Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is everyone generally gone selfish??

• 30-08-2010 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

lately ive noticed "people in general" has gone selfish an dont seem to care about others, like community days were have they gone too :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

I find Ireland doesn't have a sense of community overall in general anymore, unless you're talking about places in the backarse of nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Wouldn't call it selfish. In the current climate I would regard it more as safekeeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 janlu

there no sense of care for others or safety anymore.
    its like everyone is out for there own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Isnt that the way it has always been in most areas? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

janlu wrote: »
    lately ive noticed "people in general" has gone selfish an dont seem to care about others, like community days were have they gone too :confused:

if you feel passionately about it why don't you go out and organise things in your area instead of ranting on the internet, seems pointless :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

5 star thread

would fap again

• Registered Users Posts: 8 janlu

With the current climate were in ud think people would be out to help each other an there community it would also give them something to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

lately ive noticed "people in general" has gone selfish

Cockles and mussels, alive, alive-O

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

done last week....and probably the week before that....

thread FAIL

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

mikom wrote: »
    Cockles and mussels, alive, alive-O

Not sell fish...

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't think the cities ever had much of a "community" feel.
    That's for villages and some estates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Never heard of a community day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Yes, we're about to face a double dip recession, a depression, and possibly bank rupracy when the government has to commit to their promise of guaranteeing everyones savings

It’s ever man woman child and their dog for them self.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I've always been selfish so it's business as usual at Casa De AnonoBoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Human beings are selfish in general. Our whole society structure rewards selfishness and relies on it.

The more potential to make money there is, or the more used to having it people are the more selfish they become. This probably explains our lack of community now vs the olden days. I was born in 85 so can't really compare properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I'm so selfish I'm not even going to share my thoughts on this matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MrSir

With so many simple grammar and spelling mistakes in such a short sentence I wouldn't want to join a community with you. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

MrSir wrote: »
    With so many simple grammar and spelling mistakes in such a short sentence I wouldn't want to join a community with you. :D

You would probably prefer the community of the 3rd Reich, where all the grammar Nazis hang out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

In Ye Olden Days in Ireland, families were much larger and resourses were shared between many more people. This had the effect of forcing siblings to consider one another for the greater good, a habit that would have extended into the wider community.

Communities were more in touch with one another as a by product of greater adherence to social convention, like the attending of weekly Mass which I think was probably more to do with a greater awareness of the 'norm', and greater consequences to appearing outside that norm than religious faith..

These days there are much smaller families that share much larger homes by comparison to previous generations. Resourses are concentrated on fewer people and kids generally have more stuff. The delay in gratification that older people experienced is greatly reduced and it fosters a sense of entitlement, personal priority, and that amounts to selfishness.

In the community in a wider sense there are much fewer consequences to being different, the disapproval of the Church is of far lesser importance, the opinion of neighbours you don't know doesn't matter, and while this gives us all much greater personal freedom, it doesn't foster a community feeling.

We've gained more than lost, overall imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

I dont understand. What are people being selfish about? Have you been asking people for money or something

• Advertisement
Advertisement