Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding out who owns a property

Options
  • 30-08-2010 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

I was wondering, how do you go about finding out who owns a particular property? There is an abandoned, delapidated property in Dublin in a suburb I pass through when I get the bus. I really do think that it has potential. Nothing has happened to it in the last 6 years. How would I go about this?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

I was wondering, how do you go about finding out who owns a particular property? There is an abandoned, delapidated property in Dublin in a suburb I pass through when I get the bus. I really do think that it has potential. Nothing has happened to it in the last 6 years. How would I go about this?

Thanks in advance.

Go to your local authority (e.g. the Fingal CC HQ in Swords) and ask, they have maps and some details. I did this before about a wrecked house and found it was actually owned by the council ! Years later it's still lying idle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Council is the first port of call, some of them have lists of derelict houses/sites.

Then if its not theirs I think you can you to the Land Registry and pay 5 or 6 quid to find out who owns the land. Then hope the house is owned by the same person who owns the land before approaching them.

But at a guess Id say its the councils because a lot of derelict property in private hands was done up and resold during the boom. You could try to offer to buy it off them but if there's protected walls/ structures I don't think the cost of it and the amount of red tape would be worth it.

Advertisement