Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who the hell dumped that dog

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

he is gorgous xiney. people like that are not deserving of the love and loyalty of an animal who I dare say is more intelligent than most humans!:D
    I just don't understand why people get dogs if they are not prepared to look after them. Plenty of low-maintenance pets. Dogs need plenty of love affection discipline and exercise!
    We have a collie and love him to bits, would be devastated if anything happened to him.
    Anyway back on topic. Do we have a name for this dog?
    Do the dog, keep us informed if anything is done about this

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I am in the same situation with the little guy that I have recently found. I can't fault him. If you were assessing him as the perfect pup he would get about 95%. Yesterday he played with my neighbours children & even though they are not dog people, they could not understand how anyone could of dumped him.

Both Xiney's & mine could of been lost/stolen but we will never know because they had no collars or microchips. I wonder if the reluctance to tag or chip is because, somewhere deep down, the owner does not want to take responsibility or be held accountable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Discodog wrote: »
    I am in the same situation with the little guy that I have recently found. I can't fault him. If you were assessing him as the perfect pup he would get about 95%. Yesterday he played with my neighbours children & even though they are not dog people, they could not understand how anyone could of dumped him.

Both Xiney's & mine could of been lost/stolen but we will never know because they had no collars or microchips. I wonder if the reluctance to tag or chip is because, somewhere deep down, the owner does not want to take responsibility or be held accountable.

I know someone who has dogs all his life and has this dog 8years, dog has a collar but no tag with name or number because he said that if he was ever stolen the scumbags would be ringing him up saying "I have your dog we want €x and we'll give it back"

I can see his point but not sure what I think! My dog has his name and 2numbers on it.
    Then I've heard stories of dogs been stolen and the microchip is ripped out of them:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

It's best to put a tag on them, it's a legal obligation for one.

I think that the amount of honest people that would call the number if they found the dog would be much more than those looking for a ransom!

I have heard of dogs being stolen, but I have not heard of a ransom being demanded. It is sick to think this is going on, but there is a lot of scum out there.

I have never heard of a chip being removed. It would be very difficult without an x-ray to locate it. He may claim that a ransom is the reason but I seriously doubt it - I have never heard of anyone being approached for a ransom.

Mine have a very large white tag. It reads "Please phone ********* immediately. This dog is neutered & microchipped. Please Scan"

On a lighter note the following tag is a sample on a retailers website. I am glad that is not on my dog :eek:

POCT2_m.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

NO! That's not fair on all dog-owners Discodog! Regular Vet Bills, food, and supplies, and equipment and toys have to be paid for too. While I have no clue as to why this issue of "dogs being dumped" seems to have cropped up a couple of times now, and why anyone would do this. I would say get a collar yes, but lack of micro-chip in some cases could be because of the assumed cost of this? and lack of finances, but certainly NOT that the Owner does not want to take responsibility or be held accountable. If an Owner gives their dog their time, love, affection, and attention, and care for him/her. How can you say they don't want to take responsibility for them or be held accountable ????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

5330_694901619557_13605750_40984456_7454268_n.jpg

"I was hiding under your porch because I love you!"

NO! That's not fair on all dog-owners Discodog! Regular Vet Bills, food, and supplies, and equipment and toys have to be paid for too. While I have no clue as to why this issue of "dogs being dumped" seems to have cropped up a couple of times now, and why anyone would do this. I would say get a collar yes, but lack of micro-chip in some cases could be because of the assumed cost of this? and lack of finances, but certainly NOT that the Owner does not want to take responsibility or be held accountable. If an Owner gives their dog their time, love, affection, and attention, and care for him/her. How can you say they don't want to take responsibility for them or be held accountable ????

A dog will live for say 15 years & a chip is about €30 so it's about €2 per year. Cost is not a factor. If someone can't afford €30 then how will they pay all the other costs associated with a dog. A chip guarantees that the dog will not die in the Pound or be re-homed by a well meaning rescue. A tag confirming that they dog is chipped & neutered will greatly reduce the risk of it being stolen. Most of all a chip will hugely increase the chances of finding your lost pet - all for €30.

Your if is a very big if. Thousands of owners do not give their dog time & affection. They tie it up by a kennel or let it roam. They think that walking it on a Sunday, providing it's sunny, constitutes exercise. These people do not even bother with a collar. A tag or chip identifies you as accountable for the actions of your dog. I am certain that people avoid tags & chips for that reason. Vets & dog wardens that I have spoken to agree with me. A tag is also a legal requirement - not that this means anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Tag for Ireland mate if you so wish! Just don't go around stating "willy-nilly," that Dog-Owners don't want to take responsibility or be held accountable for their pets. It's not that way with all Dog-Owners. If you're so well-worded on the legalities of things, maybe take care with how you word sentences too. I find that rather offensive.

Oh and there's no need to have such an immature attitude; - "Walking it on a Sunday," etc. Not sure of your level of knowledge on dogs, but there is more involved!:rolleyes:

EDIT: Personally I would have gone for putting any money into their Vet's fees and Food etc. prioritising those things as most important, under the notion that maybe the micro-chip wasn't as important with the old adage that my dog won't run away it's not gonna happen to me. I reckon there are a few out there of this same view but certainly not that they don't want to be held accountable for their dog's activities etc., as you've suggested .....

Going forward I know times are changing and people with it, and micro-chipping is now in much more wide-spread use than it would have been in the past because of its' product growth and development etc.

Just don't tar all Dog-Owners with the same brush which you've gone and done twice now lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Maja

Tag for Ireland mate if you so wish! Just don't go around stating "willy-nilly," that Dog-Owners don't want to take responsibility or be held accountable for their pets. It's not that way with all Dog-Owners. If you're so well-worded on the legalities of things, maybe take care with how you word sentences too. I find that rather offensive.

Oh and there's no need to have such an immature attitude; - "Walking it on a Sunday," etc. Not sure of your level of knowledge on dogs, but there is more involved!:rolleyes:

EDIT: Personally I would have gone for putting any money into their Vet's fees and Food etc. prioritising those things as most important, under the notion that maybe the micro-chip wasn't as important with the old adage that my dog won't run away it's not gonna happen to me. I reckon there are a few out there of this same view but certainly not that they don't want to be held accountable for their dog's activities etc., as you've suggested .....

Going forward I know times are changing and people with it, and micro-chipping is now in much more wide-spread use than it would have been in the past because of its' product growth and development etc.

Just don't tar all Dog-Owners with the same brush which you've gone and done twice now lol!

:eek: Jeeezes, why is this upsetting you soooooo much? Stupid microchip is only 30eu once in a dogs life time! I wasnt so sure about it either, but it helps to control them and every dog can get lost sometime and even can loose his tag, so this is just to make it easy to find the owner!
    If Discodog, wasnt saying anything what applies to you, why you get offended? Its hard to talk about something like it without some generalization.

• Advertisement

No I haven't. I have tarred the irresponsible dog owners & that includes the one's who won't microchip. If the truth offends you.... tough !. Ireland has very low microchip rates & together with the lack of tags it means that 16,000 dogs per year die, even if they have owners.

The guys that dumped this dog would not of been so keen to do so had it been chipped. Chipping has been around for ages - nothing about product development, just common sense. Microchips are mandatory in many countries & should be here.

The walking on a Sunday reference was lost on you. People who care about dogs know all about the poor dog who only gets a walk when the owner decides to take one. Any Sunday you will see loads of dogs out that you never see during the week.

You ignore the fact that my comments, regarding owners not wanting to take responsibility, are backed up by those who have to deal with unwanted dogs. If a dog is tagged the dog warden can fine the owner if the dog strays. No tag, no fine, no responsibility.

When Ireland's killing (16,000) reduces to say Scottish levels (800) then I will tar Ireland's dog owners as responsible - it won't be in my lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I have never heard of a chip being removed. It would be very difficult without an x-ray to locate it.

It happened with a dog that was found wandering in Strandhill, Sligo. The scar where it was removed was located and everything.

Here is the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

The walking on a Sunday reference was lost on you. People who care about dogs know all about the poor dog who only gets a walk when the owner decides to take one. Any Sunday you will see loads of dogs out that you never see during the week.

You are so right!!!

BTW Both my dogs (cross-breeds) are microchipped and registered with fido. The vet commented on the fact that its fairly unusual for mongrels to be chipped.

CC

Xiney wrote: »
    It happened with a dog that was found wandering in Strandhill, Sligo. The scar where it was removed was located and everything.

Here is the thread.

I remember hearing about the dog but I didn't know about the chip. A scanner won't pinpoint a chip so it would of needed an x-ray & Vet assistance unless someone got lucky & could feel it under the skin. My "baby" was chipped last week & I know where the chip went. I have just had a good feel & I can't feel it.

No system is ever going to 100% but a chip gets pretty close. The real worry is that some Pounds were & may still be not be checking for chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Rylan

Anyone know anywhre online that i can get a tag done up for my dog.

These are the best. I use the large white plastic ones. They last forever & remain easy to read.

The postage charge to Ireland is £1 for 4 tags - I just ordered some more.

http://www.identitag.co.uk/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Maja

DOTHEDOG wrote: »
    by the time i am finished it will be his last

Looks like it wont... :(

Advertisement