Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there such thing as a signal booster for your car?

Options
  • 30-08-2010 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

I remember back in the good old days pre bluetooth car kits had an external aerial. Is there any such device available anymore that helps to boost mobile signal while you are in your car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

2436506005_f2281ede13.jpg

here it is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Kaskade

I'm not sure that what I'm after but thanks for the suggestion :D

Kaskade wrote: »
    I'm not sure that what I'm after but thanks for the suggestion :D

haha just joking :) thats a gps mapping vehicle ;) though not sure that there is what your looking for...there are such things as signal repeaters for your house (which are illegal apparently) ...unless you manage to stick it on your car and give it some juice i dont see any other way

tbh i wouldnt think that that would exist as i think most people would find it useless (unless your live around Connemara :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

haha just joking :) thats a gps mapping vehicle ;) though not sure that there is what your looking for...there are such things as signal repeaters for your house (which are illegal apparently) ...unless you manage to stick it on your car and give it some juice i dont see any other way

tbh i wouldnt think that that would exist as i think most people would find it useless (unless your live around Connemara :)

Three have been supplying some home signal repeaters under the national broadband scheme. The one I saw was pretty bulky and didn't seem to make much difference.

meh the one i saw was big and bulky too :) though even with that they only had 3 bars of coverage (showing on the device itself) so the reception on the actual phones was even worse...

i was with meteor and had 0 coverage (damn you Connemara :))

though since three has a contract with NBS i think their allowed to sell boosters...home repeaters are not allowed and are illegal...dont see the point for one in the car as its moving all the time :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ngoyvaerts

Hey, I think this is what your looking for, http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15391, http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26146. All you'd need I guess is a transformer for your car. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Kaskade

I am just waiting for three to install a repeater in our house at the moment but I do find that I often drop signal and calls when driving around. I'm surprised that there has been no follow on from the external aerial that used to come with the old car kits. That made a big difference to the signal in the car.

Ideally of course all of our networks would be brilliant but I doubt that is ever going to happen.

yeah well thats cause the old nokia had an open hole for one in the back of it to fit it into the external antenna (still have that kit in the car) phones today have their antenna hidden on the phone shell so no way to access it...with the "improving" network efficiency and coverage these things become unnecessary :)

Advertisement