Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reccomend a good UK con

Options
  • 30-08-2010 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

so after returning from nom-con which was my first i am eager to go to some of the bigger ones. but as fate would have it Eirtakon and Scotland loves anime are all on around my 30th bday and i am going away. (**** it) so can someone reccomend a good UK/Europe con that is going to be held in the next 6 months. already planning to go to kitacon next year and would like to get another one in between then and now. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Alcon is coming up very soon - know a couple of folks going and was invited to exhibit myself but dates didn't suit. Don't know anything more about it other then whats on the website - might be some folks on here going or been before that can expand on it. Not sure what best travel option is from Ireland to Leicester - think East Midlands Airport is the nearest.

J-Culture Con in Derby - small but well run and nice mix of people. Not sure if it's worth traveling the distance for, more a con I'd go to if I was in the area.

MCM is the halloween weekend in London [there's a couple MCM's though out the year but thats the next one coming up] Been to the last two and it's a pretty decent show but worth buying your ticket in advance as the line in the morning is around the excel center and you could be waiting hours to get in if your buying on the day. It's two days but if you can only make one day aim for the saturday as it seems to be better day of the last two MCM's and london transport tends to be a nightmare on sundays. MCM is one of the better UK shows as far as cosplay goes.

BICS is up before that in October in Brimingham it's a mixture of everything comic related. Given the choice I'd opt for MCM as BICS despite it's size and location tends to be a bit quite or at least has been the last two years.

Comica
    takes place in London at the start of November, they've just started posting information for this year. Tends to be more spread out date wise so one that's better if your living in London or near abouts.

Thought Bubble is on in November, it's only one day but has quickly becoming one of the fav comic shows of the UK scene. Quite a few in cosplay last year and good mixture of comics and merch but bit of pain flight wise to get to from Ireland without having to stay overnight [unless flight times have changed since last year]

If you want to head to Europe wait till January and go to Angouleme! It's the largest comic book festival in the world, so large that it takes over the whole town not just a hotel or event hall. Seriously ever shop, cafe, house etc has something comic related going on. Only thing is you need to look for a hotel now as everything books up super early for the festival.

There's a bunch more but that's a few of the ones coming up soonish

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Lemegeton

thanks for the info. i will look into them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Forgot about Hyper Japan in London at the start of October - mixed bag event lots of cosplay and loads of food

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

ztoical wrote: »
    Alcon is coming up very soon - know a couple of folks going and was invited to exhibit myself but dates didn't suit. Don't know anything more about it other then whats on the website - might be some folks on here going or been before that can expand on it. Not sure what best travel option is from Ireland to Leicester - think East Midlands Airport is the nearest.

Avoid Alcon like the plague, the organiser Mike Towers has his own Encyclopedia Dramatica page due to his shenanigans within the UK anime community and has managed to get himself banned from London Expo

I would recommend Kitacon www.kitacon.org

Advertisement