Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mother naked with a child.

Options
  • 30-08-2010 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

How old is too old for a child to see their mother naked? For example, taking baths together, changing in front of the child, etc. Saw a discussion on this on a different website, just wanted to see what people think here. Thanks.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

My mother has never had any qualms about being naked in front of us. One time I walked into the bathroom and she was standing on a stool naked cleaning the ceiling - apparently she noticed some mildew when she was in the shower, and just had to clean it right then and there (I'd never post this in AH, cos I know I'd get a 'Pics or GTFO)
    It annoys the crap out of me - what if I'd brought a friend home unannounced, and they'd walked in on her? She just rolls her eyes and calls me a prude

Anyway, I just realised that didn't really answer your question. In terms of how old is too old for a child to see their mother naked, I think it really depends on the family and their dynamics. I know in my family anyway, my mum doesn't care if we see her naked. It's just skin. If anything, it was the other way around - when I started to get a bit older, hitting puberty etc, I didn't want my mother to see ME naked. I don't think my mum has seen me naked since I was able to shower myself.

[EDIT] The remark about After Hours was just a throwaway comment, I didn't want to derail this thread into off-topicness. Sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

When they start getting uncomfortable about seeing me or me seeing them, then it's time. I haven't ever bathed with them but getting changed or them sitting watching me shower is fairly common-place at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭rorymcgrory

What is GTFO?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

What is GTFO?
    Get The F*ck Out....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

When the child chooses not to due feeling embrasses.
    While modesty is important, nudity isn't a big issue in our home.
    Not that any of us sit around naked but being seen walking form the bed room to the bath room isn't a bit deal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lil_missy

When I was growing up, my mom was the same. She didn't care to cover up infront of me and my sisters. In front of my brothers, it was different story of course. But as far as I remember, she took baths with my youngest brother until he was about 4.

I have a friend who is a guy, and his mother was a bodybuilder. She walked around the house nude until he was 12 or something until she started covering up. I think that age is a bit too far. I'd say boys might get curious about sexuality at an earlier age than 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭rorymcgrory

kmart6 wrote: »
    Get The F*ck Out....rolleyes

Why would anyone want to see pics of a naked mother and child?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Why would anyone want to see pics of a naked mother and child?
    Tell ya what search Google and you might begin to understand it!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

What is GTFO?
    It stands for 'Get the f*ck out'. Basically, if some of the posters in AH realise that I am female, or I say something about another female, they respond with 'Pics or GTFO'. It is tiresome to say the least. Anyway, that was just an aside, I don't want to turn this thread into AH-bashing.

Anyway, I think what Ickle Magoo says is probably right. It depends on the family, but I think as children get older they get more aware of things like nudity that wouldn't have bothered them when they were younger. If it makes them uncomfortable, it is time to stop (unless you're my mother of course :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Ok different forums have different standards for discourse and discussion, lets not let this thread become derailed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

My little fella is 8 and is only now starting to cover up and wanting to shower himself - I'd still walk from the bedroom to the shower without a towel, but as he wants to start covering himself up, I think I'll be more discreet myself.
    Nudity isn't a big issue in our house either. I've never taken a bath with him though...when the child starts to feel uncomfortable, that's when it's time to slowly cover up IMO, without turning it into a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Yesterday, our four-year old suggested we 'buy Daddy pajamas for his birthday'. A subtle hint if ever I heard one! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Does it make a difference whether the parent is same or different gender to the child?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lil_missy

Does it make a difference whether the parent is same or different gender to the child?

I think it makes all the difference. Boys shouldn't see their mom naked after a certain age. Girls seeing their mom naked wouldn't be as big of a deal. I didn't care seeing my mom naked when I was growing up. But I wouldn't have been comfortable seeing my dad naked after passing a certain age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I was brought up in a fairly prudish house. I can't ever remember seeing my mum or dad naked, beyond vague memories of shared baths. I'm much more relaxed about it myself and would hope that my kids will grow up knowing what the opposite sex's bits look like and feeling that the naked body is a natural thing rather than a shameful or purely sexual thing. The Swedes, Germans etc have that attitude and I think it's much healthier. Not that we will all be sitting in our skins round the breakfast table or anything, but there certainly will be no flustered fumbling under towels when getting dressed after a shower etc. I don't know if their dad will feel quite so uninhibited, but as their mum I feel they'll have seen my insides, no harm in them seeing the outside bits too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

Thaedydal wrote: »
    modesty is important, nudity isn't a big issue in our home

Perfectly put. It was a fine line trying to teach my daughter about modesty while trying to avoid any implications of shame related to nudity. I think we did well but she's a lot more private now that she's a teenager, which is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

My daughter is nearly 8 and sees me naked regularly. It doesn't bother her but if it did, then I'd be more careful. I wouldn't answer the door naked and I don't strip off as soon as I walk into the house but I would go from bathroom to bedroom naked and I sleep in the nip too so she sees me in that context.

She covers up in front of her dad or her friends but she's comfortable in front of me.
    As soon as she isn't I'll wear a robe. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ynul31f47k6b59

My boy is almost 6, and there's never been an issue with nudity in our house - he has often seen myself or his Dad naked in the bathroom. I don't purposely prance round in front of him, but if he happened to catch me in the bathroom, I wouldn't feel as if I'd done something wrong. (His only comment was "where's your willy?")

HOWEVER; I clearly remember being around 13 and seeing my mother naked in the hall one night, and she stopped for a full-blown conversation. That image is burned into my brain, and I definitely don't want to do that to my son. I think it's important not to make an issue out of it, but to just be a little more careful as the child gets older. Aged 5/6 - blah. Aged 13 - NOOOO.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭AvaKinder

I'm 24 and my mother still has no qualms about me seeing her naked but I'm not at all the same. She has no problem walking from bedroom to bathroom nude or me going into her room and chatting away while she's in bed/getting dressed. Although she'd never go downstairs without clothes on, or at least a towel/dressing gown. But I'm the fairly opposite, would feel shy even in underwear if she walked into my room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

It is a thin line between showing children that the human body is a beautiful thing and they shouldn't be ashamed of it, and also having respect for themselves.
    My father was a complete prude, my mother the complete opposite. She had the opinion that it was her house and if we were uncomfortable then we could leave the room.
    I don't agree that seeing your mother naked if your a boy has anything to do with being sexual, unless there is already some weird dynamic. If you ask my brothers(and i have) they will tell you it was just as embarrassing seeing her naked as it was being with her when she burst into song in public:rolleyes: If anything it desensitised them to naked women.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

How old is too old? When you start to look all wrinkly and disgusting.

Seriously though, I don't know why nudity is such a big deal.

I guess it all depends on the childs environment. If raised in a home where it is 'normal' for the child to see you naked, then it's no big deal to them, even up into their teenage years. If the child has been raised in a very prudish home, then it can be quite shocking/traumatic/shameful for them. It's all about the childs 'regular' environment. Damage only occurs when something extremely outside the 'norm' occurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

My home was quite prudish as regards nudity and as a result I clearly remember being totally shocked at age 10ish in the changing room of Rainbow Rapids when I caught sight of a fully naked adult female. I agree with the concept of modesty being the crucial idea, and nudity not being considered a big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 pm25

ah stop, this has made me laugh so much, from the "wheres your willY" comment to the Naked mom cleaning mildew...such a mam thing to do!:D

Love it. I have 2 baby girls, i often bath with them, think its lovely. The hubbie calls it creepy bath night! He sometimes showers with the 2 year old but he wears shorts and he avoids really being naked unless he is getting dressed after a shower or something. But with mams and daughters i think its grand...if anything they just get mortified as they get older.....:D

My daughter is 6, I regularly shower with her, would never hide my bits from her. My husband thought doesn't like her seeing him fully naked so she doesn't. That's his choice and that's cool with me.

As soon as she's uncomfortable with me being naked in front of her then I'll stop.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I was thinking of starting this thread a few weeks ago. I sleep naked and usually give the baby his first bottle without getting dressed. My husband was wondering when it wouldn't be appropriate anymore. We're both from quite prudish households but don't want our son to be raised that way. We basically came to the conclusion that seems to be the consensus here. When he's uncomfortable with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I tghink gender has everything to do with it! Girls can see how they will develop in there mum, but boys there is alot to be considered. I have tattoos and when my little man sees me coming into the bedroom (we share) he immediately wants to see them and touch them, which is grand as they are nowhere inappropriate, but he pulls off my towel to get to them! He's only 18 months, but age 2 will be the end of that!

I know this might seem young but the reason I have for this, is after studying child psychology in college, which states that between the ages of 3-5years boys become obsessed with the genitalia (I personally think this is a life long thing however) boys who see that their father have the same genitalia as them but notice their mother does not can become respect their father as they are usually seen as the head of the household by children, and lose respect for their mother as she is clearly missing genitalia in their minds. Odd I know, but thats what we learned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

On another side note, I prefer my daughter to know what women look like naked. She sees me and occasionally my mother, my sisters etc naked or semi naked. We're all different shapes and sizes and I think it's good for her to know that women can also have saggy boobs, stretch marks, cellulite and wobbly bits, rather than just seeing air brushed images of models in magazines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I think American pediatricians advise to stop at 3. But we also have a lot of shame around our bodies and I wonder how much of that is influenced by our puritanism.

I do recall once I was around 11 or 12 and my brother was around 8 I wasn't really as free to walk around in my underpants and my mother started telling me to wear dressing gowns, etc in the more public areas of the house, like the living room and kitchen. I also remember not really understanding why I was told to do this, but I did it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I remember seeing my mom and dad naked up to around 12,

I tell my 10 year old to 'get out' if I'm changing or in the shower/bath, I have no intention of seeing her naked and havent since she was at least 7 maybe even 6 (she is very private). She wont even let the male doctors see her injection sites and has issues with females nurses checking her injection sites yet she walks round in a bikini and hitches up her skirt.

My boys join me in the shower/bath they are 5 and 3 and no have no bother walking round naked or seeing me in the nip. They even come in the bathroom when im on the loo.

The only people who see my husband naked is me and the oncologist. He is very private.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭EraseAndRewind

My daugther is 9 and my son is 4 and im not a bit bothered about them seeing me naked

regularly shower together and they will also sit and chat with me while im in the shower

My husband wouldnt be as comfortable naked in front of our daugther as she is his step daughter but he will often shower with our son

ds always used to say 'mam you have no willy but dont worry ill buy you one for christmas ':pac:

im hoping that they grow up with a healthy attitude

Advertisement