Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Surely this is illegal...

• 30-08-2010 10:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Hey,

There is a lane way beside where I work in the D2 area and there are about 15 legit free parking spaces there. Now half way down it is the back entrance to some company's building. One day I did end up parking partially in front of this entrance, about 1/3 of the exit was covered, and someone from the company wrote 'do not park here' in marker across my windscreen. I didn't really care as one wipe of the wipers and water and it was gone, and I thought fair enough, it's their building - and I never parked there again.

BUT Friday when I was leaving some other guy had obviously had the same idea as me and parked outside the entrance, but this time, the ****ers in the warehouse trashed the poor lads car (I didn't personally see them do it, but it was obviously them). See pics.....

Car.jpg

NoPark.jpg

<Modnote: Garda details snipped>

I couldn't believe this. They had poured some sort of oil all over the car body and then covered it in wood chippings. I had a closer look too, prob can't see from pics, but there were pebbles and chunks of wood too, which I'm sure would have caused damage to the paint work when it was fecked over it. I saw some Garda had left a card on the car window too (wait - just dawned on me, this wouldn't be something the Gardai would do - would it?)

Anyhow, is this **** illegal and do you think the company was right or wrong to do it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Thats criminal damage. Those who did it are no better than the scum who steal cars and burn them out.
    If they have a problem with the parking space, they do it legally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Were they right?!? Of course not! Absolute cúnts!!! Seems pretty obvious that it was the warehouse lads (the no parking scrawled on the bonnet). I reckon the garda saw the car in a heap and left his card to contact him to report it. Hopefully they can prove it was them. Bástards!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

First of all, he shouldn't have parked his car there where it clearly states "No Parking" in yellow on the gate/door.

With that said, they should not have done this to the chap's car. As was said already, it's criminal damage and should be dealt with as such. There was no need for them to waste their time doing all this to the car.

I also think (and hope) the Garda left his card on the car for this damage to be reported, and not because the lads in the warehouse complained about his parking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

I actually have very little sympathy for the owner of the car. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The garda came across this and left a card, I don't find it unusual.
    The garda wants the owner to contact them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

Were they right?!? Of course not! Absolute cúnts!!! Seems pretty obvious that it was the warehouse lads (the no parking scrawled on the bonnet). I reckon the garda saw the car in a heap and left his card to contact him to report it. Hopefully they can prove it was them. Bástards!!!!

Just realised I never actually gave my opinion on it :P I too think that it is a disgrace - but I wanted to see what other people thought. I couldn't believe what I saw tbh, and to think that this is coming from employees of a 'professional company'. Can you imagine if say, one of the lads from an Accenture went out and did this to a car parked on double yellow lines outside their building - there would be killings...

I'm kind of raging I didn't take a picture of the time they wrote on my windscreen now - but that was fisher price vandalism compared to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Because he parked illegally, probably didn't know (the no parknig sign isn't exactly in your face), he deserves to have his car absolutely destroyed?!?:rolleyes:

Go troll somewhere ele!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I would imagine the Garda left the card there because he caught whoever did it in the act - then again who knows, sure give Pearse street a call and ask for him he might let you know :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Something similar happened to me, I was parked around the corner from the street where I lived, which was free public parking.

A guy come over one day and said "You can't park here, these spaces are for this street only"

I said that the police had told me that it was perfectly fine to park on any street around the corner (which they did, got a ticket one day for a dodgy parking job while unloading coming back from ikea :) )

Then he said "Look you English flicker, you can't park here, we dont like your kind in our neighbourhood, maybe you should move somewhere else".

The guy was in his 60's, I was shocked, said "I wasn't even English" he said "well f*cking polish then whatever, then walked off chanting "f*ck off buitenlander* repeatedly, which I know now means foreigner.

A few days later I parked at the end of the same street, came out next day and someone had dumped motor oil all over the windscreen, wonder who that was :/

Happens everywhere though, one of my scumbag neighbours in cork took a screwdriver down both sides of my car in a similar issue, although that was a problem with shared parking in the complex.

Theres assholes everywhere, its so ANNOYING that someone can do that to your car so easily and get away with it !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Was it you??

While the driver did park blocking the entrance to the company, there is no way what they did is legal. If they have a problem with people blocking their entrance either call the Gardaí and say they are expecting a delivery and need the car towed or get a couple of trolley jacks and move it somewhere else.

OP are there any CCTV cameras around that could show the damage being done to the car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭uRbaN

Imagine this was your car and you had left it there for say 30 minutes, and then on your way back you catch the guys in the act. Have to say I would gone ballistic.

These guys not afriad of reprisals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

First of all, he shouldn't have parked his car there where it clearly states "No Parking" in yellow on the gate/door.

I'm open to correction, but I thought that writing "NO PARKING" on your gate was useless. It had to be an official "No Parking" sign or double yellow lines.

I know that there is common curtesy not to park in front of an entrance in use, but with a door in that state, is the entrance in use.

If (and a big if) the damage was done by somebody on behalf of/working in the warehouse, they have done some dis-service as If it were my car in that state, I'd leave it there!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

This is all a bit silly.

There's no evidence any damage was actually done, nor who subjected the badly parked car to the oil etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Whoever did that to the car needs to be prosecuted. However, if your business premises is blocked by an ignorant motorist in this manner, what recourse do you actually have? The force of law, as usual, is supportive of the offender.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

It's daft to trash someone else's property that is literally on your own doorstep. They don't know who the car could belong to... it could be an unhinged gun toting lunatic petrol bombing rapist, a gang lor, a 'Ra man, a garda, a barrister (unlikely, but you never know).

Feckin eejits.

if I owned a property that people were always blocking and i desperately needed to get in and out I would just keep the means to move their vehicle on site... a simple winch would do the trick..

Or else clamp their car with my own clamp and refuse to remove it until they coughed up.

I was blocked in in a car park before and I waited an hour for the cops to show up and track down the owner of the car (who was a local scumbag and well known for not giving a fk about anything)... luckily I didn;t say/do anything cause I'd have half the scum and their horses in the south east after me then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

Del2005 wrote: »
    Was it you??

While the driver did park blocking the entrance to the company, there is no way what they did is legal. If they have a problem with people blocking their entrance either call the Gardaí and say they are expecting a delivery and need the car towed or get a couple of trolley jacks and move it somewhere else.

OP are there any CCTV cameras around that could show the damage being done to the car?

I don't think there is no - this is actually the back entrance to this building - although there is the entrance the the underground carpark of a bank right across from this. Maybe that caught something. When I parked there this morn, the car was gone and so was the wood chippings/sawdust.

fabbydabby wrote: »
    if I owned a property that people were always blocking and i desperately needed to get in and out I would just keep the means to move their vehicle on site... a simple winch would do the trick..

Or else clamp their car with my own clamp and refuse to remove it until they coughed up.

The problem is both of these solutions also are illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

This is all a bit silly.

There's no evidence any damage was actually done, nor who subjected the badly parked car to the oil etc.
    You think a little detail like that will stop people from jumping to the nearest conclusion? Dream on.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Although that's too much I can understand the guys in the shop being blocked in again and again and again by inconsiderate w-nkers.

Mind the print on the door isn't very clear (if you're halfway blind) so they should make that bigger too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

+1

If this was outside my driveway blocking my access I would have done the same

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    You think a little detail like that will stop people from jumping to the nearest conclusion? Dream on.;)

Print size notwithstanding, there should be no need to put NO PARKING on an entrance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

the trouble with taking action like that against someone (who could well be a serial nuisance parker for all we know) is that it escalates. If the car owner has the same disregard fro the law as the warehouse owners, they could come to work one morning and find who knows what? a dumped car? a vandalised factory? a burnt out car perhaps.JAW JAW not WAR WAR as someone much cleverer than I once said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Consider how much money that company is losing due to not having access to the rear entrance. What if it was a delivery or services company.
    I'd be majorly pissed off if i couldn't go to work and earn my wages cause of some fúckwank parking illegally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Is that out the back of IIB / KBC?

Think there are CCTV camera's covering the car park exit if it is. The missus parked my old Octavia there one day without removing the radio. No surprise, the driver's window and radio were gone later in the day. Unfortunatley it was just out of reach of the camera, but it was further up the road from where that looks like it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

With that said, they should not have done this to the chap's car. As was said already,.

Case came before the courts on similar grounds a few months back, judge took the view that the car had been damaged by a fork lift loading and unloading and the damage would not have been caused if the vehicle had been parked correctly.

It comes under the same duty of car when a builder puts up his own parking cones and tapes off an area where he is building and someone parks right by the cones and has his care damaged by spray and falling debris.

This does look like deliberate damage to me, but the courts may take a similar view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Because he parked illegally, probably didn't know (the no parknig sign isn't exactly in your face), he deserves to have his car absolutely destroyed?!?:rolleyes:

Go troll somewhere ele!

Putting the damage aside for a minute, if you are not aware that you are parking across a gate (doesnt matter whether the owner has written no parking on it or not) then you are sorely lacking in driving ability and awareness. Either that or the guy os a ignorant ****er who doesnt give a **** about blocking peoples property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 hamchops

typical foreinger in a cheap audi, note to self? learn how to read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭madarekrap

It was pretty rude of the driver to park there in the first place, but in fairness who here can honestly say that they have not parked somewhere they are not supposed to at some point? And whoever did this to someone else's property should be held accountable for their actions, even though the cost of repairing the car would probably be more that the car is worth at this stage I'm afraid:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

hamchops wrote: »
    Please don't post rubbish.

• Advertisement

hamchops wrote: »
    I would suggest you learn to spell before insulting others

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i think he was going for "forefinger"...likely to get several from the Mods i think:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Not in any way condoning the over-reaction, but I work down a similar laneway in D2, and at least once every day someone 'partially' blocks our yard gate, despite it being double yellow lines. It's all very well saying 'call the authorities', but when you're late for a job, a meeting or to collect the kids it's bugger-all use. It can be very aggravating.

Tordelback wrote: »
    Not in any way condoning the over-reaction, but I work down a similar laneway in D2, and at least once every day someone 'partially' blocks our yard gate, despite it being double yellow lines. It's all very well saying 'call the authorities', but when you're late for a job, a meeting or to collect the kids it's bugger-all use. It can be very aggravating.
    Call who though?

I dont agree with clamping (whats the point, they will clamp the car blocking my access for longer),

If you call AGS you will be told that its a civil matter 99% of the time.

Sometimes attack is the best form of defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

This was either a very stupid or very clever act, depending on who actually owns the car. Am I fooling myself into believing maybe one of the staff or business owners have parked the car there themselves and deliberately left it on display? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭mecanoman

Was the Audi done down a side lane near Sir John Rogerson Quay.

Know the neighbourhood, parking is tight, didn't know people were getting

so nasty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Jesus there is a really f**king simple way to prevent this.

Why don't the business owners invest in some chains and movable bollards and paint them bright red and white with No Parking signs hanging off them? They can create a 'cordon' at will, or when they leave etc., and nobody will park there.

Makes it really obvious to anyone driving there that you can't park there, and removes the stress that the business owners face of finding people parked there.

FFS, there was no need for them to let it get as far as the pictures in the OP. Ludicrous.

spockety wrote: »

Why don't the business owners invest in some chains and movable bollards and paint them bright red and white with No Parking signs hanging off them? They can create a 'cordon' at will, or when they leave etc., and nobody will park there.

Makes it really obvious to anyone driving there that you can't park there, and removes the stress that the business owners face of finding people parked there.

FFS, there was no need for them to let it get as far as the pictures in the OP. Ludicrous.

There's an even simpler way - park with some consideration for other.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

There's an even simpler way - park with some consideration for other.

Meanwhile, back in the real world...

Looking at the pictures in the original post, there is NOTHING there except some dodgy stencilled yellow paint on a metal garage door to say no parking.

No markings on the ground, no official looking sign post. Hell, is there even a light shining onto the dodgy yellow stencil writing on the garage door to illuminate it at night?

A bit of professionalism wouldn't go amiss, as with a lot of things in this ****-hole country.

My suggestion solves all of the problems, but if you have an even better suggestion I would dearly love to hear it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Call who though? I dont agree with clamping (whats the point, they will clamp the car blocking my access for longer),

If it's Dublin city centre, it's covered by DSPS who can tow the car away. Technically DSPS cover all of Dublin city but they rarely venture into the suburbs.
    If you call AGS you will be told that its a civil matter 99% of the time.

Parking in an illegal manner on a public road is not a civil manner - it's a criminal offence under the road traffic acts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Bailey05

I agree, the door had 'do not park' all over it. Begs the question, why did you park there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

All wrongs, no rights...

see below

Meanwhile, back in the real world...

Looking at the pictures in the original post, there is NOTHING there except some dodgy stencilled yellow paint on a metal garage door to say no parking.

No markings on the ground, no official looking sign post. Hell, is there even a light shining onto the dodgy yellow stencil writing on the garage door to illuminate it at night?

A bit of professionalism wouldn't go amiss, as with a lot of things in this ****-hole country.

My suggestion solves all of the problems, but if you have an even better suggestion I would dearly love to hear it?

No entrance should ever be blocked, you don't need to put no parking signs up. Only a complete and utter f**ktard blocks an entrance when parking.

In no way do I agree with what was done to the car but the advise for the owners of the entrance in the post I quoted I consider looney.
    Better suggestion - don't block entrances when parking.

They even went to the trouble of wrapping the wipers in bin liner, and the bonnet seems popped open, I wonder did they pr1ck about under the bonnet too. They have some neck, I know some chaps that if they found their car in that state they would be on the warpath big time.

The lanway looks to be on to a public road. I dont know what procedures and red tape would have to be followed to allow a private company erect bollards and chains on a public road but I'd say it's more complicated than just going out and sticking them up yourself. Plus the associated costs to the company that they shouldnt have to bear.

Have you a similar chain and bollard system on the road outside your house to prevent parking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Stekelly wrote: »

Have you a similar chain and bollard system on the road outside your house to prevent parking?

There's no law against parking on the public road outside a persons house, despite what some people think.

There's no law against parking on the public road outside a persons house, despite what some people think.

Whatabout outside their gate ? ie an entrance.

We're talking about blocking gates here. Your not allowed block somones access to their property. Outside peoples houses is fine, blocking access is not.

Stekelly wrote: »
    We're talking about blocking gates here. Your not allowed block somones access to their property. Outside peoples houses is fine, blocking access is not.

Correct. What if someone in that premises needed to be removed to an ambulance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Correct. What if someone in that premises needed to be removed to an ambulance?

Then they'd wheel them out on a stretcher to the ambulance and put them in the back of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement