Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The John Murray Show

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Never one to miss a comedy opportunity John noticed that Stephen Alkin said "Dreadlocked" instead of "deadlocked" during the game yesterday.... He capitalized on this by playing Bob Marley music over the clip of Stephen Alkin saying "dreadlocked"... Is that just hilarious? It truly is a golden age for comedy on the radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Never one to miss a comedy opportunity John noticed that Stephen Alkin said "Dreadlocked" instead of "deadlocked" during the game yesterday.... He capitalized on this by playing Bob Marley music over the clip of Stephen Alkin saying "dreadlocked"... Is that just hilarious? It truly is a golden age for comedy on the radio.

No worse than an interview based around Countdown puns. Richard Whitely is turning in his grave, bad and all his jokes were :rolleyes:

No worse than an interview based around Countdown puns. Richard Whitely is turning in his grave, bad and all his jokes were :rolleyes:

"Hello ... AAAAAAAnd good morning".

He introduced the countdown winner, mark, as a "word-y" winner.. get it, worthy/wordy.... genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Enjoyed Musician's story on today's show-it was heartbreaking. John Murray tries but I find that he often makes silly comments. I don't often listen so maybe it's just today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,654 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

honeybear wrote: »
    Enjoyed Musician's story on today's show-it was heartbreaking. John Murray tries but I find that he often makes silly comments. I don't often listen so maybe it's just today.

I listened to that segment, and agree it was a very sad and touching story. First time I've left the JM show on in absolutely ages.

He really is the king of asking pointless questions. And during that interview, I noticed a few times that Veronica said something while telling her story, and a few minutes later he'd ask her exactly what she'd just said. (eg she was saying that when she was in her music room she felt like her daughter was with her - she finished what she was saying and he immediately asked "and did you feel like Judy was with you in the room?") He did this a few times. I'm not sure if it's that he has a list of questions in front of him and just goes through them in order regardless of what's been already said, or he just doesn't listen properly to the people he's interviewing.

Anyway, today's show actually wasn't that excruciating, but it won't draw me back to being a regular listener, that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I listened to that segment, and agree it was a very sad and touching story. First time I've left the JM show on in absolutely ages.

He really is the king of asking pointless questions. And during that interview, I noticed a few times that Veronica said something while telling her story, and a few minutes later he'd ask her exactly what she'd just said. (eg she was saying that when she was in her music room she felt like her daughter was with her - she finished what she was saying and he immediately asked "and did you feel like Judy was with you in the room?") He did this a few times. I'm not sure if it's that he has a list of questions in front of him and just goes through them in order regardless of what's been already said, or he just doesn't listen properly to the people he's interviewing.

Anyway, today's show actually wasn't that excruciating, but it won't draw me back to being a regular listener, that's for sure.
    I noticed that too. But I notice that with many presenters. It's very off-putting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

He's lost the plot now with this garth brooks and Brazil tie up he's trying to do , this is embarrassing .

"So how did you feel when you saw all the goals going in?" addressed to a Brazilian.

A fairly lengthy pause ensued, while yer man presumably swallowed his initial reply out of respect to listeners early in the morning.

I turned off at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

"So how did you feel when you saw all the goals going in?" addressed to a Brazilian.

A fairly lengthy pause ensued, while yer man presumably swallowed his initial reply out of respect to listeners early in the morning.

I turned off at that point.
    There's a huge cross-over of this nonsense between Murray's and Mooney's show every day.
    Interviewing supposed "fans" of the competing countries and asking them inane questions.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Murray seemed a bit disappointed that the Brazilian wasn't in floods of tears. He must have been reading the Joe Duffy Handbook.

• Advertisement

There's a huge cross-over of this nonsense between Murray's and Mooney's show every day.

Why are they persisting with this monotonous rubbish...

John Murray: "How did you feel when your team won/lost last nite?"
    Caller: "I was very happy/sad late nite, John"...

At least we were spared having to listen to Fiona Looney for the rest of the world cup.. They should organise her holidays to coincide with every world cup.

Come on john , I'm waiting with bated breath to hear a disappointed Dutch man and a delighted Argentinian , make sure to ask them " how did you feel when x missed the penalty ?" now .

BP Fallon doesn't want to listen to an old banger? Ah, BP, I can assure you, neither do we. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Pink Floyd at 9am in the morning is a bit much for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Dan Dare

Its never too early for Pink Floyd!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I disagree - I'm no fan of Pink Floyd but I found the item really engaging.

BP Fallon is deluded. Pink Floyd were infinitely better when Syd Barrett left the band. If Syd was still at the helm in the 1970's, they would have faded into obscurity. Nostalgia just ain't what it used to be.

Beep is an insufferable bore.

Fiona has been " our World Cup correspondent " , Fiona says " for my sins " , you're been paid , what a neck on her .

Oops69 wrote: »
    Fiona has been " our World Cup correspondent " , Fiona says " for my sins " , you're been paid , what a neck on her .

She probably thinks it's beneath her. She should be spending her time instead writing an award winning play. She has her eye on the Nobel Prize for Literature.

• Advertisement

Man runs through the streets of Dublin in nothing but a pair of shorts and he's a salt-o'-the-earth Dubalin character.
    Man does the same thing in Cork, Limerick, Galway or Waterford and he gets carted off by the men in white coats.

Mystic Meg says that John Murray, as a Sagittarius, should not be best suit to radio presenting. But then you didnt need to be an expert in cold reading to work that one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 BlogMan1234

BP Fallon is such a pompous bore...why was he invited to talk about
    Pink Floyds new album, when all he did was moan about them.

Because some friend of his was an x of Roger Waters and she didnt like him,
    therefore he didnt like him or his music....what bias!

I could go on, but Pink Floyd have made some incredibly fantastic, innovative music and dont need to be slated by an arrogant, embittered, & insignificant music critic like Fallon.

Wrote an email to john murray about it and didnt even get an acknowledgment.
    Thats Public service all right.

Oh great, a week of Katryn Thomas.

Oh great, a week of Katryn Thomas.

No, Murray said last week that she would be just in for the Monday... Shame on me for knowing that.. :-(

No, Murray said last week that she would be just in for the Monday... Shame on me for knowing that.. :-(

I don't know if that is supposed to be good or bad news.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

If I thought Kathryn Thomas was presenting the show for the rest of the week I'd probably listen to it.

Lapin wrote: »
    If I thought Kathryn Thomas was presenting the show for the rest of the week I'd probably listen to it.

Me too!

John, will you please go away on 'rte ' holidays, I'm sure they'll relax the new holiday rules for you .

• Advertisement

If he's playing in Vladivostok, I'd be willing to donate a few quid to send this fella on a one-way ticket.

Only heard some of the show today.

There was something creepily JoeDuffyesque about how he was DETERMINED to get some misery angle out of that author - who resolutely and cheerily absolutely refused to be drawn into it :D

Good for her, she was a breath of fresh air, and on the back of that interview alone I may go looking for her book (although IT didn't sound that cheerful :eek:)

Bad as it was, though, it was a good bit better than then nails-on-blackboard excruciating stuff that I'm now afraid of when the show comes on.

He can still do it sometimes.

A resident poet with Dublin City Council.. that's a joke surely?

A resident poet with Dublin City Council.. that's a joke surely?

Slightly splitting hairs, but he's with DLR. And they do have a remit for the arts as well as the potholes.

Ode to a Pothole by the Poet in Residence

I drove my car into a pothole
    And ended up hitting a pole
    Discombobulation all round
    My bumper on the ground
    What'll I do?
    I haven't a clue
    Take it to the garage
    Where I'll incur a char-ige
    Though the irony is not lost, that for writing this ditty
    I'll get paid by the city

My bumper on the ground
    What'll I do?
    I haven't a clue
    Take it to the garage

You should apply - you'd be a shoo-in :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭serfboard

My bumper on the ground
    What'll I do?
    I haven't a clue
    Take it to the garage

I see your sonnet and raise you a limerick

There was once a fella called Joel
    Who drove his car in-to a pothole
    But the compo he got paid
    Helped him to get laid
    Wasn't it better for him than his dole

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

Shay Byrne is a very natural presenter. Breath of fresh air.

+1

Was delighted when I heard him on this morning.

Can overdo the giggling a bit on his early show (I'm very grumpy that early) but he perfectly suits the 9am slot.

Any RTE powers-that-be reading this thread?

Always liked Shay Byrne.. He's upbeat like Mooney but without all the baggage.

Could be wrong but did Shay Byrne fill in for Mooney recently? If it was him, he was just ok- likeable but he made too many references to shows he had been in. He also referred a lot to his own weight.
    I think he is great in the morning though.

• Advertisement

honeybear wrote: »
    Could be wrong but did Shay Byrne fill in for Mooney recently? If it was him, he was just ok- likeable but he made too many references to shows he had been in. He also referred a lot to his own weight.
    I think he is great in the morning though.

He did. Seems to be full of himself. There's a fine line between confidence and arrogance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

John Murray is another misery merchant, akin to Tubbers and Jwoah Duffeh.

It's another in a myriad of reasons as to why I don't listen to him.

I do quite like Shay Byrne though, maybe because he contrasts so jarringly with the woeful and sheer annoying qualities of one D. Mooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

He did. Seems to be full of himself. There's a fine line between confidence and arrogance.

I think he can't believe his luck.

He was in the right place at the right time to take over Risin' Time.

Not a very likeable individual in my opinion, comes across as a bit creepy at times.

ahhh ... :-( make it stop..

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I think he can't believe his luck.

He was in the right place at the right time to take over Risin' Time.

Not a very likeable individual in my opinion, comes across as a bit creepy at times.
    Yeah, I don't like Byrne either. His type of early morning hilarity makes me queasy. I have my alarm always set to RTE 1 at 6 .45, but I have to hit the OFF button immediately when he starts talkin and laughin LOUDLY about whatever he talks and laughs about.
    Oh, I remember the days when I used to wake to the dulcet tones of John Creedon......

Enough of the stupid puns...

Jesus that was bloody unnecessary at this hour of the morning. Want to throw up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Jesus that was bloody unnecessary at this hour of the morning. Want to throw up.

I know, right? At least it got me out of bed pretty sharpish...

What did I miss?

I gave up on the fairy trees in the end. Why don't they just come out and say DON'T BE VANDALISING 400-YEAR-OLD TREES. Persisting with the fairy-tree rubbish (which only started on those two trees four years ago ffs) only encourages people.

What did I miss?

I gave up on the fairy trees in the end. Why don't they just come out and say DON'T BE VANDALISING 400-YEAR-OLD TREES. Persisting with the fairy-tree rubbish (which only started on those two trees four years ago ffs) only encourages people.
    The guy that plays Joffrey in Game of Thrones was on. John took the opportunity to play a clip of Joffrey sentencing someone to have their tongue removed.
    We'll talk softly softly around depression, suicide, or cancer, but a bit of gore on the radio is grand, sure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement