Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Yankee Dog He Steal Our Weather

Options
  • 30-08-2010 9:54am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

It struck me that if this idea below is feasible and if it scales then North West Europe is at risk of climate change. US Scientists want to chuck aload of turbines into the gulf stream off Florida.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-10914462
    The underwater stream roughly contains around 21,000 times more energy than the Niagara Falls and by some estimates, could potentially provide up to one-third of the US's electricity needs.

and
    "The best wind resources are in sparsely populated areas, which results in transmission challenges," he explained.

"Water turbines placed in streams, rivers and ocean currents provide a relatively constant source of power with fewer intermittence problems.

And if some green gob****e suddenly thinks that this would be a good idea on/off the irish continental shelf I am pretty sure that the Norwegians and Northern Russians may quite rightly have other ideas.

If ever there were a case for a transnational EIS it would be for this class of project and luckily :D Russia has a navy :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

This could be far fetched mind.

but say they lash 1000 units in the stream, that will slow the stream down.
    yes it may be a small amount of power gone from the stream.

but what effects could that happin to it.

Just think the world went green to save the planet, but in the end slowed down one of the imported streams in the world

stranger things have happined

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

Not possible.

I think we are dealing with forces too big for disruption by a few thousand turbines.

Fish shredding may be a possibility, but killing the gulf stream or disrupting it???

Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Not possible.

I think we are dealing with forces too big for disruption by a few thousand turbines.

Fish shredding may be a possibility, but killing the gulf stream or disrupting it???

Nope.

I agree. We humans are a strange lot to think that we're somehow on a par with nature when it comes to having the power to change the world. To think that something like a few thousand turbines 1200m below the sea surface is going to change an enormous current such as the Gulf Stream is laughable, the same way that adding a few ppm CO2 to the atmosphere is somehow much more potent than the millions of years' worth of naturally occurring warm and cold climatic cycles.

We really are a pompous lot. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,516 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Being a bit closer to the scene of the crime, I will do what I can.

(which is nothing) :cool:

Advertisement