Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cleaning Perspex!!

• 30-08-2010 10:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

I have a fairly old Burgman (10 years) and the Perspex screen (I assume it is Perspex) is no longer transparent, it has a dirty film on it. I have tried a number of products (having sought advice) on to cleaning it but to no real effect, and they are:
    1. Washing up liquid
    2. Cif
    3. White spirits
    4. T-Cut
    5. Some turtle wax, soft top vinyl cleaner (shifted something, but no clearer)
    6. Elbow grease.
    7. Windowlene spray

On the internet one piece of advice was to sand it down with some very fine paper or use brasso? I know I can buy another screen but before I go down that road, has anyone go any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

WD-40?
    Or how about brown sauce and a cloth, it works on rust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

It depends on what the 'dirty film' is a result of and if the products you list haven't done it then Brasso isn't either. If you sand it you will struggle to polish it back up again - a replacement from City Spares or even Suzuki mighn't cost that much, heres one on eBay.

You could try a little cellulose thinners but its more than likely going to soften and damage the plastic - patch test it on a small spot first.

The screen is made from polycarbonate which is quite resilient but very difficult to restore once it gets damaged.

'cptr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you have used CIF on the screen it will have been scratched. You need to use plastic polish to try and make it clear again.
    The only one that I have used is made by Novus.
    But by the time you have used the stuff I am not sure the result would be as good as a new screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Polish and lots of elbow grease. Worked for me for headlights on my car, I'd say it would work on perspex too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Tcut,Brasso,uPVC cleaner are all the same stuff.....if you DO use any of these they will leave millions of tiny swirl marks...could be a nightmare if you use the bike at night...better to get a new screen if funds allow..;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

try using a dishwasher product on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

reckon theres going to be no way around getting a very severly 'swirled' effect, which may end up as bad as the dirt film...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Coca Cola

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭judas1369

You could try toothpaste! Seriously its a mild abrasive and works quite well without leaving scour marks, its an old trick from my model building days and it does work. Try it in an inconspicious spot to see will it work for you. If the problem is yellowing from aging due to UV, its unlikely it will "clean" off as the properties of the screen have undergone a photochemical change and it won't be just sitting on the surface as a film rather it will permeate the screen itself and it will probably have lost some tensile strength and become brittle as well - so may need replacing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭furerer

judas1369 wrote: »
    If the problem is yellowing from aging due to UV, its unlikely it will "clean" off as the properties of the screen have undergone a photochemical change and it won't be just sitting on the surface as a film rather it will permeate the screen itself and it will probably have lost some tensile strength and become brittle as well - so may need replacing.

I agree.......probable cause is the sun.....not the newspaper type.........it will have permeated through the plastic.........dont waste any more money on cleaning products, you'll have to buy a new one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

You need a proper plastic/acrylic polish, like Plexus

The stuff I have is widely used by owner's of small aircraft - all those Cessna windscreens are plastic, so maybe a quick call to your local flying club would do the trick !

Another one that might work, is called 'Renovate' or 'Hindsight', and Meguiars' have one as well, designed for rejuvenating plastic windscreens used on convertible cars.

Btw, they're not expensive.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Many thanks to all. Went for a second hand screen. A few scratches but I can see through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Wally Runs wrote: »
    Many thanks to all. Went for a second hand screen. A few scratches but I can see through it.

Keep it clean and DONT use anything other than soapy water to clean it...EVER.....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Sids Not wrote: »
    Keep it clean and DONT use anything other than soapy water or semen to clean it...EVER.....;)
    FYP:pac:

Advertisement