Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost credit note

Options
  • 30-08-2010 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

I recently returned a dress to a shop after I changed my mind about the purchase. When I returned the dress the lady in the shop took my details including address, phone number and my laser details and printed me a short till receipt/credit note. I have since lost this possibly throwing it out of my wallet with other receipts. I went into the shop a couple of days ago to enquire if I could still get the value of the credit note despite having lost it and was told no that the note was like cash and I should have been more careful. I have checked the consumer.ie website and can't find any details on lost credit notes although it does say you have no comeback if you loose a voucher. Have I any hope or should I just chalk it down?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

I doubt it to be honest. Where I work they are treated as cash and are the customers responsibility! If it's a small independent shop they may look up the transaction!

No harm in trying!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭mystique150

It’s a small independent boutique and my details were all hand written into their little black book. It’s a new enough establishment so I thought they might be a bit more lenient. It was feckless of me to throw it out to begin with but I said I'd ask to see what experiences other people have had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If you lost a €50 note, would the bank give you a new one? No, because anyone could find the original one and use it. When someone uses a credit note how do they know if they are the genuine recipient of the credit note or not?

jor el wrote: »
    If you lost a €50 note, would the bank give you a new one? No, because anyone could find the original one and use it. When someone uses a credit note how do they know if they are the genuine recipient of the credit note or not?

I get that, it is just that in my case they went to the effort of taking all my details. I wonder why bother going to all that effort if they still depend on the bit of paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I get that, it is just that in my case they went to the effort of taking all my details. I wonder why bother going to all that effort if they still depend on the bit of paper?

Sometimes people set up elaborate procedures without thinking them through.

If they were to treat credit notes as transferable (which many retailers do) then a situation could emerge where somebody else uses the credit note and the original holder also asks for its value.

• Advertisement

Sometimes people set up elaborate procedures without thinking them through.

If they were to treat credit notes as transferable (which many retailers do) then a situation could emerge where somebody else uses the credit note and the original holder also asks for its value.

Or the situation where nobody gets the value from the note...ah well, it seems like a lost cause. I'll be sure to ask for a refund next time. This is probably a fine example of why retailers rather give a credit note as every now and again a gob****e like me wil come along and loose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

Or the situation where nobody gets the value from the note...ah well, it seems like a lost cause. I'll be sure to ask for a refund next time. This is probably a fine example of why retailers rather give a credit note as every now and again a gob****e like me wil come along and loose it.

in fairness the shop didn't have to give you anything originally as you just changed your mind. So be prepared to be disappointed when you demand a refund the next time you change your mind.

I can't understand this mentality of just changing your mind. I was with my missus one day in a womens fashion store and the woman in the queue ahead of us had about 10 items purchased over the previous few weeks and was returning them as she had 'changed her mind' .. she was getting a credit note and was trying to insist on a refund but the shop was having none of it.

every shop has a changing room with a mirror that is larger than what most people have at home .. why suddenly change your mind after parting with your hard earned cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

As Whippet says, the shop were doing you a big favour by allowing a return for a change of mind.. They had no legal obligation to do so, as the product was not faulty or mis-sold.

It may seem harsh, but you made the original mistake in buying something you later regretted, and the shop were kind enough to take it back.. then you made the subsequent mistake of losing the credit note... Hard to really hold the shop at fault here, when you were the one who made the mulitple mistakes.

Chalk it down to experience. :)

Welease wrote: »
    As Whippet says, the shop were doing you a big favour by allowing a return for a change of mind.. They had no legal obligation to do so, as the product was not faulty or mis-sold.

It may seem harsh, but you made the original mistake in buying something you later regretted, and the shop were kind enough to take it back.. then you made the subsequent mistake of losing the credit note... Hard to really hold the shop at fault here, when you were the one who made the mulitple mistakes.

Chalk it down to experience. :)
    Afraid so...oh well.

As for Whippet, I'd hate to be the woman dragging your moany ass around the shops....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

mystique wrote:

Any time I've ever brought back something to a shop (PC World, Argos, etc) they've asked for such details. It seems to be something that shops do, perhaps to keep an eye on people who bring back lots of stuff? Anyway, it's fairly common practice, and not so that you can reclaim the credit note value without the note itself.
    I'll be sure to ask for a refund next time.

You wouldn't have gotten a refund anyway.
    mystique wrote:
    As for Whippet, I'd hate to be the woman dragging your moany ass around the shops....

I would suggest you cop on to yourself before abusing the people who quite rightly point out that you are the one in the wrong, and take a look at your own moaning (on this thread) before complaining about anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

Afraid so...oh well.

:p

jor el wrote: »
    Any time I've ever brought back something to a shop (PC World, Argos, etc) they've asked for such details. It seems to be something that shops do, perhaps to keep an eye on people who bring back lots of stuff? Anyway, it's fairly common practice, and not so that you can reclaim the credit note value without the note itself.

You wouldn't have gotten a refund anyway.

I would suggest you cop on to yourself before abusing the people who quite rightly point out that you are the one in the wrong, and take a look at your own moaning (on this thread) before complaining about anyone else.

Thats me put in my place anyway. I'll just go stand in the corner now...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Details are taken when consumers return items for the following reasons

1 To ensure that the staff member isn't processing fraudulent refunds/credit notes

2 To keep tabs on persistent refunders/exchangers

3 Some stores use it as a way of collecting a database of customers - but they will always ask your permission to do so.

Bad luck on your part OP but you don't really have anyone to blame but yourself!

Details are taken when consumers return items for the following reasons

1 To ensure that the staff member isn't processing fraudulent refunds/credit notes

2 To keep tabs on persistent refunders/exchangers

3 Some stores use it as a way of collecting a database of customers - but they will always ask your permission to do so.

Bad luck on your part OP but you don't really have anyone to blame but yourself!

Indeed, it was entirely my own fault! I just didn't see any obvious reason for taking my details other than for verifying or validating the credit note but as outlined there are plenty of other reasons.

Advertisement