose kids should walk as they are near enough to the school, but there are a hell of a lot of parents who just do not have a choice in the matter due to there being no bus service near them that goes the same way as the kids need to go for school.

Back on topic however - noticed yesterday morning, traffic coming off at the dooradoyle exit was in a serious tailback. It did seem that most people were heading down through rosbrien though - that cant be good for that road

Mc Love wrote: »
    Back on topic however - noticed yesterday morning, traffic coming off at the dooradoyle exit was in a serious tailback. It did seem that most people were heading down through rosbrien though - that cant be good for that road

I tried to exit at Dooradoyle coming from the Dublin side and got up to the top of the slip road, gave up and headed back down into Raheen and down towards the hospital. That was Monday morning around 8:30am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Of course there are some exceptions but I do think there is a bus service for the vast majority of school children.

Interesting climbdown from the earlier statement.
    I guarantee you that there is a bus service available to every child in this country so they can reach their school

My sisters had to campaign and chase after ministers for months when the then Minister for Education pulled their schoolbus; the campaign involved a phenomenal amount of pressure and demonstrations and practically harassing the idiots in Dáil Eireann.

I contributed by designing posters and t-shirts, but they spent hours on the campaign and had to battle every step of the way.

They eventually got it back, but if FF had had their way, they wouldn't have any.

And I doubt that they are unique.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Why arent kids going to their nearest school?

bigpink wrote: »

(1) Snobbish parents
    (2) Over subscribed schools

I know many many parents here in Newport who drive into Limerick City for their kids to go to school. Newport has schools by the way. 3 of them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Really?Thats crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's called right of entry. Certain primary schools will have automatic entry to certain secondary schools so parents who want their children to go to a specific secondary school will send them to the primary school that has right of entry to that secondary school.

For some families in the county, going to the nearest school can mean a fair bit of a journey as there is not always a school in the local vicinity, and getting a bus is not an option for many as lots of the smaller villages dotted around the county do not have bus services at school times.

1. local schools single sex or both sex and this not suiting individual child.
    2. parents wanting child to go to school they went to
    3. local school being a faith school predominantly
    4. local school maybe not offering subject choice parents/child want
    5. local school maybe not a gaelscoil/colaiste
    6. alternative school may be handier for working parents/creches
    7. some schools are better with special needs than others

many reasons - hundreds of answers. take your pick !!

Advertisement