Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Really Stupid Question...... (Tuner Cards for Laptop)

• 30-08-2010 9:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi all,

I've a really stupid question that I'm hoping some of you have answer...

Basically I want to be able to watch TV on my laptop. In order to do this I understand that I need to install a tuner card into the laptop.

My question is in relation to once I have the card installed.... Presumably I still be to hook the laptop up to a satellite, right? Am I correct in saying that the card only provides to the laptop with the ability to decode the signal I still need to provide the source?

Apologies for the stupidity!

Regards,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I had one for my laptop.. The only reasonable option you have is to buy a USB TV Tuner, like the Hauppauge ones listed here on their website. Hauppauge USB TV Tuners

If you buy an analog card you will need to connect in to an aerial. if you buy the DVB type you will need to plug in to satellite dish or Sky box... But as you say, you will need a "source", although most TV tuning devices come with some sort of aerial (usually not adequate)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 fitness2010

Ok so the Hauppauge USB TV tuners is basically the "source" I'd need for a TV card? Is the Elgato EyeTV Hybrid something similiar to the Hauppauge?

Here's another question:

I currently have a sky multiroom (2 sky boxes) would it be possible for me to hook one of the Sky boxes up to a laptop and then stream the live content to other TV's in the house? I'm not talking about card sharing or anything illegal... What I mean is basically do the same as angel eyes but without the wires.

I know you can get video senders but there sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

You WILL need a source, I said above that it comes with an aerial that is usually NOT adequate..

I do not have a digital tuner, I just plug a coax cable from roof aerial in to my analog tuner and I can get the four terrestrial channels.. which is all I require...
    You will need a digital source, whether satellite/skybox/etc but you will need somebody else to tell you what to do about this, as I am not familiar with it.

Advertisement