Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CRC Sale Question

• 30-08-2010 3:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭

Flicking around the CRC website, they seem to have some huge discounts on Vitus Frames. My Q is are they any good or is this a discount off something that was ridiculously overpriced to start with?
    If they were, I'd think about getting one myself to build up into a nice spec at a low price - there's a
    If they're ok, then I'd think about getting on for the OH - she did the SK50 at the weekend on a city bike and thought it was ridiculously easy and she'd quite like to try some longer rides, so I'm looking at getting a cheap road bike for her (second hand possibly) so a frame for <100 would be a good start.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

I couldn't resist such a large reduction so a Vitus Zenium VR frame duly arrived in the post yesterday! First impressions are that it looks very nice - well finished and nice bright colours (!) I think it's hard to know with the price of frames just what is good value and what isn't so while I would say it was a bit over-priced at its quoted original price, I would say that it looks very good value for what they're selling it at now , and they obviously are selling them as the range of sizes available is diminishing fast.
    I guess that since most people who build up bikes now probably go for full carbon frames then CRC had a stock of these (or bought a load in cheap) and just decided to sell them off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i think the main point is they bought a load of 2008 vitus bikes last year , and were knocking them out (relativley) cheap. saw some other forum discussions were people seemed happy with them, was thinking of getting one before i bought my focus.
    i'm guessing here but i think theyve stripped whats left and sold the parts seperatly and are now getting rid of the frames (and if its cheap who cares)

its just i notice if i buy parts from other retailers i normally get a boxed part, i cant remember ever getting anything boxed from CRC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

I just built up a couple of bikes based on their Hybrid Stag frame. I think it's a very good quality frame. I posted some details here. If you need any more info let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,069 ✭✭✭✭neris

just had a look at those frames. at those prices im tempted to buy one just for the sake of buying one with a view to building it in year or 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

neris wrote: »
    just had a look at those frames. at those prices im tempted to buy one just for the sake of buying one with a view to building it in year or 2.

I actually bought three:o. The third will stay in it's box in the shed until I need it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What have you done? I really dont have spare cash right now(and still jobseeking) but this cheap as chips frame is looking very appealing. Never having built my own before I dont know what a frame should cost or what to look for, but if the original price was any way reasonable, 66% is a nice saving.
    48481.jpg

Thinking about it now, would I be right in saying that bikes are like computers in the sense that self building isnt way cheaper than prebuilt, but more the other way around?

So damn conflicted now:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

they have a 60/62cm frame for around 150euro and it weighs only 1.6kg! pretty good as some of the sale frames weigh more in 56cm size.

I notice CRC sell alot of vitus stuff on their ebay shop. they also seem to sell alot of OEM stuff that usually cant be bought in most places. currently they have pro lite rims and hubs, since they also have decal kits separately for each rim I presume the rims are unbranded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,069 ✭✭✭✭neris

I actually bought three:o. The third will stay in it's box in the shed until I need it!

thats just been greedy now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

Thinking about it now, would I be right in saying that bikes are like computers in the sense that self building isnt way cheaper than prebuilt, but more the other way around?

So damn conflicted now:rolleyes:

you can build a bike up yourself if your not in any rush and are willin to wait around for good deals to come up. i built up a giant tcr, centura groupset with mavic cosmic carbon wheels for around 12 - 1400 a couple of years ago would have been around 3000 in the shops or more. its alot harder to get good deals on ebay anymore tho, too many little scams that sellers can get away with now.

id say them vitus frames tho arent all that great of a deal when you think about it. 150 euro for the frame a groupsets gointa cost 350 minimum then another 250 for wheels (basic wheels tyre n tubes) then another 200 for a sadle handlebars stem etc. gointa be talkin around a grand by the time its finished. for an extra 300 you could get a carbon frame someplace. i got my giant tcr (new 2 year old model but who cares) for 510 euro 2 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

anybody know CRC's ebay shop name?

Advertisement