Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAS Course- Re-selection Process

• 30-08-2010 12:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40

Hi,
    Not sure if this is a consumer issue but anyway.

I'm unemployed at the moment and applied back in March to do a FAS course to become a "Site Suitability Assessor for On-Site Wastewater Treatment Systems" (basically make sure the site is ok for septic tank and percolation area).

New EU reg's came in in Jan so all percolation testers now need to have this course done.

Anyway got a letter on 28th July saying I was successful in getting a place on course which starts on 13th Sept.
    Also said because I was unemployed I may be entitled to a fee wavier.

Just rang now to see if I was successful in getting the wavier and told because of the new EU reg's alot of people in Cork had now applied and they had to do a re-selection and I didn't make the new list (as in, I cant even do the course even if I pay for it myself).

Next course isn't until next year (possibly September again).

I had intended to go out on my own shortly but was relying on this course to give me a advantage in the market and some chance of picking up work.

Any one know if I have any rights to a place as I was initially selected and if the re-selection is legal?

Edit: Just rang a self-employed friend who was also told before he was accepted for the course too, just to see if he was still on it and he said he hadn't heard anything from FAS and paid the fee last week.
    They obviously are only picking people that will pay the full fee (even though I said plenty of times that if I couldn't get the fee wavier that I would pay)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I don't know about the legal issues, but if I were in your position, I'd go and visit my local influential TD and make him work for the vote that he got. You can bet your bottom dollar that at least one person got on the list after a bit of behind the scenes "wrangling".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Hmm.. might be better suited in State Benefits

dudara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40 Sparky J

Dudara,
    I was initially thinking the state benefit forum but it's not the fee waiver I have a issue with it's the fact I got a letter saying "a place has been reserved for you" and now I don't have a place.
    Would that not be more a consumer issue?

TD might be an option but I cant say I have faith in any politician. With the course starting in 2 weeks I would need to get it sorted ASAP.

The course is 1 week in Tullamore and 1 week in Wexford too so what if I had booked my accommodation already as well.?

Advertisement