Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitten's pooing here, there and everywhere!

Options
  • 30-08-2010 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

some advice required. I am currently fostering 3 kittens while they try to find their mittens! (sorry couldn't resist! :p) Actually they are waiting for new homes. They are wild cats it seems. From day one they took to the concept of the litter tray, but a few times they have gone elsewhere. And they weren't locked in so they couldn't get to the tray, the tray was clean, they weren't frightened by anything....:confused:

On two occasions now they have poo'd in the bed! :eek: As I say, they had easy access to the litter tray, but just chose to use the bed instead! First time wasn't so bad - just the linens suffered, but last time the mattress got it and all! :mad: They have also gone in a box, in the linen basket and in a shoe!

After a mattress and linen change (and a severe telling off) I am now worried they might do it again - it is proving quite difficult to keep them downstairs - they just sit and wait and as soon as a closed door is open the make a dash for it! It seems to be the thrill of the forbidden! Like I said, it has happened a few times now, and I'm not sure which one is the culprit. And its getting a bit waring, to be honest.

anyway, any cats I have had in the past were very clean and used the litter tray without much fuss. The only times I ever had 'accidents' was if they got locked in somewhere by accident and couldn't get to the tray.

Just wondering if any one might know of a specific reason for this? is it more common with wild cats (although they are very tame and love to be handled - well 2 of them the 3rd is still quite nervy)?

Last time it happened I had the three of them on the bed before hand, we were all having a very civilised time, cuddled up together while we read a book (:)). Then I had to go out, they hid under the bed, and when I got back the mattress had taken the hit! Seperation anxiety maybe? Making a dirty protest at me sodding off and leaving them for an hour??

Any help would be gratefully received, and any suggestions on how to stop this behaviour? I would like them to be well mannered little kitty-cats before they go to new homes! :) (also I can't keep buying new mattresses! I'll be broke by the end of the month!)

thanks!

Advertisement