Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is a good time to plant new hedging and trees

Options
  • 30-08-2010 10:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

I want to plant some more hedging and trees around my garden for privacy and wind protection. Is it too soon to plant? I've heard November is a good time for bare root hedging.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

As far as I am aware the dormant season is the time to plant bare root roughly from November to Feb/march.

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Depending on where you are, once first frost hits you ... Early - Mid November onwards... I wouldn't plant any before this!! Try get them planted before Winter set's in, But don't do it if it's a frosty day..

If you plant before Winter set's in the plant can and will have time to develop a better root system... (The Soil is still "warm" from the Previous Summer)

You can plant right up to April even early May depending where you are .. But I wouldn't go after end March ! Give the Plant as Much time to settle and send out roots... Don't Expect much "up" Growth for 1-2 years... Try Add phosphorus which will stimulate root growth

Advertisement