Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interview for Course and Pregnant

Options
  • 30-08-2010 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I am a new user on here and would appreciate your help.

I have been umemployed since March and decided now was the time for a change in career and decided on childcare. Anyway I have an interview tomorrow in D.I.F.E for the Childcare Level 5 FETAC Course.

But I am now 14 weeks pregnant so basically I am just a bit confused as to what way i should approach it. I have my heart set on the course now and just worried about it really.

Any advise for the interview would be really helpful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

First of all - fair play to you for deciding on the course and for taking it on when pregnant.

The good news is that the course is largely assignment-based so you could have a lot done before babs comes along. You would need to get your work placement days (probably 20) done before the big day as well, which is March, is it?

I don't know if I'd tell them to be honest. Are you showing? Your age could be a factor too. I only say this as I have had several students (under 20 usually) in the past who dropped out when they got pregnant. If you do tell them, make sure you're able to convince them that you are committed to completing the course and outline how you're going to keep on top of things. It would help if you had work placement sorted in theory, as this too would show your commitment.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Annie08

Hi Deemark, thanks for your reply.

I am 34 now and my due date is the 1st March. I've been working as a secretary since i was 18, basically in 2 jobs for long term, childcare was something i was always interested in but with being in full time employment i never followed up on it. I got married earlier this year so we decided to start trying for kids straight away, never know till ya start how these things work out so guess we were lucky and i fell pregnant straight away.

I have approached a few places just to even get a day work experience but they are all so strict on the garda vetting that i had no joy, and ive also just completed and passed the Occupational First Aid Course with Fas and I know that is part of the course so I am hoping that will benefit me also.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

Congrats on your pregnancy. I would advise telling the tutors early on - after they will have a duty of care towards you and may have to implement some Health and Safety changes to ensure your safety. They can not turn yur down based on your pregnancy as it is illegal and you would have ground to appeal. So if you are showing then tell them, otherwise wait til you start the course and let them know immediately.

Advertisement