Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apprentice IRL 2010 **Week 1**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Sizzler wrote: »

More blatant product placement as well, does the BAI even watch this show:confused::rolleyes:

Did they have a disclaimer at the start? Was watching the Late Late Show last week and they had some sort of disclaimer about product placement at the start, wondered what that was all about.

Bill "You had a very attractive gift card to move" :D

This season is shaping up to being epic for lulz !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

calex71 wrote: »
    Did they have a disclaimer at the start? Was watching the Late Late Show last week and they had some sort of disclaimer about product placement at the start, wondered what that was all about.

Bill "You had a very attractive gift card to move" :D

This season is shaping up to being epic for lulz !!!!!
    There was no disclaimer at all. I suspect they kept the product placement to just below the €5000 limit. Below €5000 you don't need the disclaimer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Haddockman wrote: »
    There was no disclaimer at all. I suspect they kept the product placement to just below the €5000 limit. Below €5000 you don't need the disclaimer.

Ah I see, thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭j1974

"good afternoon sir and welcome to easons of O'Connell street."

Eh Yeah, Im looking for a book written by famous business tycoon and all round entrapneurial straight shooter, Bill Cullen. It's called "it's a long way from penny apples". do you have it? cos I cant see it anywhere in the biography section, I expect it should take pride o place next to Donald trumps book and de likes!!

" ah yes, ah very popular choice indeed, but I'm afraid you'll find it in it's respective section, FICTION!!! or try the FANTASY section!!!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

Jaysus, the whole thing was a bag o' s**t!
    TV3 are milking it to death with the "At Home" show as well.

The "business brains of Ireland" are all feckin' eejits - that Niamh one (red jacket) can't even use a phone, the "good looking" one is botoxed and veneered within an inch of her life, that Tara is going to end up being slapped (by me, if nobody else does it), Jackie is pouting to beat the band and Bill is his usual condescending, hair-dyed, self-contradicting (he drives a Bentley and own Renault!!) , bullying self.

But ya gotta love it!!! :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 LisaM2009

Ah you gotta love it, already has the whole office talking here! Almost embarrassing the way they put these forward as the 'brains of Ireland'! Glad to see thats the concensus on here though and some common sense prevails!

My boyfriend worked in same place as that English girl in a phone company in town a while back. Said she was a total airhead and a wannabe model with about ten years but was getting nowhere. I'd say this is just her looking for 15 minutes of fame on back of that, really sad!

Apparently she was in same sales role for about 6 years so she cannot be that good or she would have been promoted. All kinds of other things to her background and she was supposed to have been a b**ch of the higest order when she got going which I'm sure will come out. I hope she does not last long.

I hate the fact that the Irish one is basically big brother wannabies most of the time as opposed to anyone worth their salt in business. Although I guess that is why we watch it lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

Duckjob wrote: »
    If that lot really are the best Ireland has to offer we are truly f**ked.

they were the best out of the 2000 losers that applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Babalons

muletide wrote: »
    Shock horror, commercial tv station makes the most of a hugely successful TV Show to sell advertisements! Maybe you should be on it. With your business sense ( or lack of) you would fit right in.

I think TV3 have made a superb job of this over the past three years

TV3 sucks! From sensational garbage like ‘banged up abroad’ or ‘lawless Ireland’ to this dribble. Its Irelands answer to tabloid TV.
    Also its no big achievement that the show is well put together. They have just taken an already tried and tested formula and rehashed it; add in an ass with a loud mouth, a few of ‘Irelands Brightest’.
    Makes for a good laugh, but not much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Said this the second I saw Kate-hall (Cahal for those of you who didn't watch "You're Fired" afterwards) - he's the image of all-round loike total ledge the Rossmeister General:

sk_ross.gif

The hair, the nose, the forehead, the ears.........

RossOCarollKelly_161503t.jpg

Obviously NOT the money........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

LisaM2009 wrote: »
    My boyfriend worked in same place as that English girl in a phone company in town a while back. Said she was a total airhead and a wannabe model with about ten years but was getting nowhere. I'd say this is just her looking for 15 minutes of fame on back of that, really sad!
    Apparently she was in same sales role for about 6 years so she cannot be that good or she would have been promoted. All kinds of other things to her background and she was supposed to have been a b**ch of the higest order when she got going which I'm sure will come out. I hope she does not last long.

seems like the auld boyfriend was leering at her a bit to long at the christmas party for your liking :D

• Advertisement

Ah you gotta love it, already has the whole office talking here! Almost embarrassing the way they put these forward as the 'brains of Ireland'! Glad to see thats the concensus on here though and some common sense prevails!

I hate the fact that the Irish one is basically big brother wannabies most of the time as opposed to anyone worth their salt in business. Although I guess that is why we watch it lol!

wow!! a whole two paragraphs of a girl talking trash about an attractive girl based on??? dont know who sounds like a bigger bitch, your "boyfriend" or you. "all kinds of other things to her backround" obsessed with her much??? so are you saying your boyfriend didn't shag her??? hhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmm interesting!!!:D

Auvers wrote: »
    seems like the auld boyfriend was leering at her a bit to long at the christmas party for your liking :D

oh yeah , high 5!!! he shoots he scores!!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Babalons

Auvers wrote: »

Ha, the poor boyfriend will be getting some stern questions about last years Christmas party.... 'So were did you say you got those photocopies of that bare arse?'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

The "guidelines" on this are fairly ambiguous though, the ruling is a cumaltive value of €5k, how the fook do they enforce that, looks like they dont even bother. BAI are like most govt watchdogs, they have the signs on the gate to say "Beware of the dog" but the dog doesnt bark :rolleyes:

Would love to ask one of the muppets on the show exactly WHY they bothered applying :confused: But when you see them you sort of understand why they applied, all lack the basic faculties that any sensible employer would expect. The irony being these people will actually harm their future job prospects not enhance them :o

For the last poster, I have linked the vid fyp :)

Very accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

I thought anton was alright as a presenter, the whole hands and head gestures was just taking the piss out of that fella in boardroom who was going mad all by himself, and trying to get everyone else to calm down-feckin hilarious watching him jump around in the seat and then making out to others it was too early to celebrate.

Anton was maybe bit better than that previous moron who couldnt realise when he was on a winner.

Just as an aside i caught a 10second glimpse of that tripe on two of two young fellas doing well for themselves and Brendan was doing the voice over-its more suited to the childrens tv i thought....onwards and upwards eh, BOC??....

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

j1974 wrote: »
    wow!! a whole two paragraphs of a girl talking trash about an attractive girl based on??? dont know who sounds like a bigger bitch, your "boyfriend" or you. "all kinds of other things to her backround" obsessed with her much??? so are you saying your boyfriend didn't shag her??? hhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmm interesting!!!:D

Yeah and surprsie surprise, a guy defending a girl he doesn't know because she's "good looking" !! :rolleyes:

Did anyone catch that quote from geraldine?
    I thought it was a bit mad for her to be talking about blowing someone away when was it not just last year that while the apprentice was being aired she attended a funeral of some guy fairly close to her family unit that was killed in quite violent circumstances?? as i recall it was some gang related killing but i stand to be corrected.

Apart from that I thought she was great last night. Did someone say she was on the sauce? it might help explain the shotgun comment...

ah sizzler-classic!! 2.5minutes well spent. I thank you:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 LisaM2009

Those comments to my post were a bit unfair. I was only sharing some stuff I happened to know about a contestant and giving an opinion based on what I have seen and heard. I wouldn't have said them if I didnt know them to be fact and have heard more than one persons opinion from that particular workplace on the girl. I actually know a lot more serious stuff about the girl that I could have said and did not bother so I think that says enough about my own intentions. Other people earlier in the thread had given plenty of opinions also and at the end of the day thats what boards is here to do.

I don't think its fair to suggest bad things about someones relationship like that based on one post that someone leaves.

Can we get back to discussing the show and the contestants and leave insults to posters out of it.

At the end of the day we will all make our own opinions of the contestants and I can't help that I have some pre-defined opinions on a particular contestant.

To be fair you could have said comments like wannabies etc about most of the contestants on there and most people on here are making plenty of judgements like that with no previous basis for those comments whatsoever. At least I have actual reasons for mine.

Enjoy the show everyone, am going to leave my posting here as did not intend to distract from the topic and hope everyone enjoys the discussion from here on in.

It is the same typical mix of "moorketing" heads as per usual with the made up job titles. Yawn!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

Ah Jaysus, Chimichangas - I hope that information (if true) is already out there cos that's the kind of thing that will get boards.ie sued!

I thought yer man Cahal came across a lot better on You're Fired than he did in the main programme - I'm sure that everything is edited to make some people look like spanners - sure isn't that why we keep watching?

I'm a fan of Anton when he fills in for Ray D'arcy - he's funny and natural on the radio. I would definitely prefer a few hand and head gestures to Brendan O'Connor's amazingly and permanently furrowed brow - what is it in the distance you're squinting at, Brendan?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I know the same is true of another. Failed a PLC course and is now on there as one of 'Ireland's brightest'. Funny thing is he failed that course because he spent all day swanning around a university trying to make people think he went there. :rolleyes:
    If you read the thread you'll see the general gist of what people's opinions are. Generally that they're all losers in this game of life. But they're fun to watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Fckin TV3. Just started watching online and a banner came across with each contestant and 'Fired' in red on one of them. Spoiled it.

I think they made the same mistake last year.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Youtube is your friend there!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Bill Cullen would look to be about as qualified as some of his muppet contestants, how TV3 can hold this guy up as some sort of business mogul is hilarious :rolleyes:

His hotel couldnt even make money during the celtic tiger years and his garages are being propped up by the scrappage scheme and hes being touted as a successfull businessman?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article7069862.ece
    wrote:
    He has become famous for dispensing homespun pearls of wisdom to wide-eyed apprentices, but Bill Cullen, the television presenter and businessman, could do with taking some of his own advice. The car-dealer’s Co Kerry hotel, Muckross Park, lost more than €2m in 2008, bringing its total debts to €11.5m, newly filed company accounts show.

Cullen co-owns the five-star retreat, which has been making losses for a number of years, with Jackie Lavin, his girlfriend. He was owed €7.9m at the end of 2008 by a business.

In the accounts, the couple claim that steps undertaken last year will result in a “much improved performance” this year, including more innovative marketing and cost cuts. They will also “provide whatever financial assistance the company may require for the foreseeable future”.

Cullen said this weekend that 2008 was “was the worst year the hotel had”, but that business picked up last year. “It was a difficult year. Despite pressure on the hotel sector, we sold more bed nights than we did in 2008, so we feel we’ve turned the corner,” he said.

Many of the losses in 2008 were “non-cash”, he said, and the first quarter of this year had been better than the same three months in 2009. “We are also launching a development of apartments at the hotel next month,” said Cullen.

His business acumen has come under more scrutiny since he became the host of The Apprentice, with commentators quick to pick up on shortcomings. Cullen, 68, has been trying to turn around Muckross’s fortunes for several years.

Brenda Shanahan, the first winner of The Apprentice and a former bridal-shop owner, was given responsibility for marketing the Kerry retreat.

The Apprentice has become TV3’s most popular programme, attracting an audience of more than 2.3m during its 13-part run in 2009. Cullen has won over critics with his trademark Dublin witticisms.

Cullen and Lavin bought the 18th-century Muckross Park hotel in 1990. They have added 68 rooms, a conference centre, a “Gothic-inspired” spa and Molly Darcy’s Irish pub, named after Cullen’s grandmother. Last year, Lavin also launched a range of cosmetics that can be bought only at the hotel.

Cullen, who is worth €62m according to The Sunday Times Rich List 2009, lost the exclusive rights to distribute Renault in Ireland two years ago. The businessman still owns six dealerships, three of them in Dublin.

He credits the scrappage scheme, introduced by the government in the last budget, with improving business in recent months.

Despite the boost to the car business, Cullen has been tightening his belt. It was reported last year that he had “mothballed” his helicopter .

He recently told a panel of young people on RTE’s Frontline programme that they should “work for nothing” to get experience instead of “whinging and moaning”.

The wit and wisdom of Bill Cullen:

On youth unemployment: “I worked for nothing many times to get a job; isn’t it better than nothing? Better than sitting in bed all day. In the 40s and 50s we didn’t have the dole, we were in our bare feet and we went out and worked.”

On hard work: “When you do a lot more than you’re paid to do, eventually you’ll be paid a lot more for what you do.”

On his five-hour-a-night sleeping habit: “Sleeping is the nearest thing to dying you’ll ever do, so don’t do too much of it.”

On learning from mentors: “You’ve got two ears and one mouth for a very good reason.”

On becoming a millionaire: “The first million is the hardest but success is no secret, it’s about out-working the other guy.”

On confidence: “I look at myself in the mirror at 5am every morning and say 20 times: ‘I am terrific’.”

On what a man needs in life, as told by his mother: “All you need is a roof over your head. Clothes on yar back. Kossicks on yar feet. Good food every day.”

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Ah, I was looking forward to this coming back on our screens and while it will be good entertainment, its fairly obvious there are a few major flaws with it.

1. Bill Cullen. The guy is a "bluffer". I've had enough of him telling us all what to do. Get out ont he streets, knock on doors, I worked hard etc, bad background. He got very very lucky, timing was good for him. At the end of the day he sells cars and rooms. He's not really an "Entrapeneur" (A word I am sick of hearing him see). How the show can pretend to offer the winner a geniune change at being an "entrapeneur" is beyond me. You end up working in the car dealership or the hotel, granted on bags of money for the first year but thats it.
    2. The people who take part in this do actually have to give up a lot to take part in it, quitting their jobs, if the had any, leaving their family for a while etc. I find that this immediately eliminates the best people we have in the country. The best people probably have better jobs than working in a car showroom/hotel and get paid a darn sight better as well. Why would they give it all up, the end up in a reality show where you are the mercy of the editors and a very small window to impress.
    3. The tasks are pretty stupid - insanely so. Not so much last nights one (although there were massive holes in it) but over the season there will be some pretty stupid tasks, designed purely to give advertising to the companies involved in the tasks.
    4. Because of points 1,2 and 3 you'll find that it is a completely un natural environment, with people who are not best suited to what they are meant to be suited to. I mean last night, no one wanted to be team leader cos the team leader almost always bites the bullet on the first night (logicilly so as the panel havent really had any exposure to anyone else). Also, you'll find there are people who just pale into the background (be it by intentional editing or otherwise) - these people will be safe for a while.

Ultimately, its classic entertainment with some absurdly bad decisions taken by contestants all the time, but its a show for contestants who dont really have much to lose.
    Personally, Id love to know what money and what the people who won the past few years are at.
    You cant be an "entrupeneur" working for someone else, no matter what the salary, and thats whats strangest about this show.

Needless to say, I'll be watching till then end on here complaining!

They don't quit their jobs, they simply take an unpaid leave of absence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Sure about that??

If i was an employer and one of my employees comes up to me and says "i was to take a leave of absence, could be 2 weeks, could be 2 months..., oh, and i mightn't come back" my response would be either stay or go... no leave of absence mister/missy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

They don't quit their jobs, they simply take an unpaid leave of absence.

Leave of absense?

Jaysus, that wouldnt float too well with Bill, I would think.
    I was honestly under the impression that they HAD to quit their jobs. Anyone who didnt would be starting from a very bad position in Bills eyes.
    They may have an "understanding" with their employer that there MAY be a job there if things dont work out but technically I beleive they would have quit their job.
    Think about it for a minute from Bills point of view.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Copperheadco

pwd wrote: »
    does anybody have a link to a list of the contestants?
    tv3 has them all on their website

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement