Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galaxy S connection mode

Options
  • 30-08-2010 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

I'm trying to export my old phonebook on to a new Galaxy S. I have it in New PC Studio but the connection mode it insists on is PC Studio mode. This mode isn't available on my Galaxy - in USB settings I have Samsung Kies, Media Player, Mass Storage and PC Internet. As MTP I can copy in media files no problem but the phonebook is unavailable.

Am I missing something simple?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Samsung software is painful, you're better off (long-term) setting up your Google contacts and syncing with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Ah that's a pita. Gmail has stored everyone I've ever received a mail from or sent one too. I don't want all that on my phone. I might just print out the csv file and type them all in manually :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

You can weed out the gmail contacts without too much hassle, and it is worth the effort IMHO, as it will store all of your contacts regardless of what SIM, phone (Android) or even PC you use.

Just imported the CSV into gmail and it's all over the place. I might just sit down tonight and work through gmail contact as you said. I just noticed that there's an option to only list contacts with phone numbers. That should work. If I do it once it's done forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Once you've organized your gmail contacts you'll find its pretty awesome. Its great for doing simple things like adding addresses. That way you can navigate to a contact (using Google Maps Navigation), which is far easier than typing the address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

In the galaxy s phone book you can select only to show contacts that have a phone number. That way the extra ones wont bother you.
    If you want to email someone who's phone number you dont have just start typing thier name in the to field in the gmail app and they'll show up.

Syncing with google contacts is by far the easiest. If you update and loose data they all come back in seconds. Its the way to go

ok ok I'm sold :D

Thanks guys - I'll sort out the mess that is my gmail contacts list tonight.

And done. What a pain in the ass sorting out that mess. But it's done. I'll sort out groups later on but all my contacts are now in gmail. I can already see the advantages in having a consolidated contacts list. One contact - with phone, email and spares in the one listing.

I'll be taking a regular offline backup tho - call me paranoid if you like. I just don't like having all eggs in one basket without security.

Advertisement