Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats a Full Irish?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

To me, the "Full Irish" is sausages, rashers, black & white pudding and a fried egg. Served with toast and room temperature butter - so that the butter soaks in and doesn't "sit" on top of the toast. Nyom! :D And, as Hill Billy mentioned, a slice of fried bread that soaks up all that delish sausage/rasher/egg juice from the pan.

Beans are part of the English (and American?) Breakfast. Potato farls are part of the Ulster Fry. Hash browns are an American import that have become popular in the last decade, but wouldn't be traditional "Irish".

Now... as regards condiments... for me it has to be Chef, both red and brown sauce. Many prefer Heinz, but that isn't really a traditional Irish brand, is it? :pac:

Anyway, any variation of it is a smashing start to the (weekend) day!

Kandee red sauce... don't like it myself, but this is an old-timey homegrown brand from "back in the day". This would also be no doubt part of the traditional "Full" of our forefathers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Sausages & rashers are just too salty without beans. You need beans' sugary saucy goodness!

I go for brekkie in the Kylemore Cafe at the Spire some Sundays - toast, sausages, black pudding, beans, scrambled egg (made into a sandwich) On the side, tomato & mushroom (for damage control!) and a nice cuppa tae. I would LOVE if they served potato farls there... with tons of butter *drool*

I'm afraid I don't like rasher or white pudding enough to order it. *shields self* :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

No, can't say that I am familiar with beans for American breakfast. My mom and dad's family are from the South and I would say that a traditional Southern breakfast (as made by madea) included biscuits, grits, ham, sausage, scrambled eggs, and home fries. Sometimes there were pork chops or steak or sausage gravy, but there was always biscuits and grits.

I remember the first time that I encountered an Irish breakfast. I think I only ate the eggs and one of the sausages.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

There has to be more than one egg :) Nice thick rashers with rind on (grilled is nicer than fried), 2 fried eggs, black and white pudding, (hold the sausages), 1 fried tomato for each slice of pudding, a potato farl, toast, butter and marmalade on the side, and a big strong mug of tea. Perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PeteEd

FFS

potato bread; wrong.
    potato cakes; wrong.
    potato farls; wrong.

Its called FADGE!

Stop getting fadge wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Do a Google image search on 'potato farl', and then do one on 'fadge' (NSFW). I rest my case ;)

Back on topic, NO to hash browns, NO to beans (although we always served beans with the Full Irish when I worked in a café). I'm on the fence about mushrooms - we stopped offering them because people never wanted them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

traditional Southern breakfast (as made by madea) included biscuits, grits, ham, sausage, scrambled eggs, and home fries. Sometimes there were pork chops or steak or sausage gravy, but there was always biscuits and grits.

That breakfast you described sounds... em... disgusting.
    Darkginger wrote: »
    Do a Google image search on 'potato farl', and then do one on 'fadge' (NSFW). I rest my case ;)

rotten

• Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

bigneacy wrote: »
    Don't knock it until you've tried it. Killer Wench was only describing what a traditional Southern US breakfast is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

irish-stew wrote: »
    Two sausage, two bacon, fried egg, fried potato, beans, toast, brown soda bread, potato farl, tea and orange juice

Damn you OP, i'm hungry now.

:D
    Followed by a huge fart and a heart attack.

I'm hoping the OJ will counteract things

:p
    I go for brekkie in the Kylemore Cafe at the Spire some Sundays - toast, sausages, black pudding, beans, scrambled egg (made into a sandwich) On the side, tomato & mushroom (for damage control!) and a nice cuppa tae. I would LOVE if they served potato farls there... with tons of butter *drool*

They dont do a bad brekkie actually

<drools>

bigneacy wrote: »

How interesting considering that most of the foods in our breakfast seem to be found in your breakfast with the difference being how the pork is cured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

pork chops? pork chops? You are all mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

How interesting considering that most of the foods in our breakfast seem to be found in your breakfast with the difference being how the pork is cured.

What are grits? I have always wondered.

What are grits? I have always wondered.

Essentially, it is ground corn that is later rehydrated until it is almost like an oatmeal consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Pork chops or liver means you've crossed the line from Full Irish to Mixed Grill.

Can't abide hash browns myself, always just frozen muck and don't seem cooked properly half the time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

In our house we have home made potato cakes with our Full Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

And, as Hill Billy mentioned, a slice of fried bread that soaks up all that delish sausage/rasher/egg juice from the pan.

Sick...

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I hate when beans are included in the meal, they get everywhere. Everything else and people will just take the full breakfast and not eat what they don't want. If they don't like beans they need to ask for them to be left out, which is often gotten wrong.

I have been in places in England where they serve the beans in seperate ramekins which isn't a bad idea.

Can't understand how beans caught on over here at all. I'd take hash browns over them in a heartbeat. My perfect brekkie is as in the OP, but with scrambled eggs, the mushrooms and fried tomato and a couple of hashbrowns, toast and tea. (don't skimp on the toast and tea for the love of god)

In general though mushrooms, hash browns and scrambled eggs are poor in cafes/hotels as they don't sit well for more than a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Nanaki

No beans ideally, not with a fry (but I'd still eat them if served)
    But it should also have potato bread or boxty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

For my own Full Irish,I don't care what ye think :pac: I like:
    3 sausages,3 rashers,black and white pudding,hash browns,beans,fried tomato and a good bit of red sauce.

Advertisement