Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to Physics outside of school

• 30-08-2010 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Please help

My daughter wants to do physics for leaving cert 2012
    but school wont do the subject
    Can you tell me how she can do partime physics somewhere and the practicals
    Irish institure only does grind type physics
    My daughter wants to be an engineer and this is so frustrating

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Don't all schools offer Biology, Chemistry and Physics for aspiring med-students?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 DS22

Only 7 wished to do Physics so they scrapped the subject

DS22 wrote: »
    Only 7 wished to do Physics so they scrapped the subject
    Are you serious? 7? There are only 7 in my Chemistry class, and there were 4 in last year's. Granted, my school only has around 400 students but that's ridiculous.

They said that 7 was the mimiumum number and that as it was likely girls would drop out they did not want to take the risk
    If you ask me its the Education funding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭i like pie

which college will she be going to? for some courses you do not need to have physics:) for example in ucd only one science subject is needed (biology chemistry or physics) to do their engineering course!

• Advertisement

They said that 7 was the mimiumum number and that as it was likely girls would drop out they did not want to take the risk
    If you ask me its the Education funding
    I agree.
    i like pie wrote: »
    which college will she be going to? for some courses you do not need to have physics:) for example in ucd only one science subject is needed (biology chemistry or physics) to do their engineering course!
    Maybe she doesn't like those subjects though.

I did architecture in college and chemistry for my leaving cert as once again physics was not available. Believe me physics would be a better choice for her than chemistry and she loves physics. I need to see if i can resolve this before giving up. She wants to do an engineering course in Trinity. She could probably get away with chemistry but she hates that subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭i like pie

well if she definitely wants to do physics you could hire a teacher to teach your daughter privately at home. you could ask the other students who wanted to do physics in your daughters year if they would be interested in doing it outside of school with your daughter? you could also ask the school if your daughter could drop a subject in school and sit in the back of a class and learn her physics instead. she'll still be allowed to sit the subject for the lc in her school even if she's doing physics outside of her school:)

I did architecture in college and chemistry for my leaving cert as once again physics was not available. Believe me physics would be a better choice for her than chemistry and she loves physics. I need to see if i can resolve this before giving up. She wants to do an engineering course in Trinity. She could probably get away with chemistry but she hates that subject.
    Whatever you do, discourage her as much as possible to do chemistry. It's the hardest science subject and unless she enjoys it it will seriously become the bane of her life.
    i like pie wrote: »
    well if she definitely wants to do physics you could hire a teacher to teach your daughter privately at home. you could ask the other students who wanted to do physics in your daughters year if they would be interested in doing it outside of school with your daughter? you could also ask the school if your daughter could drop a subject in school and sit in the back of a class and learn her physics instead. she'll still be allowed to sit the subject for the lc in her school even if she's doing physics outside of her school:)
    Or a grinds school, if the OP is in the Galway area, The Galway Study Centre in Millstreet is excellent.

All the others gave up
    Told her to talk to the Physics teacher tomorrow and see what she says
    Thanks for you advice though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bigbadbear

physics would be very helpful when studying engineering too. not just to get into the course. hassle the school to put on the subject as much as possible. It worked in my school for 8 applied maths students

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

The physics grant got cut in the last budget, so lots of schools lost the subject. Your best bet is a teacher once a week and she does most of the course by herself and then do the experiments in a grind school

Just to update you all on that story

Sive only did Physics one night a week with the Institute of Education on Leeson Street
    She got a C1 in honours and is now happily studying Engineering at Trinity College Dublin

:)

Advertisement