Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Erasing old site

Options
  • 30-08-2010 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

I've put up a site of a client, but a Google search still shows the old eircom.net site. What can I do to fix? I've submitted my site to Google for listing (added robots etc). Will deleting the old index file of the eircom site fix this? Is there any best practice for this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Rereading this post it sounds obvious that I should get the old site taken offline. I'm wondering should I maybe leave it up with "no not index" code inserted?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Or simply leave a page with a "Site has moved - redirecting" message, and automatically redirect to the new site?

By placing a redirect, would Google automatically not list the redirecting site? Also would a redirect in the index code work or is it better to do it server side?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Google "301 redirect" - that's a permanent redirect.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭fcrossen

Also it is best to 301 redirect from the individual pages to the relevant new ones. i.e.:

Good:
    old-page1.html -> new_page-a.php
    old-page2.html -> new_page-b.php

Bad:
    old-page1.html -> new_index.php
    old-page2.html -> new_index.php

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies. I'll try a 301.

Advertisement