Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raised flower beds

Options
  • 30-08-2010 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am raising the existing flower beds. Previously i just had stone finish running into the lawn. Now i have put the sleepers down, is it ok to just fill in with compost behind the sleeper, then put my top level layer and then my stones on top? or would i need to remove the existing stones? Also, any tips on moving rose bushes? and one final one, i want a nice bright garden next year, any good plants that will bloow for a few months of the year?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

glineli wrote: »
    Hi

I am raising the existing flower beds. Previously i just had stone finish running into the lawn. Now i have put the sleepers down, is it ok to just fill in with compost behind the sleeper, then put my top level layer and then my stones on top? or would i need to remove the existing stones? Also, any tips on moving rose bushes? and one final one, i want a nice bright garden next year, any good plants that will bloow for a few months of the year?

thanks

Not many perennial plants will flower over a long period, if you want flower power Annuals are the way to go... Most are easy to grow yourself ...Petunias, Marigolds (Slugs love em), Alyssum Carpet Of Snow, My favourite Dahilas late summer (can be Perennials) and lot's more... Every season and every year you can change your garden ...and doesn't have to cost a fortune.

Moving Roses, Not before January but before March 17th dig up with as much root as possible and prune very hard... And don't forget to wear Thick Gloves !!

Advertisement