Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who the hell dumped that dog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

mikom wrote: »
    I said "you would only have pedigrees breed"

As in you would only be allow pedigree dogs AKA purebreds to breed.

I think for some people is all about the asthetics and kudos of owning a pure bred dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    Have you met most of the people in Ireland, and spoken to them of their knowledge of dogs?

Yes

Stupid question stupid answer.

The stats provided by an earlier post around the number of dogs destroyed is telling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Maja

I was thinking exactly what most of you, before i started reading more about how people breed dogs for money...and no -i dont think only pedigree dogs should be breed - i think only pedigree dogs should be sold for money, because it takes time, effort and money to grow healthy puppies. If you dont care about pedigree, you shouldnt also care about pure breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Let's put this into perspective. We are just about the worse country in Europe. We actually kill 20 times as many dogs as in the UK if you adjust the figures to take account of population.

In 2008 we killed 16000 dogs in Irish Pounds. Scotland has a similar dog population & they killed 850.

But the Pounds are only half the story. We export thousands of farmed puppies. We breed 22,000 Greyhound puppies every year & we rehome/sell about 8000. You do not need to be an expert to guess what happens to the rest.

Per population our ISPCA prosecutes 6 times less people than the RSPCA.

The Pound figures would be much higher if not for the amazing work done by Irish rescues. They invest a huge amount of money, time, effort & get sod all in return.

The dog warden will do nothing. The Guards will do nothing. No one will prosecute these people & they know it. A woman drops a cat into a bin in the UK & she has to get Police protection. Animals suffer here because the majority of the population don't care. FF, FG & Labour have no plans to improve animal welfare because they do not believe that it is an issue for the electorate.

Discodog wrote: »
    Let's put this into perspective. We are just about the worse country in Europe. We actually kill 20 times as many dogs as in the UK if you adjust the figures to take account of population.

In 2008 we killed 16000 dogs in Irish Pounds. Scotland has a similar dog population & they killed 850.

But the Pounds are only half the story. We export thousands of farmed puppies. We breed 22,000 Greyhound puppies every year & we rehome/sell about 8000. You do not need to be an expert to guess what happens to the rest.

Per population our ISPCA prosecutes 6 times less people than the RSPCA.

The Pound figures would be much higher if not for the amazing work done by Irish rescues. They invest a huge amount of money, time, effort & get sod all in return.

-and yet GSPCA wouldnt give dog to anyone who doesnt have garden and have kids under 7. :mad: I dont have garden and my dog is perfectly happy as he is out at least 3 hours a day and i know many people do have gardens and they just keep their bored dogs over there and never walk them( or they do 3 times a week) ...makes no sense to me!

• Advertisement

I have three rescue dogs that are in superb condition yet I too would be turned down by the GSPCA as I do not have a dog proof fencing.
    This is despite the fact that I walk my dogs for 45 mins twice per day. The Dogs Trust (a UK charity) decided to open a rehoming centre outside of the UK. The situation in Ireland is so dire that we came top of their list & they spent 10 million (raised by UK dog lovers) to open a centre here.
    In contrast we give very little to animal charities.

Someone dumped my new little guy. He is a gorgeous Labrador/Collie pup. He's intelligent, easily trained, gentle, sweet natured & adorable but someone didn't want him any more & they could not be bothered to call a rescue.

Recently I was chatting to some Vets. We all wondered if the Irish don't like to microchip because they cannot deny ownership when they want to dump the dog or if it does something wrong.

The Greens could of made one huge change by making it illegal to sell a dog or puppy that is not microchipped.

Discodog wrote: »
    I have three rescue dogs that are in superb condition yet I too would be turned down by the GSPCA as I do not have a dog proof fencing.

-this is crazy... :mad: and i do agree about microchiping.

PERCENTAGE OF INCOMING DOGS THAT WERE KILLED IN IRISH POUNDS DURING 2008

3% Leitrim
    7% South Dublin
    10% Meath
    16% Louth
    19% Dublin (Ashton)
    25% Cork City
    29% Galway County
    29% Sligo
    33% Wicklow
    36% Monaghan
    36% Waterford City
    43% Wexford
    52% Waterford County
    52% Laois ISPCA
    60% Galway City
    60% Roscommon
    61% Carlow ISPCA
    66% Offaly ISPCA
    66% Westmeath
    67% Clare ISPCA
    68% Kilkenny ISPCA
    70% Limerick County
    71% South Tipperary
    71% Mayo
    74% Donegal
    76% Longford
    76% North Tipperary
    79% Cavan
    80% Kerry
    80% Cork County
    83% Kildare ISPCA
    91% Limerick City

You can see that being "rescued" by the ISPCA may not be such a good thing.

I thought ISPCA doesnt kill any dogs/cats.. :/ only the "city pound" or however its called. :(

Now this is really sad and upsetting :

http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/Environment/AnimalControl/Dogs/

"
    Dogs may be purchased from the pound for €25, with a rebate of €15 if the dog is neutered.
    There is a basic charge of €10 plus €4/day to recover impounded dogs.
    Dogs may be put down for a fee of €20.
    Impounded dogs are kept for 8 days and may then be put down. "

If they "may be put down" -they certainly are... :(

-and what the hell does in mean "dogs may be put down for a fee of 20eu" :mad:! What -somebody just doesnt need/want a dog and puts him to sleep on a whim???

What a sad world we are living in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

To be fair to the pund its only cleaning up after someone elses mess. They cant keep the dogs. Humanely put down is a better end than dumped in a park and tasered to death.

kmick wrote: »
    To be fair to the pund its only cleaning up after someone elses mess. They cant keep the dogs. Humanely put down is a better end than dumped in a park and tasered to death.

It doesnt change the fact that it's still very sad that often healthy young creatures are beeing killed.
    I was wondering some time ago why i dont see any dogs on the streets in Ireland -now i know.
    (i am not saying that wild stray dogs should be roaming around- just why the hell they dont do something about this mass breeding)
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭crally

just wondering what happed to the dog that this thread began with....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

crally wrote: »
    just wondering what happed to the dog that this thread began with....

Now living in Ballinfoyle with a wife and two kids, where he runs a window cleaning business.

pugscreen.jpg

They could at least make an effort to rehome & promote the idea of taking a Pound dog. It is in their job description. They & the wardens are also supposed to be promoting responsible dog ownership. This is how it should be done:

Wokingham Borough Council’s animal warden is pick of the litter after scooping the prestigious national Dog Warden of the Year 2008 award.

Mandy Dorman, who has worked as the council’s animal warden for nine years, was shocked to discover she had won the most notable trophy in the industry on Monday October 13, as she had no idea her name had been put forward for the National Dog Warden Association’s (NDWA) accolade.

The news of the award was broken to a stunned Mandy via a phone call from the NDWA’s 25th annual awards ceremony in Cheshire.

Mandy, who recently set up the borough’s Dog & Bone text scheme – which is the very first missing pet-text scheme to be launched in the country, and runs the council’s missing dog gallery to reunite lost dogs with their owners, was nominated for the award for her hard work and sheer dedication. The committee and members of NDWA nominated Mandy for the award.

Since taking up the animal warden role Mandy has rescued well over a thousand stray dogs, with the majority being reunited with their owners and the rest being re-homed via animal rescue centres.

It is Mandy’s dedication to reuniting lost pets with their owners, promoting good animal welfare practices and keeping residents and animals in the borough safe that has earned her the recognition of the NDWA.

Mandy said: “It’s a real honour to have won this award as it really is the only top dog warden award around. I’m so pleased that all the hard work that is put in to reuniting stray dogs in the borough with their owners and looking after animal welfare has been recognised – but I’m more shocked than anything as I really didn’t have any idea I was in the running.

“This award highlights just how important it is to have good dog warden practices in place, and this, as much as anything else, is about educating the public about being responsible dog owners and the duties that come with having a pet.”

Cllr Rob Stanton, executive member for corporate services, said: “We’re all extremely proud of Mandy and the tireless effort she puts into her job every day. This award is certainly well deserved as she is a real star of the council.

“Losing a pet can be very distressing but thanks to Mandy and her innovative ideas there’s a great chance that missing dogs will be reunited with their owners in the Wokingham Borough. Also, stray dogs can create mess and frighten people – but Mandy does a great job in catching animals to ensure their welfare and residents’ welfare is not hindered.

“Many congratulations to Mandy on this great award – I hope that she continue to receive the recognition she truly deserves!”

Neil Burton, chairman of the NDWA, said: “Mandy’s continual promotion of the responsible dog ownership initiatives as well as the provision of animal warden service for the benefit of all residents in the Wokingham area combined with her commitment to disseminating information on lost and found dogs in a wider area, set her head and shoulders above the rest of her fellow dog wardens and animal welfare officers within the NDWA. We send our heartfelt congratulations.”

So it is all about finding the right people for the job...

Maja wrote: »
    So it is all about finding the right people for the job...

One warden that I know refers to his job as "collect & kill". It is all down to the local authorities. Most of them list dog pounds in the category of waste which sums up how they feel.

:(
    -and I was thinking that Poland is the most backwarded country in Europe when it comes to animal welfare.
    I am very dissapointed it doesnt look any better here. :(

I would love to know what was done about the dumped dog.

I would be 99.9% certain that it is dead. It will be over it's allocated Pound time & they probably decided that it was aggressive. I know one Pound that refused to hand over a dog to a rescue. They said that it was unsuitable for rehoming because it barked.

We punish the dog & we never punish the owner.

• Advertisement

I meant what was done about his "owner" - bet nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DOTHEDOG

ok update

was back onto the dog pound this morning and it is sad to say the dog was put down this morning also

he also said as far as he was concerned he done his job and it's up to the guards to do the rest..

now that beats the hell out of me,isn't it up to him to bring charges to this bloke,i gave him all the info he needed but was still saying it's up to the guards

jasus this country is ran backwards/is he afraid of this traveler...i think so :mad:

are we allowed to name and shame him on this forum please some mod let us know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Yes

Stupid question stupid answer.

The stats provided by an earlier post around the number of dogs destroyed is telling.
    Hold on there a minute pal, you don't get to make generalisations about an entire country without backing it up. The only thing those stats tell us are that local authority policies are to put dogs down quickly. I appreciate you have a bee in your bonnet about this, and why not, but that still doesn't give you the right to tar a whole country with whatever brush you happen to have in your hand at the moment, there's a name for that sort of behaviour.
    DOTHEDOG wrote: »
    now that beats the hell out of me,isn't it up to him to bring charges to this bloke,i gave him all the info he needed but was still saying it's up to the guards
    My own experiences with the pound are that they don't answer the phone except for an hour in the morning and afternoon, don't check their messages, and don't follow up on calls when you do manage to reach them.

ok update

was back onto the dog pound this morning and it is sad to say the dog was put down this morning also

he also said as far as he was concerned he done his job and it's up to the guards to do the rest..

jasus this country is ran backwards/is he afraid of this traveler...i think so :mad:

Of course it's up to the guards to charge him. The warden can only present them with the evidence and it's up to the guards to decide whether they should investigate or not and if they investigate whether to charge or not.

If you really want to see this man investigated and prosecuted then you should go to the guards yourself. Either the warden already has or has not and if he has, the guards have decided to investigate or not.

If they have not, the best you can hope for is to add to the complaints about this guy, which may help instigate an investigation into him either now, or in the future. As others on here seem to know about this guy and his antics, then they could also do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

ok update

poor dog :(
    I don't think it would be wise to name him here
    hopefully something positive will come of this story and that scumbag will be caught and prosecuted so he won't be able to do this to another poor defenceless animal:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Please don't name individuals that hasn't been named in the papers. I don't know the ins and outs of this case so I will error on the side of caution.

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    Hold on there a minute pal, you don't get to make generalisations about an entire country without backing it up. The only thing those stats tell us are that local authority policies are to put dogs down quickly.

Well I will tar the country - we are a disgrace !. Those figure really tell us that thousands of Irish people get a dog & then decide to get rid of it. Ireland, as a country, has no concept or interest in animal welfare. Of course some people care but we are in a relatively small minority which is why the politicians ignore us. What are Amhran Nua's policies regarding animal welfare ?

The Dog Wardens, Pound Keepers, Local Authorities, SPCA's & Gardai have no interest whatsoever in prosecuting this person for abandonment. After all they have just destroyed the evidence - the dog. This person will be allowed to carry on abusing - rings a bell doesn't it ?.

So, thats it. Dog is killed, the one who did it happy and nobody gives a ..... anymore...
    :mad:

Welcome to Ireland Maja. What happened here is being repeated all over the Country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

It doesn't surprise me at all, as horrific as it is.

My own dog was found abandoned in Co. Leitrim by friends of friends. They tried to find his owners but couldn't - I have a few theories but a 4 month old Labrador is at the height of his teething, and it's possible he was in a family with kids and they didn't know his biteyness was just a stage and that he could be redirected to chew on appropriate things (although he always did prefer our arms, poor baby's teeth were very sore!)

A more gentle, loveable animal you will never find - and he is so intelligent. I absolutely love him with all my heart, and every time I hear about animal cruelty I think about him and it brings tears to my eyes.

This is a photo we took the day after we found out about him:

5330_694901619557_13605750_40984456_7454268_n.jpg

It takes a special kind of evil to abandon something that looks at you like that 10 minutes after meeting you.

Advertisement