Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to get google to find your photos

• 30-08-2010 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Ok my website doing a bit poorly so I'm trying to find a way to tag my photos so hat google would be able to pick them up in a image search e.g. a photo of Mayo, so that if anyone google mayo the search engine would pick it up.

Anyone know anyway of doing this?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Ok my website doing a bit poorly so I'm trying to find a way to tag my photos so hat google would be able to pick them up in a image search e.g. a photo of Mayo, so that if anyone google mayo the search engine would pick it up.

Anyone know anyway of doing this?

Cheers

Easiest way is to name your photo "photoOfMayo.jpg" or similar -afaik Googles highest rated image matches are ones whose title contain the words searched for.

Otherwise, just read any one of the million articles on SEO (Search Engine Optimization) for more of an idea as to how the algorithm may work (though the specifics are a closely guarded secret, there are well known ways to improve your page rank)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

This is a whole ornery can of worms, and the term normally used to describe it is SEO, or "search engine optimization".
    Basically nowadays it seems to mean using all means, fair and foul, to move your site up the all important Google rankings.

Boards SEO forum is here ... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=985

And you can google for more info. Obviously given the nature of the field, the first sites in the google results ought to be the most relevent and full of useful information :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

The long of the short of it is to make sure that all your images have your pictures well named and to use alt tags (i.e. if it's a picture of a garden gnome name the image garden-gnome.jpg and use alt="Garden Gnome" in the img tag).

This will just make it easier for google to recognise what your pictures are, you will still need to do all the other SEO bits to get your site well enough respected by google to give your images a chance of being ranked highly in the image search results page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭conkeroo

If I can add, with regards to the video, consider using flash based video. I dropped by your site to be greeted with the "no quicktime" message. More people would have flash installed over quicktime. And good luck with the seo. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

And like most photography sites that I have done SEO for you have hardly any text. Its like drawing teeth to get photographers to allow some text on their site! :D

A handy test is do a google search that finds your site then click on the cached option on the search result and when your current page that google has stored appears click on the text only option at the top.

Your site is very empty of any text in relation to Photography so beef up your about page also try and regionalise your content in things like your page titles. Go for "Dublin photographer" or wherever you aim to cover rather than photographer and reduce the competition for results.
    Other than that inbound links to you help but as has already been said there is a lot of info out there ( try a search on youtube videos are always easier to follow )
    Dont forget once you get enough posts up on boards you can add your site to your post sig. ( it all helps! )
    And good luck. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement