Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2011 Plan

• 30-08-2010 2:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭

So in order to do anything next year I ll need a concrete plan. The goals are:

The Marmotte (still on maybe status) is the biggest goal , and the second goal is to race on a club league.

To achieve this I have to break it down in multiple pieces:

1) HTFU
    2) Lose a stone until July 2011. I know i am slim, but not climbing slim. Of course that must happen without losing muscles, and at the moment I have no clue as of how I am going to do that; I have never tried to lose weight!
    3) Lose the 5mm spacer under the stem.
    4) HTFU and accept the pain.
    5) Go to yoga/pilates twice a week (need to find a place)
    6) Swim 30mins twice a week (need to find a pool only)
    7) Come up with a proper cycling plan, currently reading the Joe Friel's Bible.
    8) Fix my diet, I am eating so much junk food at the moment. Again no clue of how I am going to do it, I hate everything green :o
    9) HTFU

I don't mind cycling in the cold/rain/wind, it's the ice I am afraid of, but we have few months ahead of us for this to come. I am going to holidays two weeks in end of September so the training plan will start mid October.

I will be updating this thread when I have more information of how and what I am going to do. Any help and feedback is greatly welcomed and appreciated.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

My suggestion is simple - HTFU:D

However, trying to be a bit more constructive:

2 & 8 should hopefully go hand in hand, and hopefully 5 & 6 will contribute to the weight loss goal. What's your current weight/BMI? I know you're tall, and it may not be practicable to lose so much weight, without materially compromising your power output

On 3, why do you think you need to lose the spacer? have you had a bike-fit done - you may find you already have the bars at the right height.

1, 4 & 9 go without saying:D

That only leaves 7, and that one's over to you and Joe....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Astra. Firstly best of luck.
    To my minds eye you seem pretty thin, now maybe its your height. But if I am correct then seek some professional advice on weight loss. Maybe get your body fat checked.

Only reason I bring it up is that while doing the TDM I got speaking to a lad who has raced for a long time, and he was saying that there is way too much emphasis in irish racing on weight and not enough on power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

ROK ON wrote: »
    Astra. Firstly best of luck.
    To my minds eye you seem pretty thin, now maybe its your height. But if I am correct then seek some professional advice on weight loss. Maybe get your body fat checked.

Only reason I bring it up is that while doing the TDM I got speaking to a lad who has raced for a long time, and he was saying that there is way too much emphasis in irish racing on weight and not enough on power.

way too many people have the goal of losing weight just for the sake of it. I think the only realistic guide is a bodyfat estimation.
    Do you need to do both pilates and swimming? Great if youve got time but not very specific to your goals.

Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Thank you for your comments, keep em coming!

Height 1.89 and current weight 79.5 kgs (the fattest I 've ever been) and BMI 22.2. Last year I was 73-74 and I could climb much better. Of course we have to take in account that I didn't do much this year. Last year I had BF of 8% at the end of September, now I am around 14%. Not huge of difference but the extra weight is easily noticeable going uphill. So losing a stone would probably get me where I was. Of course I might be wrong here and need to deal with the extra weight in a different manner, eg turn into muscles somehow. The last thing I 'd like is to actually lose power.

As for the spacer when I did the bike fitting last year I had the stem lifted upwards and had an extra 3mm spacer. The guy told me to work my flexibility and start by turning the stem around and removing the second spacer for a more aero position. This goal has been achieved, so removing the extra 5mm would give even a more aggressive position. But that leads us to..

... pilates and swimming is to help out with my flexibility which is really bad. I plan to swim twice a week before going to work and have two classes of either yoga,pilates two evenings a week for half an hour each after work. That way I ll keep this workout as less noticeable as possible (to myself and the OH..).

I have trouble finding pools outside a gym, I don't want to fork out a big amount of money to a gym that I am only going to use the pool twice a week. Any recommendations for a pool in south dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Astra - I don't think you need to do much about your weight. You're already quite light for your height, and any extra will melt off if you train for power without you needing to count the calories. A cleaner diet, without too much (or any) processed junk is obviously better though.

I also don't think you should be too worried about the spacers under your stem - just concentrate on building core flexibility and strength so you can ride hard with your elbows in and down. I did notice that you are very high on the bike in the TT and that your arms are nearly dead straight. If you lower your stem before you've broken that habit you'll just make it worse.

If you want to hang in the bunch you will be fine, if you want to go off the front of be able to move up for the sprint you'll need more power, so concentrate on building power rather than losing weight. That'll make you climb faster and be better on the flat. If you drop a couple of kg but also add some watts you'll be a better cyclist than simply starving in the hope of becoming a climber.

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Mosiki

Your weight is certainly not a concern for climbing imo, it will find its own equilibrium. I would concentrate on strength/endurance/power - for which you will need energy/fuel, hence eat proper diet. (some junk included is fine, but predominantly junk makes you lazy minded, lethargic and constantly tired and demotivated).

Thanks Tom/Mosiki, definitely makes sense.

Fixing the diet will be an issue, I don't know how to eat properly-healthy and the worst thing is that I 've never learned to eat properly.. so most of the vegs and healthy stuff don't really appeal to me.

I am planning to build the core strength through swimming and yoga/pilates..

It's gonna be a looong hard winter :)

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Fixing the diet will be an issue, I don't know how to eat properly-healthy and the worst thing is that I 've never learned to eat properly.. so most of the vegs and healthy stuff don't really appeal to me.

Seriously man, its not that difficult.
    Some ideas that are simple.
    (1) Veg Curry with chickpeas, cauliflower and sweet potato. (I will send you simple recipe if you want.
    (2) Salads - so many and dont have to be boring. Roast a red pepper and some asparagus. Toss in with some lettuce or spinach leaves. Mix with a dressing. I like sharp dressings. Plenty of vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic and a little oil to bind. Also try fresh lemon, lime or orange juice.
    A nice way to get protein and salad is a simple and pungent thai beef salad - takes 15 mins to prepare and 5 to eat. Fantatsic fast food.
    Finally I dont know anyone who doesnt have a sweet food and doesnt like fruit.

Most people dont eat healthily because of laziness, not because the food isnt nice. I should know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Thanks Tom/Mosiki, definitely makes sense.

I am planning to build the core strength through swimming and yoga/pilates..

It's gonna be a looong hard winter :)
    Astra
    I would have echoed this up to 5 years ago(45 now) .If I can change anyone can. I lived on meat, a few spuds, bread and Sweets(3or4mars/snickers a day,Coke and icecream).
    I never wanted any greens/veg etc. Now I grow my own. Rice/Pasta/Noodles where things I did not know how to cook. And checking the food values on packets was totally alien.
    Good luck with your plan

• Advertisement

I cook half the days of the week myself, mostly meat and pasta though but I have a wide range of recipes to choose. Even if I cook with vegetables inside, I just leave them on the side of the plate... The thing is that I love mars bars, buenos, crips (ALL freaking kind of them), ice creams, jellies.. and mostly anything that is bad for you. I know I can reduce them, but I have to find the healthy equivalent which might be hard..

Esroh it would be interesting to know what made you took the decision to stop eating all this junk (if there is any other apart of the obvious that they are bad for the health) and with what healthier choices you exchanged those?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

The Markievicz pool in the city centre is €6 pay as you go. It can be busy though so in my experience try to go at 9-10am or 2-3pm or later in the evening. If you have a real job this may be tricky.

I do love to swim, but I don't think it will help your cycling, if that is your sole aim.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

It took me a few years to get to where I am now. This year would definitely be my healthiest and thats probably down to being more interested in how to get the best out of myself.
    I let myself get very run down a couple of times in the last few years while training and the common denominator seemed to be my food intake rather than the level of training.

So I had to consciously make an effort to eat better. Also I gave myself an added incentive when I realised how much I spent on the 'Goodies' and started to put some of it away. I get a Ski Hol now without to much hassle each year;)

I do love to swim, but I don't think it will help your cycling, if that is your sole aim.....

It's just for core strengthening, the physio had it quite high in his list of recommendations for people with really poor flexibility and core.

Thanks a lot Esroh.

ROK ON I will be waiting the recipes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

The location you mentioned for the yoga classes is ideal. The forty foot is only down the road. A quick swim down there will toughen you up.
    So that's points 1,4,5,6+9 sorted.:)

The location you mentioned for the yoga classes is ideal. The forty foot is only down the road. A quick swim down there will toughen you up.
    So that's points 1,4,5,6+9 sorted.:)
    I can only get in the Irish sea wearing a dry suit :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Astra, trying to fit in swimming & yoga along with a proper cycling training plan will drive you crazy.

For flexibility do this & this once a day ( twice if you can ) after every cycle or a quick warm up if you're on an 'off' day, yeah I know yer wans video is old and cheap but actually is a very good routine.

For core strength get this Absolutely crap video quality BUT FANTASTIC work out, no need for a gym either. Do this twice a week. once on your off day and the other on your easy day.

Diet, well just quit eating sh1t and stay away from foods labeled 'low fat' or 'diet'. Get yourself on to fruit and try a little veg, you'll get into it pretty quickly. Plenty of carb & lean meats/fish. I used to have a Red Bull, pack of Taytos and a Twirl twice a day for a sugar fix !! Swapped it for a Yop, a Banana
    and a water, I'd probably throw up if I had my old fix now !

The PLAN !!! Buy Friels ' The Cyclists Training Bible ' , dont borrow it as there is waaaaaaaay too much in it for a quick read. Read it a couple of times and do the tests ( with a power meter if you can ), and then make a plan and stick to it. Probably a bit old school in places, eg I'd swap the gym weights workouts for the Matt Brindle workout, but mostly it is pretty much spot on and invaluable for allocating the hours you realistically have to train.

Get a turbo trainer, just a basic one, you'll need consistancy for some workouts, and you'll also have ZERO excuses for not training if we get another winter like last years.

Beg, borrow, steal or rent a powermeter if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

Astra,
    bit tip I had for losing weight was to select one really bad thing you do food wise (in my case it was some crappy afternoon food at work to counteract the sugar rush) and then substitute it for something good -- in my case an apple.

Once your used to this you can move to the next one.... its not a case of eating less, necessarily, but eating better.

Scott

(P.s. thats my tip from last year.... this year has been a lot less active but I'm not eating sugar still in the afternoon)

Murph100 wrote: »
    Beg, borrow, steal or rent a powermeter if you can.

Great advice. I'll borrow your one then:D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

You'll have a job ... its gone back to http://www.cyclepowermeters.com/ :D

Was really hoping Metrigear would have something out before Dec, but looks unlikely, and if they have gone with Look / Polar it could be Dec 2011. :(

ROK ON wrote: »
    Great advice. I'll borrow your one then:D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

It's just for core strengthening, the physio had it quite high in his list of recommendations for people with really poor flexibility and core.

That's very interesting to know. I love swimming but always wonder if it's of any value really.

With a bit of shame but with my first race done I thought I 'd give this a small update.

To answer first the bullet points on the original post.. I lost a bit of weight, not much, a couple of kilos but most of the extra weight has become muscles as it seems, so I think I gained a bit of power out of it.
    I didn't lose the 5mm spacer but I think I got a much better position now on the bike, not standing that high as I used to be, or at least i think that way.
    I went to a session of yoga, but then the big break came and I never went back again, I hope to start next week, I actually enjoyed that one session (I was at the end of the room... :rolleyes: ).
    No swimming at all unfortunately.
    Cycling plan to follow..
    And the first of the two major points. I 've cut off so most of the junk jood and I am so happy. No crips, mars bars, burgers and all of these sh1te. I eat properly, including vegs and salads but I need to eat more fruits.
    And last.. I didn't make any comments about the HTFU ones as you saw and the only reason is because I made peace with myself on that matter by following something simple. I cycle because I enjoy it. Suffering is part of cycling. Embrace the suffering makes the cycling all the more enjoyable!

Now, the winter plan didn't go that well as I spent 2 and half months away from my bike due to work and family issues. The last two months I 've been going out 3 times a week, 40-50k on the weekdays and a longer 100k+ on the weekend. Some of the 40-50k are hill repeats and some are a bit of interval work, go up the hill for 5mins as fast as you can, roll down, relax for 5mins, repeat. It's actually enjoyable but as the repeats grow the stomach turns upside down as well.

I did the Slieve bloom challenge two Sundays ago, I felt awesome the first 110k and flew up (kinda) the hills.
    Last Thursday I had my first race and I loved every bit of it, the responsibility you have towards your teammates when you are in front, the pumping of the heart at the end of the hill and most of all the great feeling of speed.

Now all is good and I want to keep training for more but unfortunately I picked up a very bad groin strain/pull on that Slieve bloom challenge, I rested it off, went for a gentle cycle on Wed, felt kinda of ok, raced on Thursday, felt fantastic while racing and got a sheer pain when the muscles got cold. Now I have been resting it till today that I tried to go out again. I was feeling fine until the time I reached the bottom of the hill and start pushing, the pain was immediate and I just turned around did a flat 30k and came back home in pain. I am going to visit a physio tomorrow as the Voltarol cream I am putting on it doesn't seem to help.

Anyway, I want a bit of a comment on this (lap2), I was trying some new aerobars that I got and went off to N11 for a TT effort. How is the time/speed for that distance/terrain?

Haven't done much after the race. Did a 30k and a 70k spin but the pain in the leg was still there so decided to go to physio yesterday.
    What I thought it was a groin strain it really is a hip flexor problem. It was very interesting what he told me, although I already knew some of it. My flexibility sucks, but it sucks so much that I cycle the wrong "way". The physio told me that the vast majority of cyclists are using their hips to deliver the power while I am working different muscles, mainly front leg muscles in that extend that I am injuring them. I think he said that I suck, but in more medical terms.

I got lots of homework to do, first of all exercises for the hip flexor pain to go away, and then to strengthen the glutes so I can use them more. The other interesting part he said, is that I really have to focus while cycling and use my hips more.

I am still planning to race on Thursday, i 'll see how it goes. I want to do the MB160 on Sunday too, but I am a bit unsure I ll get through it with the pain..

Bottom line, injuries suck! Bad flexiblity sucks even more.

Haven't done absolutely anything the last 3 weeks apart from stretches which is annoying as feck. I 've been exactly in the same position as before I started with the physio, the injury doesn't seem to be going away and it's frustrating. I went for a spin on Tuesday, did 25kms felt amazing and the pain started.

I haven't been on any hills in the last 6 weeks now and I had to miss yesterday's race as well. :mad::mad::mad: I really want to do the sally gap race in two weeks, we ll see I guess :)

At least I have the new bike build to keep my mind into place... might do a build log for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Injuries require time and patience, so dont rush back for 2 weeks time as you ll only end up missing half the summer. Trust me I know from experience!!

Did the physio give a diagnosis? Has it improved at all? At this stage you should be seeing the benefit from these sessions so if you havent confidence in what they are doing and telling you i'd consider changing. I think its really important to have a trusting relationship with your physio.

Well I might have spoken a bit too early.

The physio is grand, he is a cyclist himself so he knows how things work and what it needs to be done, it's my impatience to deal with the whole lot of issues.

Anyway, yesterday I went out for a spin and did with mvt, taxman and brian a lovely route, in total I had 142kms when I got back home, I just couldn't stay home at a day like that. I followed physios advice and stayed always on the big ring with very low cadence so my hips/butt muscles workout more than my hip flexors. It was quite a pain going up Johnny Fox's, Glencree, Sallygap, Glenmalure on the big ring but I was feeling fantastic and I was powering all the way. Reached Sally gap and descended great down to Larragh still going very well, short stop there to refill bottles and up to Glenmalure still on the big ring again. Situation changed dramatically on the way up to Slieve mann though, I got dizzy and I wanted to throw up, my heart rate fell immediately and any effort to push my self was greeted with denial, so onto the small ring crawling my way up. We stopped for a bit up there but I was feeling sick and went on my own back to Larragh the same way. I had to stop on the way up to Shay Elliot to throw up as I was feeling awful but made it to the hippy cafe, had a nice soup a bit of bread and relaxed. Didn't take long to figure out what have happened, the bars I was eating all day have expired a month ago and probably the combination of heat didn't help either. Stayed for a bit more to Laragh and then just slowly crawled home through the easy way.

Following physios advice got me through the day fine, with only a bit of nudging of my injury but it sure made the climbs more painful. I hope we have many more days like these left in this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

142kms!! Thank god I turned back when I did. You certainly had the legs on everyone on the climbs. That dead leg feeling came back on the climb upto Kippure so that's when I bailed. Hope that Clif shot blok you had didn't contribute to your stomach issues. :p

lol no, the cliff shots were just not my taste :p

Did quick and easy 40k today, legs felt a bit heavy but the injury seems to be going away slowly. I ll see how it goes until Thursday and I ll probably try the race.

Advertisement