Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free GPS on Nokia 5800

Options
  • 30-08-2010 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

I've seen people complaining that the Sat Nav on 5800 connect up to internet and download maps etc while driving. It does this because you haven't pre-loaded the maps.

Here is how to avoid costs altogether.
    1) Download Ovi Suite
    2) Install and connect phone with the USB cable.
    3) Open Ovi Suite and click on View, Go to, Maps.
    4) Scroll down to RoI and click Download.
    9a2c9.jpg

5) Done :) You can now add UK maps, US, whatever until you run out of memory.
    6) You can also download free Sat Nav voices using the same window. Or even use your own voice in it.

7) Get into car.
    8) Set phone to offline mode by tapping on the Home screen date and choose Offline. edit: or use suggestions from posts below
    8728b.jpg

9) Once offline start GPS. It may take it a bit longer to find your position without the A-GPS connected but should not be more than a few minutes.
    10) While in offline mode the phone wont accept calls or texts. It also limits what addresses you can search for somewhat.
    11) At destination, turn GPS off and set phone back to General.

If you go on longer journeys then you should probably have a 12V-230V adapter so you can charge the phone while driving. This can also be used for laptop etc...
    6937316117129-1.jpg

Enjoy your free world wide maps :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Good post and i would agree, but you dont need to put the phone into offline mode. Simply just select the maps app to be 'offline' in the options menu. This will mean you still get your calls and texts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Good idea lads thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Would you guys know if it costs much to connect to the positioning server when roaming?

I'm on Vodafone PAYG and will be using the GPS in America next week. The positioning server is handy but I'll turn it off if I'm going to be charged loads to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Can the same method be used in the Nokia 6700 Classic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Does this work on Nokia 5230 too?

Does this work on Nokia 5230 too?

It does :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

is there any way to go back to main screen to read a text and stuff without having to close the app and knocking off the location your going to?

Just press the menu button, then press and hold to get back to the other running app

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

Davy wrote: »
    Just press the menu button, then press and hold to get back to the other running app

Thanks Davy

Advertisement