Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows XP Startup Problems

• 30-08-2010 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I'm trying to fix a Lenovo laptop that belongs to a friend. When she brought it to me, it would load for about thirty seconds and shut down. Under safe mode it was the same except it would hang rather than shut down. I figured it was a software problem of some variety (driver, app, virus...) and as it was two years old I just decided to reset it up from scratch rather than diagnose the problem.

The same problem occurred once during setup but over the next few days I had no problems whatsoever and everything was working fine. On returning it, of course it reared its head twice but on restarting it, the system would run fine for hours. I've had it back now for two days and must have turned it on and off at least fifty times and the only time it re-occurred was this morning on first try since yesterday. I've run diagnostic software but it revealed no hardware faults and there's no apparent software conflicts - all the drivers are from the Lenovo site and it's running nothing that wasn't working fine before.

I can usually find a solution using Google but this time I've had no luck with these set of circumstances and was hoping someone on here might be able to help. Any help is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

If the problem is that inconsistent then maybe it's dodgy RAM?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 iquitalready

bhickey wrote: »
    If the problem is that inconsistent then maybe it's dodgy RAM?

The problem is so infrequent at the moment that by swapping out modules, I'd be testing my patience more than anything. I might try running memtest on it but I hate the idea of dragging an old floppy drive out. Anyone know of a good (free) memory diagnostic test?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Anyone know of a good (free) memory diagnostic test?

Ultimate Boot CD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

I might try running memtest on it but I hate the idea of dragging an old floppy drive out.

You can also download memtest as an ISO for burning on a CD.

bhickey wrote: »
    You can also download memtest as an ISO for burning on a CD.

Thanks all, I'm downloading UBCD now and I'll run the diagnostic tests (CPU and Memory at least). I'll let you know how I get on with the results later. Cheers.

• Advertisement

Ran the CPU and memory tests and no problems to report. However, just before I ran them, on starting up the system (which had been off for a few hours) the fan was making an unusual sound and the system shut off. There is definitely no general issue with the fan as all the burn-in tests I've run over the past two days would show up any overheating issues. But is it possible that, while inactive for a while, that the fan might fail to kick in properly and Windows XP is shutting down the system itself to avoid overheating? It shut down very quickly, within ten seconds after post/OS launching.

I'm beginning to think the fan is a symptom and not the cause of the problem. I removed and cleaned it and the heatsink out - it was fairly clean already. I ran a stress test while monitoring it with speedfan. Under normal load it was in the low 40C's and peaked at 61C while under sustained 99%-100% load. From what I can tell, these figures are reasonable and I've also had no errors on any other stress tests I've run.

I do have a clear picture of what is happening though, just no idea what it means. The problem only occurs when the laptop has been off for at least a few hours. Normally when you turn it on, the fan immediately kicks in during post for about a second or two and then turns off while Windows loads (only turning on again when needed). However when the system is cold started the fan, again, turns on during post for second or two and off again (as normal) but when windows starts to load the fan turns on again and the system shuts off two to three seconds later.

Does anyone have any idea why the fan would start on Windows loading and why it would cause it the laptop to shut down? Might it be a problem with a sensor rather than the fan? Any insight is much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭ferguson

software or hardware conflict?

Advertisement