Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish disease

Options
  • 30-08-2010 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

I have had a tank for about 2 weeks now. We bought 4 tiny fish that dart about and 4 gold/black fish. Really fell in love with them all but we lost a golfish last week and then one of the black fish yesterday who died slow and painfully(horrible to watch). We have been treating the tank with anti fungals we got from the pet shop but that doesnt seem to have helped, now Im worried Im going to lose the other fish as well. The symptoms on the gold fish were grey spots and with the black fish it was as though the black was coming off him and he looked rusty underneath. Towards the end he was swimming on his side and lying at the bottom o the tank alot. Does this ring any bells with anyone I am really anxious not to lose any more fish:(

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Sounds like the tank isnt cycled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 frankied1

is there anything i can do other than wait?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,654 ✭✭✭Milly33

Hello sorry to hear about your fish it is a shame to see them die especially if tis a drawn out time.. I had two fish die but that was due to a batty goldfish killing them off.

Have you tried using some Milton to clean out the tank of any bacteria. Take the fish out and clean it thoroughly with some diluted milton, make sure and wash it all out.

Also you can get these salts Tonic Salts, you mix a little in with some water and then add it to the tank, I have used these on my sick fish and it works great. I would take them out of the main tank as the other fish tend to pick on the sick fish so if they are away from them they have better chance of full recovery..

Hope they get better soon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Milly33 wrote: »

Have you tried using some Milton to clean out the tank of any bacteria. Take the fish out and clean it thoroughly with some diluted milton, make sure and wash it all out.

Dont listen to this crap!

Read up on the nitrogen cycle. Bacteria is required to break down the by products that fish produce (ammonia) in to safer by products. This also includes waste food break down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,654 ✭✭✭Milly33

Fall in or wake up on the wrong side of the bed did we..Sorry I should not have said bacteria I am sure god will punish me for that one..I should have said it would get rid of the nasties that may be lingering in the tank...Id call it skank..:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement