Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help, struggling mum!!

• 30-08-2010 4:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭

Hello all, just need a little help with something. I am currently on JSA and I have one child, so I am in receipt of €225.80 a week. Before I do anything €50 goes on rent. I am truly struggling and am fearing the winter as it means the gas will be used again and I am probably going to get in trouble with my bills!

I have not claimed anything other than JSA and Rent Allowance since the day my son was born 18 months ago. I did not go to the Community Welfare Officer for anything other than a medical card.

And here is my dilemma, I was told if I go on OPFP I may be eligible for half JSA also and that would help ALOT with my situation. But to go on that there has to be an attempt to get maintenence off the dad, but he is in full time education and is being supported by his family so he has no money. I am due to return to college myself in January, so I need to have a few bob saved for creche.

Please if anyone can point me in the right direction as to how I can keep my head above water I would be so very grateful!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 pm25

Go and visit your welfare officer, i know some of them are a bit short with their responses or seem a bit rude but you may find out your not getting your full entitlemenrt.

Also on the dad, your struggling, he should be also and needs to cough up......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

You need to attempt to get maintenance. If he does not have the means he will not be required to give you any money. So it's a win-win situation. Just make sure you talk to him first and explain the situation rather than just hitting him with a solicitors letter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Go to Citizens information first if your not comfortable with enquiries at your local CWO unless ur sure you want to go down that road.

I tend to get info from them before going anywhere else. Good luck with it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭uoluol

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I was told if I go on OPFP I may be eligible for half JSA also

Sorry, that's not true. You can't get OPFA and Jobseeker's Allowance. You can get half rate Jobseeker's Benefit with your OPFA if that is what you are claiming.

You probably would be better off on OPFA, yes you would have to seek maintenance, but you should be doing that anyway, as your child's dad should be making some sort of payment towards his child's upkeep. If he is any sort of a half decent guy, he should at least want to.

If you intend to return to college in January then I would definitely advise you to go on OPFA as you would not be eligible for an unemployment payment and attend college full time (it would be taken that you are not available for full time employment). This restriction does not apply with OPFA. Even if you are not elgible for BTEA you can still attend college full time on OPFA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Thank you all for your replies.

The father is a good guy, its just he has less money than I do. His family get formula milk, nappies and clothes for our son, and were great for getting things like his buggy when he was born. But I just need a little more to try and keep going.

I don't want permanent financial aid off the Gov. I want to be able to finish my course and get a good career for myself and look after the little man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

If you get the father of your daughter to write a letter explaining that he is in college full-time. That will generally suffice for the DSP (it did for me at least).

I would apply for fuel allowance for the coming winter, and then go down to the DSP local office, and ask them to explain the exact entitlements to education, under both OPFA, and JSA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

If you bring him to court for maintenance, the judge can make a nil order for maintenance due to his inability to pay.

This will cover you with Social Welfare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

No judge will ever issue a nil order. If you look through Carol Coulter's book, you will see that even people in full time education were expected to pay.

As I said above, a letter will normally suffice. Easier, and less adversarial than court. I would suggest that you stay well away from court unless you want a bitter experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

uoluol wrote: »

If you intend to return to college in January then I would definitely advise you to go on OPFA as you would not be eligible for an unemployment payment and attend college full time (it would be taken that you are not available for full time employment). This restriction does not apply with OPFA. Even if you are not elgible for BTEA you can still attend college full time on OPFA.

Unfortunately you will lose Rent Allowance if you return to full time education without the BTEA though.

OP if you are over 21 you should be ok to receive the BTEA.

Advertisement