Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hands on with the new JTAG wiring

Options
  • 30-08-2010 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭

Just a very quick post, complete with pictures of a job I did yesterday, showing the new JTAG wiring which no longer involves using diodes but instead uses transistors and new soldering points. This newer method is superior to the old one and reliably contains & converts the voltage required to pull off the JTAG.

The diodes sometimes dropped too much voltage when the SMC was low, causing RRODs. I've not had an RROD on any JTAG I've done since I swapped over to this way ;)

For the full schematic for a Falcon (only the location of the AUD_CLAMP changes between revisions) see: http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/5687/newwiring.jpg

HPIM2403.jpg

HPIM2405.jpg

HPIM2406.jpg

HPIM2407.jpg

HPIM2409.jpg

HPIM2411.jpg

HPIM2413.jpg

HPIM2416.jpg

HPIM2417.jpg

HPIM2419.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Very nice work man, very neat :cool:

What's that little red pcb you have attatched earlier on?
    Thats not XBR is it (9199)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Nice,

I've been out of Xbox stuff for some time, but I need to do two Xbox's, Jasper (for sale) and Falcon for myself. I think I'll do the transistor method.

EnterNow: The small red pcb is PIC based flash reader, similar to LPC2148 but much cheaper. It is not XBR, its freebot. I think this is what people use these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

docentore wrote: »
    EnterNow: The small red pcb is PIC based flash reader, similar to LPC2148 but much cheaper. It is not XBR, its freebot. I think this is what people use these days.

Good man thanks :) I presume the PIC flash reader then is a LOT faster than the LPT method yeah?

Any advantages in me changing over to Freeboot from XBR?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

EnterNow wrote: »
    Good man thanks :) I presume the PIC flash reader then is a LOT faster than the LPT method yeah?

Any advantages in me changing over to Freeboot from XBR?

Yeah, the red PCB is the USB based nand reader. It's significantly faster but only runs with a 12MHz crystal so it isn't as fast as an Olimex LPC2148. It can dump a 16MB nand is 6 minutes give or take. So around 18 minutes for 3 dumps.

After that I write free60/XeLLous and I flash the dashboard (XBR or Freeboot) from XeLL which takes about 20 seconds :eek: The average turnaround for a complete JTAG & Flash is 3hrs 30mins with no problems. I could get it down to 2.5-3hrs but what's the rush :p

Freeboot has the latest dash and seems to be in more active development. However on my own personal JTAGs I've still got XBR :)
    docentore wrote: »
    Nice,

I've been out of Xbox stuff for some time, but I need to do two Xbox's, Jasper (for sale) and Falcon for myself. I think I'll do the transistor method.

Would you not do the Jasper for yourself and sell the Falcon? The transistor method really is much nicer to do, less guesswork. Although double-check the AUD_CLAMP (orange wire going to bottom of the board) as I'm fairly sure this wire carries 1.8v and will wreck stuff if you join it to the wrong point.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I know its totally off topic but does any body know where i can get a JTaggable xbox 360??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Was gonna check this out for the last Jtag (Falcon) I did, but decided to stick with the resistor method.. Looks fairly easy and clean when it's all installed though, maybe next time! Cheers for the info, handy to see someone else try it first!

Does anyone else just WAY prefer soldering onto Xenon boards? They're so much easier to get the Jtag wires onto than newer board revisions.. My POS soldering iron might be causing it, but the lack of anything decent to solder onto doesn't help.

Wanna get a replacement iron, but Peats and Maplin want atleast 30 for one, their cheapo one isn't in stock.. CPC have a starter pack with every accessory you'd need for under a tenner, stand, 1mm tips, flux, solder.. Everything! Gonna be tagging 2 boxes this weekend, so mightn't have it in time though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

My iron cost me about 75 euro, but it'll last me a lifetime :p And it's sort of all the same when it comes to the soldering, a little flux is definitely required, the lead-free solder just doesn't break down as easy as the lead solder so more heat is required.

I've given up trying to nail the ground to any of the headers on the motherboard and go for the AV connector now as you can see in the first picture - SO much easier ;)

Advertisement