Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards 10m TT - Black Bull/Batterstown Tuesday 31 August

• 30-08-2010 12:10pm
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

OK, following on from this thread it looks like we have some interest in doing this tomorrow (Tuesday the 31st) evening. I would suggest sign-on at Black Bull by 6.45, allowing us to start getting riders off by 7pm - that should allow us to get everyone back in reasonable light

Not sure if we have any volunteers for timing/marshalling. As I said in the original thread we could probably get away without a marshall if everyone takes the roundabout carefully, but it would be better if we had one. I am sure we could self-time if necessary, although again it would be much better if we had a volunteer

Now I just need to work out where the start is! (it's just under 2km on from the N3/M3 interchange on the R154 to Batterstown). Hopefully there will be some markings from the vets races, but I can vaguely recall where it should be!!

Please post here if you intend doing this, so we have an idea of numbers

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Yep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭ten speed racer

The start is marked on the road by a short white line and, I think, "10 TT".

I won't be there, but I hope you have a good time.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

MapMyRide here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Put me down as a maybe. I am on call this week so it will depend of how much sleep I am going to get in the night...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Me too. I reckon I wouldn't have the legs for the run home to Baldoyle afterwards so I'll probably bring the car. I'll have a rack on the back in that case with room for one or two...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Me too! I'd prefer to race than marshal tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

This is two miles from my home place but I've an exam very early the next morning :(

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Basster wrote: »
    This is two miles from my home place but I've an exam very early the next morning :(
    Don't panic - I'm sure you'll be able to sit it next year ...

Me too! I'd prefer to race than marshal tho.
    I am sure we can work round it if we don't have someone to time us. I've a cheap stop-watch and if the first 1 or 2 home have Garmins I think we'll be able to get some pretty accurate timings for everyone.

How about if we park a few cars across the other entrances to the roundabout. That should deal with the marshalling issues... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Bolli*ed after today and that place cost me 3 tubes last Thursday so I don't know if I'll be there.

Edit, ah kenmac is collecting tyres from me so its so long till next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭leftism

Should make it to this one so long as i can get finished up early in work....

My girlfriend might be interested in taking part too but might need to set her off first (God i hope she doesn't read this).

I've a Garmin and will bring paper, pens, clipboard and a decent watch for timing.

So meet around 6.30ish and try to organise things???

Is Black Bull a pub or something where we're meeting???

leftism wrote: »
    Is Black Bull a pub or something where we're meeting???
    I think it's simply the name of the area. You will see it on the MapMyRide link I posted. When you take the R154 towards Batterstown perhaps 100m or so along there is a road off to the left. When we have done the vets races this is where everone parks. It may be, with relatively small numbers taking place, we may be able to park along the R154, but I would suggest we congregate somewhere near that junction by 6.45, and any latecomers carry on along to the start (which is a perhaps 2-3km before Batterstown)

I'll aim to be there a bit earlier (hopefully by 6.30, possibly earlier)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Might go out, I do like this circuit and have no expectations on a 16km TT so if I can find people heading from the park I will probably go.

On the drops ftw!

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Might go out, I do like this circuit and have no expectations on a 16km TT so if I can find people heading from the park I will probably go.

On the drops ftw!

Dirk. I will be heading out from the Park. No idea where this place is so if you want to be my guide then well and good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭kenmac

@Velo.2010......

Don't let me stop you......I can get the tyres on Wednesday If you want.....

I'll be driving out from Glasnevin with two bike places on the rack. Won't be going back that way afterwards though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I'm thinking of cycling there from Killester. I presume heading for Cabra and out the N3 is the best route? I'm sure the N3/M50 junction is fun but alternative routes look like a lot of hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Re Marshalling, what's involved? I mean, if I show up with a motorbike would that be handy or in any way useful?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I'm thinking of cycling there from Killester. I presume heading for Cabra and out the N3 is the best route? I'm sure the N3/M50 junction is fun but alternative routes look like a lot of hassle.

I don't know if I'll be out for this TT but if I were going I'd avoid the new N3/M50 interchange. I haven't been across it since they opened the new ramps from the M50, but it's easy enough to just go around.

If you go left at the Auburn avenue (no roundabout there anymore) and then right at the little roundabout immediately after you can go over the M50 on the ped/bike bridge and rejoin the N3 before Blanchardstown. It's a lot less stressful and only very slightly longer.

nereid wrote: »
    Re Marshalling, what's involved? I mean, if I show up with a motorbike would that be handy or in any way useful?

I would imagine that'd be very useful for the turn! If you threw on a high-viz jacket and were down at the turn it would probably make things safer and easier seeing as thats the most likely/only place to be any problems.

nereid wrote: »
    Definitely - ideally we need someone to time us, but a marshall would be great.

The only potential area of concern is a roundabout where we turn back towards the start/finish, and its simply a matter of standing at that roundabout to warn/hold back any traffic whenever a rider is entering it.

I've a high-viz vest in the back of my car, which can help give the impression of officialdom, and hopefully give drivers enough warning to avoid ploughing into you!!

Once the last rider is through, it's job done.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I won't cycle this one but I was thinking of driving out to have a look see.
    I'll help out if I can.
    I have a hi-vis vest also.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Beasty wrote: »
    Definitely - ideally we need someone to time us, but a marshall would be great.

The only potential area of concern is a roundabout where we turn back towards the start/finish, and its simply a matter of standing at that roundabout to warn/hold back any traffic whenever a rider is entering it.

I've a high-viz vest in the back of my car, which can help give the impression of officialdom, and hopefully give drivers enough warning to avoid ploughing into you!!

Once the last rider is through, it's job done.

cool,

I'll make arrangements for later so - it's basically on my way home.

I already have the Garda Lookalike clothing...

If you're passing Glasnevin (or slightly north) I might join you and spin out. Was planning to drive 'cos it's 30km home after and I don't know if I'd be up for that. Can offer a lift home from Glasnevin after if you want...

There's a route out by Cappagh - Tyrrellstown avoiding the N3 entirely.

Sounds good. I will need to escape from work early enough and make sure I'm not required at home. Would you be OK with PMing me your number and I will give you a shout in the afternoon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I've a football match in UCD at 6.30pm so no can do for me I'm afraid. Gutted to miss it cos I think it'd be a good bit of craic, enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

ROK ON wrote: »
    Dirk. I will be heading out from the Park. No idea where this place is so if you want to be my guide then well and good.

Ah, cheers for that ROK ON but I think I will sit this one out, my racing legs seem to have left me. I don't think I will be doing Mondello on thursday either, argh!

• Advertisement

Oh my.. this thing is 40kms away from me! Oh well.. getting ready now and driving down there. I am in bits due to a sleepless night, but see you in a bit :)

And our new (and first) 10mTT champion is .....

... Niceonetom, with a winning time of 23m 26s

Congratulations Tom

cdaly_ will post up the results, and all this is from memory:

Second Third place went to a non-boardsie on a fixie, so that's 2 reasons for disqualifying him;) - his time of 24m 740s or so was pretty impressive nonetheless

ThirdSecond place went to one of the vets - he's so old I think he may be going a bit senile, as he could not remember his username:D! Well done Arranmoreelw!

I managed to clock 24m 49s, which is over 20s up on my previous best. Conditions were excellent, but I am still pleased with dipping under 25m for the first time - Mr Skeffington's old TT bike made quite a difference, with its bar-end shifters allowing me to change gear much more regularly than on the clip-ons on my normal bike. This was my first time on the bike, and I think there is a bit of room for improvement - I'll put the stats in the training log

Next came leftism at 24m 52s - making 5 of us in total under 25 minutes. There were another 5 riders, and I'll leave it to cdaly_ to post all the times

Thanks to Caroline, Hermy and nereid for coming out to time-keep and marshall

It was a new experience for a lot of those out tonight, but everyone posted excellent times, with, I think, 9 of us under 30 minutes

27m31s for me. 35km avg. Delighted. First time ever doing something like this. I wanted to do around 30m and not do worse than 35m.
    So happy given that I now have a benchmark.
    Due to bad bike fit I did 90% of TT on the hoods. I reckon if I used the Kuota I could improve.
    Never hit a high HR but given the horrible burning feeling in my legs I don't think I could have pushed hardet tonite.
    Hated doing it but loved how I felt after.
    Leftism passed me around 6km. Tried to stay with him but couldn't.

I am not sure how applicable this is to racing, but if I can sustain that pace on my own with some training I hope to be able to hang in their in an A4 race.

Happy. A small amount done a lot more to do. I reckon pain could be more enjoyable than I previously thought.

@ Beasty: I'm expecting a rematch next season! ;)

Thanks to all the boardsies who helped make this a great event! Really was great fun, and myself and the missus thoroughly enjoyed our first TT experience.

The girlfriend (officially christened 'Rightism' by Beasty) was a bit apprehensive when she arrived to see fully kitted out timetrial bikes and aero wheels etc, but she was so glad she did it in the end and all the encouragement and cheering at the finish really made it a great atmosphere!

We should definitely organise more of these in the future and i have to say, i love the course. Simple, flat and gruelling!

I'll post up some of the pics from the finish when i get a chance to upload them.

26m30s for me. Don't think I could have done a lot more, although it is funny that when I was passed by John near the end I managed to up it a bit and keep him in my sights - maybe the skill of TT is being able to up it without needing someone to chase.

I am still finding my cycling mojo but I don't think TT is likely to be a particular strength of mine (anyway all that kit looks scarily expensive!). It was great fun though and nice to meet everyone. Thanks to Caroline, Beasty and Hermy for the organising and timekeeping. Thanks to nereid for the marshalling - when I went to thank you in person, you had gone.

Cdaly and I had a nice long spin out and back (with ROK ON along for the ride on part of the way home). They were like TTs in themselves, with a nice bit added on the way out by taking an unplanned diversion through Ratoath.

Hope to see you all again soon.

BTW, I think Fixie Man's time was 24:40 - still mightily impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

well done to all those of you that made it out tonight. sounds like I missed a great night. next time i hope!

• Advertisement

leftism wrote: »
    @ Beasty: I'm expecting a rematch next season! ;)
    We did agree I get the benefit of a 15 minute handicap, didn't we:D
    26m30s for me. Don't think I could have done a lot more, although it is funny that when I was passed by John near the end I managed to up it a bit and keep him in my sights - maybe the skill of TT is being able to up it without needing someone to chase.
    Having someone to chase is, in my view, a definite advantage - it helps you pace yourself consistently while you are hunting down the "prey", but more importantly it's something to focus on while pushing yourself. On my last 10mTT I overtook 4 or 5 other riders, and it was a major incentive. Having said that, when I did a 25m TT a couple of months ago, someone overtook me, but had probably overcooked it in chasing me down, I re-took him, and it was probably another 5km before he managed to get past me again

I think you are right - there was some confusion over his time - I think it was originally down as 24.07 but was later revised to 24.40, which probably means he was 3rd, and the other vet 2nd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Well done all, I love that stretch of road. Will hopefully be back out that way Thursday or Friday afternoon.

It was my first ever TT and I enjoyed it. Pain, pain, pain and no breath for 27m42s. I was coming from a sleepless night and tired legs from SKT but I gave everything I could. My Avg HR was 94 % of Max and it went from 120 to 182 in less than 10seconds and stayed there for the whole ride. A good warmup would probably help as the legs were burning for the first 3kms and I got cramps for the last 1.5 as I couldn't drink any water, but I only did a 5min leg spinning before we started. All in all, I am really pleased, I gave everything I could and I couldn't breath properly for the next 5 to 7 mins after I finished. My chest was burning and I was feeling dizzy, so I assume I did something right! I have a benchmark now to work on.

Big thanks to nereid, Caroline and hermy for helping out with the marshaling and timing and congrats to everyone for your great times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

What gearing did he have, 24:40 is impressive for a fixed gear.

Great fun! did a 20km warm-up spin with manwithaplan on the way out, felt in fine fettle averaging about 30 kph. Wandered around in circles looking for the turn off the N3 which seems to have disappeared under a new motorway junction.

I was first away and second home after being passed by Beasty around 6 km. Well proud of not being caught by anyone else. I still came in last of the men and I expect Elisa's time beat me when adjusted for male / female performance expectations.

Well pleased with my 28m22 as I hadn't expected to finish under 30m.

Anyway, times (name: time: avg speed):
    1. Niceonetom: 23m26: 41 kph
    2. Arranmorely: 24m07: 39.8 kph
    3. Fixieguy: 24m40: 38.9 kph
    4. Beasty: 24m49: 38.7 kph
    5. Leftism: 24m52:38.6 kph
    6. Manwithaplan: 26m30: 36.2 kph
    7. Rok on: 27m31: 34.9 kph
    8. Astramonti: 27m44: 34.6 kph
    9. cdaly_: 28m22: 33.8 kph
    10. Elisa (aka rightism): 32m15: 29.8 kph

Well done everyone, an impressive showing.

Next one is definitely a downhill no chain TT... :D

• Advertisement

Ooh! So it turns out that little detour via Ratoath turned a 20km warmup into a 30km warmup...

Apologies about the crappy quality... Could hardly hold the camera steady i was that exhausted!

47739_430283648373_665038373_4763419_3787995_n.jpg

46034_430283723373_665038373_4763420_5139312_n.jpg

46034_430283728373_665038373_4763421_2880806_n.jpg

46034_430283733373_665038373_4763422_5618694_n.jpg

45949_430283898373_665038373_4763425_1371794_n.jpg

45949_430283903373_665038373_4763426_6924937_n.jpg

3rd pic says it all.. holding my chest trying to breath! lol

I enjoyed that, but only retrospectively, as is the way with TTs.

Thanks again to Nereid, Hermy and Caroline for giving up their time to keep us safe and timed. I got all the way around the roundabout without having to get off the extensions, which is a first for me and impossible without the magic high-viz. Thanks!!

Good to see we got a few out for what might be the last evening event of the year. I think everyone did well, and exceeded their own expectations with some good times. TTing is a strangely addictive challenge. There was a lot of "jesus, that was fcuking painful... awful stuff... I'm in bits... ....next time I'll etc." which I think proves the psychoactive effect of the painkillers your body produces during that kind of effort.

I'd never done that 10m before, I've only done the other one that starts in Batterstown and goes up the Mullagh - I should have known the vets would use the easier (and faster) one, the wily badgers. I think I'll start using this one in training, though probably not until next year, it's a really good simple test and might be useful for seeing how the form is developing in the spring.

I think we can now all take it a proven too, that a planet-x with a compact chainset is clearly the right choice for time-trialling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I hope rightism is ok today :) I hope all that stretching worked.

Nice pics, I hate maths I hope I didnt make any mistakes.

Fast Fixie Guy isnt a Boardsie, if you read this, you better sign up ... you have yoru name picked out for you anyway ... FastFixieGuy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What was the route? Same starting point as the club TTs but just out and back on the Trim road?

Lumen wrote: »
    What was the route? Same starting point as the club TTs but just out and back on the Trim road?

I think you start your TT's in Batterstown - this started further SE nearer the Black Bull roundabout, and goes to the first roundabout and back:
    MapMyRide here

There is a marking on the road where it starts

Lumen wrote: »
    MapMyRide here

There is a mark on the road with 10m beside it.

I see now why the beast was made mod. His speed is impressive, well, online it is anyway. :P

niceonetom wrote: »
    I should have known the vets would use the easier (and faster) one, the wily badgers.
    They try to minimise the risk of coronary's by using flatter courses;)

I think the one they use at Moy Valley/Enfield is even flatter - that road is also used for 25m and 50m TTs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement