Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen/cooker extractor fan

Options
  • 30-08-2010 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Folks,

In our 2 bed terrace house in Charlesland Wood we have a cooker extractor fan. While it has a filter it does not have a proper vent to the outside. It is quite useless.

I have seen a few 2 bed houses on Daft and Myhome and in the pictures of the kitchen there is in fact a box section above the extractor which I guess does vent to the outside. In fact one can see a vent on the small lower roof to the back of the houses (present on my house also) which I reckon is the outlet point/exhaust.

My question is;

1: What are the chances that the pipe running to my outside vent is sitting just above my extractor in my kitchen. i.e all I need to do is make a hole in the ceiling and connect it all up.
    2: Given that it is probable that the pipe is not there how difficult would it be to connect one up.

I had a quick look at the vent on the lower roof, it didn't seem too easy to remove it to take a look inside for a pipe so i left it. The last thing I want is to create a leak.

Any advice folks.......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Extractors are great, vented ones that is - but the shorter the better, simply because the longer the run of vent, the more chance of moisture condensing in the vent ductwork and mould gowing inside - cleaning any sort of ventilation ductwork is a big hassle.

So ideally have the shortest possible ductwork - straight through a wall to the outside! In those houses on Daft (the Grove and the Park) they vent upwards, along with the Guest WC extract fan, through the hot press into the attic and out a vent tile on the main roof. I can imagine the lenght of these ducts would cause such condensation problems within the vents. Now think about those people who don't regularly change their filter, or perhaps don't have one at all, their vents would be lined with grease - a potential fire hazard!

Having a filter and the air re-circulating in the room is probably the best solution (IMO) for the orientation of the 2 bed townhouses.

As for the vent tile on the back lean-to roof, this is for simply ventilating the roof space, creating thru-ventilation encouraging good ventilation and - wait for it - would be best practice in accordance with building regulations! Wow they did something right!

Edit****

To answer your questions, the extractor fan in the kitchen is located under the bedroom and you would need to run a duct along your ceiling to approx. over your sink in order to get into the lean-to roof space. It would be difficult to get the vent in between joists above the ceiling as the joists span the width of the house - you would have to core holes in 5 to 6 joists to get this done - I wouldn't even go down this route just for a vent - very risky.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 yellatdave

Recently discovered a similar situation as FirstIn in our 3-bed. Cooker greese/fumes simply vent straight up to the ceiling above the kitchen cupboards. And extractor seems to only have a fine stainless steel mesh, no carbon filter. Useless!!

(1). Has anyone in Charlesland put in a horizontal vent pipe to the external wall, or managed to get Ballymore back to fix this after all this time?
    (2). If I do a DIY job on it, does anyone know where I can buy a vent pipe damper that will ensure one-way air flow out (i.e. no back draft from outside in)?

Any input greatly appreciated!! :)

Extractor_1.jpg
    Extractor_3.jpg

Advertisement